Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2002, 11:13 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

another Caravel owner

Hi

My '68 Caravel wants to join in.

I'm a designer living in MI. The Caravel was built in CA and lived in sunny Pasadena.
I am the third owner. I drove to CA and towed it back home. Of course, after doing some preventive maint. so the wheels/bearings didn't go their separate ways while driving through a canyon. Three days of driving. It was still on the hitch when I drove down my drive. Minus one hubcap which is now a pancake somewhere in CO.
It has not been "customized" in any way, other than futons being made to replace original foam cushions. I would rate the interior an 8.5 out of 10. Exterior an 8. All systems work just fine although the Armstrong factory air needs a recharge.

The only thing I do not like about this year is the vinyl covering over the interior aluminum skins. I much prefer zolotone. The vinyl is cheapo looking. Someone must have felt it would save a few dollars or thought that if someone threw up on the ceiling it would be much easier to clean.
Old 05-21-2002, 09:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Lightbulb Vinyl Clad Interior

Actually...if the vinyl is adhered securely, you can apply zolatone right over it. Saves the major hassle of removing it and the adhesive.

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 04:10 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Thanks

Hi Shari

Thanks for the suggestion. And you are totally correct. Zolotone or Plextone can be applied over this type of wallcovering.
I was bothered more by the sticky feeling of the vinyl than anything else. I was told to use Future Floor polish on it. I did and presto, all better now.

David W.
Old 05-29-2002, 09:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
David. We were the one that suggested the "future floor wax."
How about telling the group what you had, what you did to clean it up, how you applied the wax, and finally, do you like the results enough to tell others, that "it's the way to go?"
Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 11:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Andy, I also used the Future floor wax suggestion and it dose work and yes everyone should try it. BTW the Future floor wax really works great on the floor also.

On another topic, I ordered a few parts form Inland and they all fit great. I would like to say that the window metal trim frame was the best. I had to replace a cracked window with plastic and could not find anything to fabricate a frame from, I saw the frame on the sale page and went for it made the job easy and kept the original look. I also ordered the clips which go on the bottom of the frame which are used to pull in the window, they are also worth price, I have made a few in the past, buy them. Perfect fit.

Disclaimer, the above statement is my own and not solicited by Parts Andy AKA as Handy Andy. I like to pass on things that work and ones which do not. Other parts that worked door gasket and brake magnets.

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 04:28 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Thanks Andy!

Hello Andy

I'd be happy to relate my experience with the vinyl in my '68 Caravel.
The vinyl covered aluminum panels applied to the sides and top of the Airstream had a "sticky" feeling to the hand which to me and I would imagine to most anyone was kinda gross. First I used Simple Green [kinda sorta removed some of the stickiness] then mineral spirits [suggestion from my partner who is a textile sales rep for one of the largest textile companies. DesignTex.] Did work kinda sorta. I asked her if she sold this vinyl to Airstream. She punched me.

Then I happened across an article posted by Andy on the vintage aristream site. It recommended Future Floor polish.
Didn't think it was even still available. I filled an empty spray bottle with it and misted it over a small section. Wiped off excess, waited for it to dry. Gave it the old hand swipe. No stickiness. I even use it in my hair now. It's swell!!
Found it at Wal Mart.

David W.

you can find the article on InlandRV's website:

http://www.inlandrv.com/
Old 05-29-2002, 08:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
All this time I felt that the stickyness on my vinyl clad alum. was from years of previous owners smoking. I used Fantastik which cleaned it up and a few months later the stickyness was back. What causes it and you say that all you have to do is spray the ceilings and walls, wipe and let dry? How long does this treatment last? Craig

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 08:45 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Vinyl Shminyl Issues

The sticky feeling is not from cooked food or smoke. Perhaps it has something to do with the age of the vinyl. Don't know.
But I do know that I tried various cleaners and solvents to no avail.
Future floor polish is acrylic based and puts a protective coating over it. How long does it last? I don't know as it has only been on for a week. I'm willing to bet that it will last a long time. Like maybe a re-coat once a year. If that.
Also depends on whether you leave the oven door open and heat up the interior to say, 325 degrees. Just kidding

David W.
Old 05-30-2002, 07:34 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Sticky yuk!

I use full strength Simple Green with good results but it takes some elbow grease and does have to be repeated each spring.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 07:48 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

To John:

Try the floor polish. The result will make you forget that there ever was a sticky feel. Plus it takes but a short time to do the entire interior.
Old 05-30-2002, 09:22 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The "Future Floor Wax" treatment will last for many years as there is nothing you can do to shorten it's life, except perhaps if you are one of those that likes to "Dance on the Ceiling."
Eventually, you would wear the wax down.
Andy
Old 05-30-2002, 10:02 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Andy,
My concern is the long lasting effects, does it harm the vinyl or is there anything negative using it? how long has this 'secret' been around?

John
Old 05-30-2002, 11:32 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
John.
I used the Future floor wax in the 1973 31 foot that I had, in 1973. I saw that same trailer a couple of years ago, and the ceilings and walls still looked great. So, how long will it last? I don't know. But certainly we could say 25 years or more.
I have suggested the wax to many owners in the past that were not basically interested. But, since there are many owners today that are restoring, then the questions come up about the why's and how too's. Therefore, I brought the subject up again.

Lets see how far it goes.

But lets not attack Airstream for using the vinyclad materials. They used the best materials that they could find.
So now we have a way of giving the vinylclad a new and different life. Not really, I did that in 1973.

I will sit back and await the negative comments, or maybe I might sit back and enjoy the positive comments from those that like it.

For those that like it, glad I could help.

Andy
Old 05-30-2002, 12:00 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Andy,
Thanks for the information, when experience talks I (usually) listen although sometimes I have to learn the hard way to prove it to myself.

John
Old 06-09-2002, 07:25 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Andy the wax idea sounds good but what did you do "if anything" to prep the surface? One other concern is what if an area gets scraped or damaged do you have to remove the entire section with some sort of floor stripper then reapply the wax or can you do a spot repair without it being noticeable?I'm guessing it sort of depends on how thick you apply the solution ! Have you tried other brands of floor wax? Tom
71tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 10:26 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Sticky ceilings

I used Gel Gloss on the ceiling of my "near mint" 1968 Caravel (it had been in storage for 15 yrs. when I got it in 1989) and found it to work great. No further applications have been necessary since 1989, and the vinyl looks (and feels) great.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 11:09 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Welcome!

Hey Richard,

Welcome to the Happy Caravel Owner's Club!

Would you update your profile so we can know what part of the country you come from? We've got Caravel owners from New Orleans, Washington state, a couple from Vermont, and elsewhere (Rog0525?). If we weren't all so far away we'd organize a Caravel rally...!

-- RL
rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 11:35 AM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hi Richard!

What exactly is the Gel Gloss? I'm figuring this winter I'll do some cleaning up to get rid of the sticky wall issue. For now, as my husband says, if you don't touch the walls it won't bother you!

Wouldn't a Caravel Rally be fun?! I'd drive a long ways for that!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 12:41 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Caravel Rally

Hey Stephanie,

Can an Overlander come?

Gloria
69 Overlander
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 02:14 PM   #20

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Well, of course, we wouldn't want to turn anyone away. Next thing you'd know, it would just be a forum rally, which would be fun too! It would be fun to compare mine to other Caravels though...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel