Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravel > 1966-68 Caravel
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2007, 12:42 PM   #81

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Globetrotters aren't a whole lot bigger, and the same basic layout. Little trailers are fun, aren't they - and so darned cute!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:55 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
65 Wagoneer and 65 Caravel

Here we are last summer coming back from a Car show. The 65 Wagoneer has the original 327 AMC Vigilante in it... Enjoy! It's the wife's - if she owns one, I have her buy in!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smaller%20Jeep%20and%20Trailer.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	34583  
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:18 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Stefrobrts..Yes. I was thinking after view these neat photos...the Caravel is a layout out very much like our Globetrotter. They are "cute" and fun.
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:55 PM   #84
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Newcastle , Oklahoma
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levon
Just got my new 66 Caravel...and its a Keeper...about the only thing I will do to it is give a polishing. Now I have 3 in the drive...a 63 Bambi 16' (my daughters), and a 60 Pacer 16' (that's for Sale). The Caravel is in excellent mostly original shape...interior and exterior; even the original tile flooring has been reconditioned to new. Can't wait to get it polished, but will re-polish my daughters Bambi first...its been 3 yrs. since it was restored...Should have the Caravel polished and ready to go to the 50th International this year. I will be with the Vintage Group. Hope to see some other Caravels there. Here are some Photos:
Your Caravel looks really nice and I know you'll enjoy it.
I have had people on the forum say I should probably replace my axle even though it has a positive angle when looking from behind. They say you should be able to see the top of the wheel below the wheel well opening. Yours looks kind of like mine where the wheel well is below the top of the wheel. I have not experienced anything negative when pulling my trailer.
Do you plan on replacing your axle?
Barkingdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:22 AM   #85
3 Rivet Member

1981 22' Excella II
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Colbert , Georgia
Gray water tank

Greetings Barkingdogg,
Thanks for your question, I hope I answer to your satisfaction by way of PM. I have a gray water question for you...How large is your tank, where is it located and did you make the upgrade??? I also have considered adding one to this unit...I did add one to a 56 Overlander, and didn't have much room, with a small 3 in. drop uder the belly.

Levon
Levon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:24 PM   #86
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Newcastle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Greetings Barkingdogg,
Thanks for your question, I hope I answer to your satisfaction by way of PM. I have a gray water question for you...How large is your tank, where is it located and did you make the upgrade??? I also have considered adding one to this unit...I did add one to a 56 Overlander, and didn't have much room, with a small 3 in. drop uder the belly.

Levon
HI, It is right under the shower floor. The shower drain goes directly into it. There is a p-trap that goes into it for the sinks grey water. If you don't watch your levels and remove the shower plug it will back up in the floor of the shower. It has its own dump valve that is just below the black water valve. The tank is only about 3-4 inches deep and holds 11 gallons. It is screwed into the floor with wood screws in a flange that goes all the way around the plastic tank. I did not install but it was on the trailer when I got it. The belly skin has been remove from the rear frame cross member to the bumper and the tank & flooring in that area are exposed. I have treated the wood flooring with an epoxy coating on the bottom to seal against water. Seems to work. I also carry a 15 gallon blue tank so I don't have to move the trailer if tanks get full. Our fresh water tank holds about 20 gallons so with 11 grey & 10 black we can boon dock for a couple days.
Hope this helps but I can send pics if needed.
Barkingdogg
Barkingdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 01:01 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Where is the best place to get a few parts for my 65 Caravel??? Need a new fridge vent cover I see vintagetrailersupply has them but would like one not made of plastic....Another question, If I need to replace water heater, mine is partialy external. Is there a replacement?? if internal do they come with Alum. door??? Ralph
Airboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 01:17 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4201KW8G
Where is the best place to get a few parts for my 65 Caravel??? Need a new fridge vent cover I see vintagetrailersupply has them but would like one not made of plastic....Another question, If I need to replace water heater, mine is partialy external. Is there a replacement?? if internal do they come with Alum. door??? Ralph
Some have taken the metal ones currently sold by Airstream and I believe INLANDRV and cut them down to fit with nice results. They are several inches longer than the original. I think the trailer Maxwell owned by member InsideOut was done with the cut down method. They have their own web page full of good advice. I removed my old one that was in poor shape but all there and had a boat restoration shop fiberglass over it to beef it up.

The original water heater for your model had a square box like chimney for the exhaust gases that projected from the side. I havn't replaced mine with a new water heater so I don't know your options but if you get rid of the water heater cover let me know.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 01:29 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Well tnx for the reply.. Im not sure i will want to cut one to size so maybe I will go with the plastic one if its the right size. I think my water heater is orig unit...My Caravel is pretty much all original fridge has been replaced and i think furnace has too.. other then that is like it came from A/S I think. I just brought it back to Mich from New Mexico. Looking forward to camping with it this summer. Its sat unused for 8 yrs...
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
Some have taken the metal ones currently sold by Airstream and I believe INLANDRV and cut them down to fit with nice results. They are several inches longer than the original. I think the trailer Maxwell owned by member InsideOut was done with the cut down method. They have their own web page full of good advice. I removed my old one that was in poor shape but all there and had a boat restoration shop fiberglass over it to beef it up.

The original water heater for your model had a square box like chimney for the exhaust gases that projected from the side. I havn't replaced mine with a new water heater so I don't know your options but if you get rid of the water heater cover let me know.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:38 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Who has a web page?? How do I see it???
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy

Old 04-07-2007, 02:07 PM   #91
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Hi Ralphie,
I think he was referring to Shari's (InsideOut) webpage for Maxwell, its at
index Airstream 1964 Globetrotter - Maxwell

Good luck with your new trailer!
Old 04-07-2007, 02:12 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Steph your everywhere...Too funny...You Tow girl...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin sista
Hi Ralphie,
I think he was referring to Shari's (InsideOut) webpage for Maxwell, its at
index Airstream 1964 Globetrotter - Maxwell

Good luck with your new trailer!
Old 04-07-2007, 04:37 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4201KW8G
Who has a web page?? How do I see it???
Tin Sista was correct - InsideOut has the web page for Maxwell.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 05:03 PM   #94
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Yep I checked it out.. Its pretty cool!!!!
Old 05-14-2007, 05:41 PM   #95
3 Rivet Member

1981 22' Excella II
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Colbert , Georgia
Polishing Begins

Greetings,

Finally getting around to polishing my own trailer. Decided to try a different method than the Nuvite route....I have done it that way on 6 trailers and it does a good job, but takes a long time....I am into 10 hrs worth on the Caravel and it is twice as fast...I am using jewelers rouge this time and am very satisfied with the results so far....will use the cyclo finishing after I have completed.....estimated time will be about 40 hrs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2541.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	37349   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2542.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	37350  

Name:	IMG_2543.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	37351   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2544.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	37352  

Old 05-14-2007, 06:07 PM   #96
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
...I am using jewelers rouge this time and am very satisfied with the results so far....will use the cyclo finishing after I have completed.....estimated time will be about 40 hrs.
Wow! I'm impressed. So, tell me more about this "jewelers rouge"? I never heard of it.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:43 PM   #97
3 Rivet Member

1981 22' Excella II
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Colbert , Georgia
Down and Dirty

Moving right along with the polishing...it's really a nasty job, my wife couldn't resist taking a photo, but the finish product will make it worth while...only got to polish 2 hrs today, but still satisfied with the results. I am trying to finish in time for a rally next week.

Levon
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2545.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	37468   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2546.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	37469  

Old 05-16-2007, 08:06 PM   #98
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Diamond Brite works better

Go to Lowe's - aluminum truck tool box isle, and get a bottle of it... works fast! As fas as a bar of rouge! Give it a try.. I've been polishing on our 65 Caravel as well -well, just a re-polish from over a year ago. Your's is looking good.
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:15 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Do you use a wheel for the Diamond Brite too?? Say it works good??
Old 06-18-2007, 09:21 PM   #100
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
I take it this thread has died???

Tags
caravel