Old 10-07-2009, 04:25 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Originally Posted by MTnestRobin View Post
Hi Caravel Veterans, Where do you put all the kitchen utensils, there are no drawers... just those two bins under the counter?. The overhead bins above the stove and refeigeraror are very shallow as well. Where do you put the food stores, bagged, boxed, and can the overheads? If so, then where do the dishes, bowls, pots and pans end up? How about the coffee pot? I had thought reversing the door on the curb side closet and usiing it for kitchen storage! That would leave very limited storage for clothing, bath towels and other linens in the other, so maybe not. And what about SHOES? GARBAGE? Dirty clothing?? Yup, overwhelmed here!

Anyone want to give a compartment by compartment description of their storage solutions?
I'll take a stab at it.

Kitchen utensils - in drawers above the refrigerator.
Canned goods - center bin under bed.
Pots/pans - Left bin under bed
Coffee pot - above the stove in the overhead locker
Garbadge - I bought a small rectangular can thats fits under the sink.
Clothes/towels - in the closets. I bought a plastic 3 drawer chest that fit in the right closet.
Bowls/dishes/cups/etc. - overhead lockers above the bed.

I put the things I need to get to in the morning in the overhead lockers.
I am just one person so I find storage to be easy for me.
I hope this helps !

Chris AIR # 7276, WBCCI # 7276, TAC OR - 8
Photos of Project 2k5
Project 2k5
Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:55 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts

I'm not sure how ambitious you are, but you might consider this. As we are renovating our Caravel, we decided that the luxury of 2 sinks so close together wasn't worth the loss in storage. We cut out and covered over the sink, allowing more storage below it and we plan to store bedding above it. We're covering it over with a piece of mahogany (really sapele) plywood, coated in West Systems epoxy so it can withstand a splash or two from the shower.

If you ever do work on your Caravel, be sure to check out CJohnson's pix of his restoration. They're great.

65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:40 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
1958 18' "Footer"
1966 17' Caravel
Pierrepont Manor , NY
Thanks for the ideas! Yes it does help! It now makes sense to put the cans under the bed, but I probably wouldn't have done that. I should think large but lighter items up (and thus easy to grab) since I'm short and can't see up in there so well.

I had also thought of the plastic drawers, but dismissed them thinking they wouldn't fit...but now that I know... I even have some on hand I can try out...tomorrow.

And CJohnson, I took 65CV's advise and checked out your photos...and well...WoW!

65CV, do you have a photo of your solution posted yet? I'd be interested to see it.

Thanks again, it really does give me a place to start.
1958 Intl' Globetrotter
1966 Caravel
TAC # Ny-6
MTnestRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:55 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts

I'll post a picture there.

65CV is offline   Reply With Quote