Old 10-19-2003, 11:51 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Hi all,

We are new to the AS world (just got our Caravel last month) and are planning rock climbing trips...so a rally in Colorado would be right up our alley. Pls count us in!

Laurie

Old 10-20-2003, 12:53 PM   #30
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Don't forget, there's a new thread specifically on this topic. Look for "Colorado Caravel Rally Sep. 2004" in the 1966-1968 Caravel forum, or just click here .

Those who are seriously interested, please post there and we'll do a headcount in early 2004.

-- RL

Old 10-20-2003, 08:06 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1948 16' Wee Wind
Ada , Michigan
Hi Richard and fellow Caravel owners!

Hope that stuff worked out for you, Richard. I may be getting a '68 International Overlander for interior parts soon. I'll keep you posted.

At any rate. Am writing to express my interest in a Caravel gathering. Count me in!

BTW. I have designed and manufactured a pretty cool screen door guard...Just finished. For vintage Airstreams!!
here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2438582844

David W.

http://www.winickdesign.com/Interests/Airstream1.html
Old 10-21-2003, 11:51 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
, Iowa
Caravel Get Together

Yes! If the timing works out, my Caravel would enjoy spending some time with 'kindred souls'. I would come along, too.
WBCCI #4568
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 09:05 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Caravel Rally

I am a new owner of a 1965 Caravel. Is there still a Caravel Rally going in Colorado?

Rob
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 08:33 AM   #34

Caravel Rally in Colorado

Hi, Richard here!

Yep, you bet! We're still planning on a Caravel (and similar Airstreams) rally in late September of this year. We'll meet initially at my vineyard in Cedaredge, CO (on the western slope), and then spend time doing whatever we want...a list of activities will be posted a little later, and I will mail brochures and information about the area to anyone seriously interested in attending. I'll be back in touch a little later, as we get closer to the time. I think the last week in September would be good, as that is when the Aspen trees are in color.

Any comments from those of you still interested in attending?

Richard
Old 06-05-2004, 11:56 AM   #35

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Our plans changed a little. We started a small theater company and our next performance is in October, so September we will be too busy to get out. We'll be heading for the VAC rally in CO Springs in early August though. Maybe we can swing through your area and say hello while we are out that way?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 12:05 AM   #36

O.K. new to this posting thing. Seems to be a bit disjointed, so if I'm getting this wrong, please forgive.

We're coming into a caravel in the near future (sooner the better). A friend of the family has one, and needs a larger trailer for the amount of time he lives in it.

good for us.

The question is, what do people tow their carvels with? I really, really do not want an SUV. An older car is hunky dory, but not a new SUV. I was going to get an older volvo (another passion of mine) but it looks like it is inadiquate for the job. What sorts of things should I look for? weight? engine size? etc?

Thanks.
Dan.

p.s. if folks could post what they tow with, it might help, even if it is "suv" it might give me some information about what I should be looking for. again thanks.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:18 PM   #37

1968 17' Caravel
towing a Caravel

Hi Dan, Welcome to the forums!

We love our Caravel! We tow with an E150 full sized van, which is also our work van. Another member on the forum tows with a small Honda SUV, a Pilot I think.

It's a light trailer, just under 3000# loaded, so you won't need something HUGE. If you like a sedan like a Caprice, that would work fine, and I think they have a more than adequate towing capacity. I was looking for a Caprice Wagon when we bought ours, but finally settled on the van because it could do double duty.

Good luck with your new toy, you'll have lots of help on the forum if you have more questions when you finally get it home.

Old 09-23-2004, 04:07 PM   #38
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Gunter, you could also get a minivan to pull your Caravel, if that's more palatable to you. Any recent minivan with V6 and 200+ hp should be able to do it pretty handily. I'm the guy who has the Honda Pilot, which is great because it's also a nice daily driver. Another member of this forum (Zed) uses a Honda Odyssey for his Caravel and loves it.

Like Stef said, it doesn't take a huge vehicle to tow a Caravel. That's one of the nice things about them. (Plus, they fit in a standard parking space!)

Enjoy

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 12:47 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Sticky Ceilings

I know we are not members of the Caravel Club - but our little GT Club for 69 is not quite big enough.....

I picked up on this thread because it initially was discussing the Sticky Ceilings....it has been a mystery for a while - and when first encountered I combed the archives for hours looking for answers - but all I got was - some type of chemical reaction of the vinyl and that "future floor wax" and "Gel Gloss" does the trick. But that was not good enough for me I needed to know why......and once you find out WHY you will understand the solution much better.

I spent hours cleaning with bleaches and MrGreen to get rid of the "Sticky" and when it felt as smooth as a babies bottom I was satisfied. So now 7 months later I happen to put my hand on the ceiling - in -30 below weather no less and guess what - I own a giant "fly-strip"! We have not cooked in there - we don't even bump uglies in there!!! YET..... so why oh why is it all sticky again.....

We recently went to a Mid-Winter Dinner and Met the infamous Andy of Can-Am (you know that guy some of you here bash about his towing theories) well I was impressed - and we were not talking about the towing topic!

Just a side track of this topic a bit.....The first thing he recommend right after we told him what we had - was a tire change - and go with a mich radial - and do not use the tires they say are comparable to yesteryears tires - ours today are too hard in comparison to the same style tire of 35 years ago. Thus the bouncing in most cases is a problem with the tire not the axle that many change out right away on the smaller units(because the stuff inside is getting trashed all over) - he mentioned that he does not see many bad axles on the smaller vintage units they just don't have the weight to pound on them like the bigger rigs.) The trailer will fall apart because of the bouncing tires! NEVER HEARD THIS ON THIS FORUM....so he had my attention......

I took a chance and asked the "MYSTERY STICKY CEILING" question...and the answer with out a waver and with full confidence.

"The vynol used 30 years ago has dried out - but the glue that was used will never dry out - their are millions of hairline cracks in the vynol which allow the glue to seep out."

While Andy had not heard of the "Band-aid" solutions mentioned above he did explain that "all your hard work would have just smoothed out the glue on the surface.....for a while...until new glue has a chance to seep out."

The real solution is to use heavy duty glue solvants to neutralize the glue through the hairline cracks - or strippers that will remove the vinyl and glue all together.

We bought the Floor Wax and have the Gel Gloss - but ran out of warm weather before we could apply it. So my first order will be to apply something of either when we hit warmer weather in a couple of weeks. And it makes perfect sense as both provide a "coating" that seals the glue under the wax. But it will be a matter of time before the wax breaks down and once again allows for those yesteryear aliens to seep through....

This guy has grown up with Airstreams not like many of us who are just getting into them! - he does know his stuff. His is not a hobby it is a Living.

Thanks for hearing this....I will let you caravelers get back to your "Caravelling" now - just did not want to start another thread on the "Sticky Ceiling" phenomenon. but sure hope this answer will settle of those questioning minds out there.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:18 PM   #40
AirForums Sponsor

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
"...he mentioned that he does not see many bad axles on the smaller vintage units they just don't have the weight to pound on them like the bigger rigs.)"

From what I understand, one of the primary reasons for changing the axle is because the spindles on the old ones have continued to work harden over the last thirty some odd years making them brittle to the point that they can snap off opening up a scenario for a bunch of problems the worst being an accident.

The original axle on our Caravel didn't appear to be shot looking at the position of the torsion arms. However it did have quite a bit of bounce when you walked around inside. After having seen some photos at the VAC rally in Colorado last August of another Caravel or GT that had lost a spindle, I figured it was best to go ahead and order a new one. As it turns out, the torsion arms are in the same place they were, but most of the bounce that I experienced while walking around inside is gone. On trips, stuff does stay put as well.

The eight hundred some odd dollars was a lot of money, but I have a whole lot more peace of mind.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 01:23 PM   #41
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Thanks for that info, Sharon. Very interesting and the theory about the vinyl/glue makes sense to me. Also interesting about the tires/axles. I know Can-Am Andy has been an advocate of changing the tires on most tow vehicles for performance reasons. Since I am nearly ready to buy new tires on the Pilot (over 15000 miles of towing plus 15000 miles of daily driving), I am interested in hearing intelligent theories regarding whether I should change to a lower-profile tire.

I wish he would post on this forum, but he was mercilessly (and I think, unfairly) abused by a few for posting his theories on tow vehicles and I don't blame him for not seeing any point in it.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 01:28 PM   #42

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
We have not cooked in there - we don't even bump uglies in there!!!
Do I want to ask? No, I'd better not

I still say the solution for sticky ceilings is to QUIT TOUCHING THE CEILING!

I had to replace my axle because it had no travel left in it. It was going to shake the trailer apart, bottoming out on every little bump. The new axle gives a ride much smoother, and I don't have to rearrange all the cusions after every trip now.

Tags
caravel