Old 06-09-2002, 08:25 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Andy the wax idea sounds good but what did you do "if anything" to prep the surface? One other concern is what if an area gets scraped or damaged do you have to remove the entire section with some sort of floor stripper then reapply the wax or can you do a spot repair without it being noticeable?I'm guessing it sort of depends on how thick you apply the solution ! Have you tried other brands of floor wax? Tom

Old 09-24-2003, 11:26 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Sticky ceilings

I used Gel Gloss on the ceiling of my "near mint" 1968 Caravel (it had been in storage for 15 yrs. when I got it in 1989) and found it to work great. No further applications have been necessary since 1989, and the vinyl looks (and feels) great.

Old 09-24-2003, 12:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Welcome!

Hey Richard,

Welcome to the Happy Caravel Owner's Club!

Would you update your profile so we can know what part of the country you come from? We've got Caravel owners from New Orleans, Washington state, a couple from Vermont, and elsewhere (Rog0525?). If we weren't all so far away we'd organize a Caravel rally...!

-- RL
Old 09-24-2003, 12:35 PM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hi Richard!

What exactly is the Gel Gloss? I'm figuring this winter I'll do some cleaning up to get rid of the sticky wall issue. For now, as my husband says, if you don't touch the walls it won't bother you!

Wouldn't a Caravel Rally be fun?! I'd drive a long ways for that!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 01:41 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Caravel Rally

Hey Stephanie,

Can an Overlander come?

Gloria
69 Overlander
Old 09-24-2003, 03:14 PM   #20

1968 17' Caravel
Well, of course, we wouldn't want to turn anyone away. Next thing you'd know, it would just be a forum rally, which would be fun too! It would be fun to compare mine to other Caravels though...

Old 09-24-2003, 05:51 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Sticky ceilings (but only when they're touched!)

Hi, again! Richard, here! I posted the message about Gel Gloss. I think I found it at WalMart, but I know I've seen it in hardware stores. A Canadian couple told me about it when I was in Banff National Park. They said they had the same problem (sticky ceiling), and asked their buddies at a rally they were attending. Everyone looked at them as though they were stupid and said, "Why, you use Gel Gloss, of course! Didn't you know that?" Anyhow, a little bit goes a long way. The tin I have is in a sort of ovoid can.

Per request, a little about me...

I am a semi-retired research entomologist (25 yrs. with the USDA and University of Wyoming, studying honey bees and, later, insect vecotrs of disease). I recently relocated to the Cedaredge/Delta area of western Colorado (on the western slope...south and southeast of Grand Junction). My wife is a pharmacist at Safeway, we have a 24 yr-old daughter in Ft. Collins, and no pets at the present time. One of the main reason for moving here was to plant a vineyard in Cedaredge. This spring we planted 2 acres of Pinot gris, which is keeping me busy. Two acres of Pinot noir will be planted next year.

Anyhow, we are pretty "centrally located", geographically speaking, and would love to help organize a rally of some sort-- if any is interested in coming to Colorado. This is a beautiful area, and particularly in the Fall. The aspens are nearly at their peak, right now, and the weather is fantastic.

We have a 1968 Caravel that we don't get to use as much as we'd like to, but have plans for more trips in the near future. We were in Alberta and British Columbia earlier this month and had a great time. Everywhere we stopped campground hosts and others asked for a "tour" of our little trailer. It's great fun.

Let me know if you're planning on some sort of get together....it would be fun to meet others with Airstreams of the same vintage.

QUESTION: On our recent trip I inadvertantly left the cap that goes on the freshwater tank (the cap on the outside, near the propane tanks) at a campground. I was pretty bummed aobut it. Alothough I know I can get something that will work at Home Depot, does anyone have a clue as to where I might find an "original"?

Thanks!

-Richard
Old 09-24-2003, 08:22 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Cool

Hi Richard,
Welcome to the Caravel Club! We all love to talk about our little trailers and compare photos of our work. We just put in a new floor.

Sounds like a Caravel Rally somewhere very close to your vineyards would be great. Actually, 1000 miles is my limit right
now but I would love to rally with ya'll. I just returned from a 3000 mile roundtrip and need a break from extreme distances.

As for the missing part I have a few suggestions. There is a
classified ad section on the Vintage Airstream Club website. I just got a bathroom door, drapery slides, latches, and some interior wood that matches mine exactly from a '67 Tradewind. You have to be somewhat diligent in reading the ads but eventually things turn up. I was nearly giving up on an original door. Keep in mind that it dosent have to be a Caravel that it comes off of. They're all a little different anyway. There is a salvage yard in Florida with a few '60s AS. I just talked to the guy 2 weeks ago. I have to find the number though for you. Maybe you could look for the Tradewind ad too but the body was totaled.

Start a little search and keep us posted!

Heidi
'67 Caravel
Old 09-25-2003, 07:46 AM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Caravel rally 2004 in Colorado?

Hmmm.... sounds like Richard might be hosting the "First Annual Airstream Caravel Rally". September 2004 sounds good to me.

Colorado is probably the most central location we can get, considering that we are all scattered to the four corners of the nation! But western Colorado is still 2000 miles from Vermont ... *sigh* It might take me until 2005 to get there!

-- RL
Old 09-25-2003, 09:49 AM   #24

1968 17' Caravel
It's further than my Caravel has been from home (with me towing it anyway), but I think we could make it. A whole rally of Caravels, wouldn't that be the cutest thing ever?

Old 09-25-2003, 04:00 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Caravel Rally- 2004 ?

Wow, I had no idea there'd be so much interest in a Caravel Rally. If there really IS enough interest-- say, 8 or more Caravels (can we include other models?)-- I'd be happy to organize something for this area (western Colorado). Cedaredge has been host to a really neat motorcycle rally (in August) for a number of years...it would be fun to have a rally for "Caravel-ers"...there are some nice, cozy campgrounds nearby-- a private one just outside of Cedaredge, and a few Forest Service campgrounds just minutes away in the Grand Mesa National Forest (the largest flattop mountain in the world). There are some great hiking trails, spectacular drives through the aspens, and excellent fishing. By September the mosquito population is next to nil on the Mesa. Cedaredge is an "artsy" town that is known for its orchards-- mostly apples, but also peaches, pears, plums, cherries and, most recently, grapes. Vineyards are popping up all over the area (but the Napa Valley needn't be concerned!). Besides outdoor activities, there are lots of things to do in the vicinity (within 1-3 hrs.)...Telluride is a quaint mountain ski village, Ouray is famous for its hot springs, and Grand Junction has lots to offer. Crested Butte, another really neat ski village, is not far away....and, of course, there's Aspen (a little rich for my blood, but nonetheless an interesting town). This is truly a nice area, but it can be pretty hot from mid-May until September. If there is definite interest-- and we can think about it for several months-- I'd be more than happy to organize something so we could all get together. It would be easy to put together a list of things we could do as a group, individually, or some of each.

-Richard
Old 09-26-2003, 09:09 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Richard wrote: (can we include other models?

Well, I'd suggest that the Bambis deserve a place of honor alongside the Caravels, since they are our closest relations, especially the Bambi II. I'd personally like to see a few more of those.

And in good A/S spirit we really can't turn anyone away. They are all brothers under the aluminum! But of course the Caravels would occupy a place of honor!

You know, I was sort of joking about this rally idea but it *could* work! Just sharing restorations, modifications, lifestyles, and techniques would be really valuable. And if we had time to plan for a couple weeks off work, there would be time for a real adventure along the way!

Can we get 8+ Caravels (and perhaps Bambis) to show up? Let's see: Stefrobrts, HHuber, rluhr, Rog0525?, Richard, davidw (if he's still active on this board), and maybe I can talk Steve from AirstreamDreams to bring his shiny Caravel too. That's 7 Caravels if we could get everyone to show up, plus perhaps a few Bambis? Anyone know anybody else to invite?

BTW, in separate threads I and others took WBCCI to task for having dull rallies that don't appeal to folks with an active lifestyle. So to avoid being a hypocrite, I'd like to suggest a really exciting schedule with lots of (optional) activities. I love the fact that Richard emphasized the outdoor recreation available in Colorado! I can guarantee you that we would be out most of each day, hiking and sightseeing (especially wineries) with our 4-year-old. See the rest of you at dinnertime for the potluck!

-- RL
Old 09-26-2003, 11:43 AM   #27

1968 17' Caravel
Count us in! Maybe we can get together for sightseeing, hiking, and then hang around the bonfire at night talkin' aluminum. Sounds like fun! I know there's a couple Caravel lurkers around here too, maybe they'll decide to join in...

Oh, and don't forget WeeWind! We'd love to see some older little guys show up too - Weewinds, Pacers, Bubbles. Wouldn't that be cool?

Old 09-26-2003, 07:42 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Rally 2004: CARAVELS IN COLORADO !

Wow...this is sounding better and better all the time! It appears as though a bunch of you Caravel-ers really would like to get together in western Colorado in September 2004. And, I agree, Bambis and other "bubbles" should be welcomed, as well. But shouldn't we limit it to "smaller than Twinkies"? That is, if your AS looks like a Silver Twinkie, then it may be just a l-i-t-t-l-e t-o-o l-o-n-g for us. Yes, it's true that "Size Matters"....but, for us, we specialize in SMALL (trailer-wise, of course). Actually, I'm up for whatever everyone else wants....

By this time of year (mid to late September) it's easy to get plenty of campsites, though I'll definitely reserve them in a block so we'd be together (from the air it will look like an invasion of toasters!). Let's just think of good ideas, for now, and then around the first of the new year we can get serious about all the particulars (private vs Forest Service campground(s), a list of scheduled activities for those interested, and so on).

After everyone gets their trailers set up I'd be happy to have a wine and cheese social at my vineyard location the first evening so we can all meet each other, and then we can head back to the campground for a potluck. My actual vineyard is only 2 acres-- and was just planted this year so the vines are small-- but there are 20 acres altogether so there's plenty of room to romp around. Then, it would be 5 minutes to the nearby private campground or 20 min. to the Forest Service campgrounds. I'd be happy to get lots of literature on fun things to do in this area (including maps of hiking trails) and send the info to everyone by snail mail. Mostly, we just need to decide-- early in 2004 if possible-- who is TRULY committed to this event.

-Richard

Tags
caravel