Old 01-19-2015, 11:53 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1967 17' Caravel
georgetown , Texas
Back after a 2 year break

Hi fellow caravelers,

Well reading Jerberrs recent posts, I have been in a similar situation. I bought my 67 Caravel 2 years ago. Have a 4 and 2 year old. Work two jobs and moved from Austin area to Ojai, CA..

I have let my project just sit. But have made it a plan to begin my project. I thank you all in advance for any wisdom you can share.

One great thing is i have a family friend 10 minutes away that has restored 69 Caravel.

I put on a new axles from Colin H. and new tires and the trailer pulled like butter from Texas to California. Was fun. Almost lost a access door in Nevada but that was about it.

The trailer is completely gutted. I por-15'd the frame and replaced all flooring. I had an electrician friend do 85% of updating all electrical until i had to get up and move.

I wanted to ask a question: I have a major scratch along the door side from the door back across about 2 panels from previous owner. It is about 2 foot high off the bottom of the trailer.

Would you all recommend replacing entire lower panels?

Or keep the original in place and put new skin half way up the panel?

Other than creative patches, does anyone have any creative ideas for damage? Ive even thought of using 90 grit and doing bondo and even painting bottom panels or using some epoxy truck bedliner for bottom panels.

I am completey changing layout as i do not have any of the original materials inside. So authenticity isnt a must. But i dont want it to look too ghetto.

Any ideas and thanks in advance.

Ken in Ojai

knishiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:47 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1966 17' Caravel
Las Cruces , New Mexico
The bottom panel (door to last rib) is pretty flexible so bondo may not stay there very long. If the scratch really bothers you, replace the panel(s). They will be shinier than the surrounding panels until you polish the whole trailer. With the interior gone, replacement of panels and buck riveting is lots easier. I personally wouldn't paint or coat the bottom panels, but do what you think is best.
1978 Argosy 6 Metre Minuet
2006 Toyota Tacoma
Argonaut20 is offline   Reply With Quote