Old 04-11-2005, 09:22 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Future Shine

Took a little polish out on the door of the wife's 65 Caravel. A little Mother's and some Flitz...I know it's not what everyone else uses, but I just wanted to see what it would do with a little elbow grease. I can't wait to polish the whole trailer. The windows are all there in the door, and look at the original door handle and lock, all working.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Future Shine.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	11446  

http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 10:42 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
Just a little note from an Airstream wannabe!

You guys are killing me. I love your Caravels. I think this is just the trailer for my needs...............somewhere way out in the future, of course. For now, I'm building a teardrop trailer for our weekend travels and wishing we had a Caravel. Oh well, dreams are important, aren't they? Post pictures, I luv dem pix!!! They make me drool!

Old 11-14-2005, 08:00 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
Pam, Just when I was ready to sell you mine.
Did you sell it yet?? We can work on the separation anxiety later
Old 03-06-2006, 01:21 PM   #60
aproned dad

1968 17' Caravel
Carmichael , California
Hello and a first post from a newbie owner of a 1968 Caravel! Is this where I sign up for the Caravel club?

We just brought her home yesterday from Phoenix to Flagstaff. She belonged to a friend and their family for the past 6 years and they thought we're the perfect family to carry on the torch. Like a few others who have posted early in this thread, I only knew of Bambis prior to seeing my friends' Caravel. Now I am a proud owner of an vintage Airstream. One more dream will be fulfilled in life when we go camping with it for the first time!

As I didn't start the thread I will not babble on about me and my Caravel unless invited to. But it sure is nice to see other Caravel owners out there. Have a good day and thanks in advance, for this newbie will surely ask lots of questions from here on.

Yay! What a lovely thing that we all are so lucky to have.

Ricky
Old 03-06-2006, 01:38 PM   #61
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingwesty
As I didn't start the thread I will not babble on about me and my Caravel unless invited to. But it sure is nice to see other Caravel owners out there. Have a good day and thanks in advance, for this newbie will surely ask lots of questions from here on.
Ricky
Please babble. We love babble. We also love pics.
Welcome to Airstream mania.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 01:40 PM   #62
AirForums Sponsor

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
Hi Ricky and welcome from another Caravel owner. Funny, I just spent the morning visiting with the guy that started this thread. Post some pictures of your "baby" Airstream. They are fun and people love to look and admire. Here's a picture of our baby.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L1000531.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	19049  
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 01:58 PM   #63
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
That's a really nice pic, Paul. Why not enter it in the photo of the month contest? Nothing to lose and $5 to gain.
http://www.airforums.com/forum...tml#post213497

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:10 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Welcome Ricky

Another happy Caravel owner. We've only had ours 2 months and can't wait to hit the road in just one month. I've really enjoyed doing a clean sweep of the equipment and will start the bueaty stuff soon. Caravels are great!!!!!

Mike
Old 03-06-2006, 07:30 PM   #65

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Feel free to tell us about your Caravel, we love 'em! After we bought our Caravel we had a chance to buy a Bambi, and we snapped it up to restore, but after we brought it home we realized we would never be happy in it, we were spoiled by our Caravel. The Caravel was only a foot longer, but oh so much more roomy! I think Caravels are a best-kept-secret of Airstreams - the Bambi gets all the attention, but the Caravel is the real prize if you can get your hands on one!

When we got ours everyone said it was too small, and we'd be upgrading in no time, but we're heading into our fourth year of camping, and it doesn't feel cramped yet.

Congrats Ricky and Mike. You guys are going to enjoy your minis, I have no doubt about it!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 11:53 AM   #66
aproned dad

1968 17' Caravel
Carmichael , California
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

I haven't figured out how to post the photo as a thumbnail like Paul did above, please bear with my ineptitude.

http://www.airforums.com/photo...ge.php?i=11198

Our Caravel seems ready to go. All appliances seem original and in working condition. She just needs some new cushion fabrics and wife was already imagning it on our way home. Our four and two-year-olds love her too. I am in the beginning stage of remodeling our home but with her sitting in the yard, I find myself staring at her with a big smile a little too often. She is pratically asking me to just hook up and go camping this weekend. Compare the Caravel to our itsy bitsy German Eriba Puck trailer that we tow with our old VW bus, it's a mansion.

I will take more pictures to share with you soon. And yes that was a great picture Paul. I am inspired.

Ricky
Old 03-07-2006, 12:25 PM   #67
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Vallejo , California
Welcome, and thanks for the photo of your new toy. One question? It seems that from your photo you are towing with a 4-runner. I am towing my 65 Caravel with a 1994 Toyota 4-runner with the 3.0 liter engine and 5 speed manual trans. The set up feels solid, power is fine on the flat land, but the hills it is hard to keep the speed up (I usually just drop down to 3rd gear)

I think your newer 4-runner has a slightly larger engine, I would interested in your comments on how well it tows?

thanks,

Stan
Old 03-07-2006, 12:56 PM   #68
AirForums Sponsor

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
Thanks Ricky, nice looking rig you have. The Caravel looks great behind your 4-Runner.

To post a picture in the text just scroll down below where you type your message and there is a window that says "manage attachments". Just click on that and then there will be a blank for you to type in the file or you can browse to find it. There is a size limit, can't remember what it is but I usually resize to around a 4x6 at 72 resolution. After that click upload and then when you submit your reply it'll be there.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 01:04 PM   #69
aproned dad

1968 17' Caravel
Carmichael , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Z
...It seems that from your photo you are towing with a 4-runner. ...I think your newer 4-runner has a slightly larger engine, I would interested in your comments on how well it tows?
Hi Stan, yes we are towing it with our 2000 4Runner and you are right, on an uphill it was a drag. Ours is a V6 with an automatic tranny. From PHX to Flagstaff it's a short drive of 140 miles but a 5000ft climb. At 3rd gear (I think) the engine was running near 4000 rpm to keep the 55mph speed. I could have gone slower and probably will do so in the future to cut down the stress on all parties involved. But I did glance at the temp. guage every now and then and the temp. stayed constant right in the middle, nothing different from a supermarket run. (Sorry I don't remember the exact engine disposition.) I would say a V6 4Runner, with nothing wrong, should handle a Caravel to anywhere except the extreme destinations. Heck I would still think it gets to the extreme, faster than on a bike.

We had the Prodigy installed just this past Friday to operate the brakes and were immediately put to test with an emergency stop as we came to an intersection while still in Phoenix. We were at 35mph coming up to a yellow and it turned red much sooner than I expected. With about 25 feet to the intersection I slammed on the brakes, ABS kicked in on the truck, the Caravel locked its brakes. We came to a hault very quickly. No fishtailing or any sort of unexpected vibrations to the sides. I was at ease since then knowing the hookup performed well.

Ricky
Old 03-08-2006, 02:02 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Vallejo , California
Hey Ricky, thanks for the report. I have found the same thing, on flat ground we can cruise at an rpm closer to 3000, but any hill, or if I want to accelerate you need to downshift and keep it at 4000 rpm or above. Still I can keep up with trucks in the slow lane so I am happy for now.

enjoy your travels,

Stan

Tags
caravel