Old 10-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Question Caravel questions

I just acquired a 1966 Caravel that is going to require a full monty rebuild and some questions are coming up as I tear into the clean out phase.
1. I thought I would find a Univolt there, but there is an electrical box with switches on it for battery power next to the side access door and another electrical box with many connections aft of that near the closet wall. I haven't gotten the gaucho cleared out yet, so I haven't much info on the second box. Anyone have info on this electrical setup?
2. Those who have replaced the floor have obviously had to remove the drain piping. Did you save it and reinstall or just redo the system with new? (I am not going to change the layout of the trailer. No 'renovation'.)
3. The kitchen range hood has a rusted out base but the round pipe to the outside (where the fan hides) is good as is the square adapter from the round pipe to the base. Are there sources for this range hood? Has anyone managed to repair by doing a 'base transplant'?
4. Did the front gaucho pull out and make into a bed? I don't see much evidence in this trailer that there was ever the set of tracks that let one pull out the front as can be done with the side gaucho.
All help appreciated.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Check for the univolt under the bathroom sink cabinet near the water heater location. Ed

FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Something to think about - renovation is a great time to replace the black tank with something bigger that extends into the closet (see Chris's thread here ) and to put a grey tank under the bathroom sink (plumb the kitchen and bathroom sinks into it. The shower will still drain out, but it's a big improvement). I wish I could do it, but I haven't had an excuse to pull out the bathroom yet

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
There seems to be a maze of wiring between the belly pan and the floor as well as a nest of wiring going into/out of the 'polarity checker'. Anyone have a schematic for the wiring? Especially the brake - exterior lights wiring.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
I have the manual and the univolt for mine was to the left as you look in the access hatch on the street side. the bundle in the belly pan is from the umbilical and as with mine may have been modified. I also found some seriously burnt wires where the Aluminum and copper were spliced and the range hood. Your next question may be concerning the fridge vent which is probably falling apart and I am looking to redo my by first making a mold then a fiberglass vent! You may need to order a couple of sewer vent or (pluming vent) as both of mine were cracked at the base. Vintage trailer supply has them!
Cliff
Old 11-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
The Univolt was aft of the street side wheel house. The thing near the access panel is a 'polarity checker' with its own bundle of wires entering and leaving. I'm tracing the wiring as I take the interior apart to get at the floor and frame. The under the belly wiring is a temporary job, I think. All a part of the puzzle. I may try to bring the wiring up into the trailer and then distribute inside the body. Just a thought.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
That is what I am doing with the wires it has been interesting.
Cliff
Old 11-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
So how is it going? I have been working around the rain and am making some progress! Let's hope that yours goes smoother I had to fabricate 2 outriggers and ended up doing my own welding! Expensive lesson, I have found that if you can do it yourself or are willing to try you can save some bucks!
Cliff
Old 02-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
My time will come

I am still waiting for the dry weather for reuniting the shell with the frame and we have not had 3 dry days of weather since the frame was finished! If I touch the frame it clouds up and then rains. I have it sitting on 4X4s and used trailer tie downs for the windy season.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	204941  
Old 02-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Okay that did not go the way I intended so let's try again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	307.5 KB
ID:	204942  
Old 02-04-2014, 06:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Progress

The inside is bare, the floor is 75% out, and patching on the frame has begun. I am going to have to raise the shell in order to get the floor in. The ribs are down very close to the outriggers thanks to the floor rotting out around the edges. The frame is surprisingly good with most of the rust damage where the bolts for the floor passed through. Cutting out the damage and welding in patches seems to be working.

So far, it looks like at least one of the sides will need replacement for sure, and maybe the other side as well. A local shop is building the wheel houses and the range hood replacement. I'm a way from being ready to start the cabinets and other finish work but it is coming along.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:22 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
sonora , California
In my '66 Caravel, the Univolt was located next to the bathroom cabinet (toilet side). I ripped it out and replaced it with a 30A electronic power converter and charge "wizard" from Progressive Dynamics, Inc., in 2005. Not a single problem since. It eliminates the box of many wires and switches inside the access panel (Note: don't remove it tho). As for the reefer vent, mine was cracked along the edges where it's riveted to the wall. I used the two part epoxy and filled in the cracks. Then pained the entire vent with spray paint made just for plastic, etc. Worked great. If you replace your old ammonia based fridge, you'll still need a vent.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I've expoxied the reefer scoop but don't have the project along far enough to mount it. Just got the pieces for the floor cut and urethaned but the wind is going to keep me from putting it in for a while. Frame repairs are pretty well done and the frame is 90% painted with anti rust paint. I decided to use one of Progressive Dynamics 120V & 12V converter distribution panels when I get to the point of rewiring. It seemed logical to mount it just forward of the street side access panel where the polarity checker used to hang out. I had to make a new door for the access opening as the original door was missing. It is coming along. When I get to the part where things are beginning to show progress, I'll start posting photos. Right now it is just bare, no floor, wires hanging down, mess. Who would want a picture of that?
Old 03-12-2014, 03:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Me I just love a good demolition photo! Lol
Cliff

Tags
caravel