Old 09-03-2018, 01:21 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
68 Caravel Wheel Tire Pressure Max - Hot Weather Inflation

I recently put a pair of new Goodyear Endurance ST205/75R15 load range D tires on a new-to-us 68 Caravel, single axle 17 foot vintage.

The Airstream dealer in Tucson inflated them to 60 psi cold at 106 degrees F ambient. The tires are rated at 65 psi max. Both pressures are within the load capacity ratings for the trailer. In fact I could have run 50 psi and still have been within the load capacity necessary for the trailer.

My concern is two fold.

One....what in fact is the psi limit of these 50 year old wheels? (nothing stamped on the wheels) Do I need to install newer wheels?

Two....I went with 60 psi because I wanted to make sure that there was enough air to cool the tires during the week long trip back to California in triple digit temperatures. I've heard that many tire failures are attributed to running lower tire pressures than optimal for hot weather travel. Is this conventional thinking or is more air/higher pressure actually necessary in hot climates?

The tires read 52 psi when I reached the California coast (68 degrees ambient).

So...I'm wondering, is carrying an air compressor and adjusting inflation according to ambient temperatures a good practice? How many of you guys do that?

SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The load charts for a given tire carrying a given weight are set to give the proper running temperature of the tire.

That said you would have to check the tire pressure going from 105 degrees to a 65 degree area just as you have to reset tires for winter and summer temperatures.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 04:59 PM   #3
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
POI...first thing we did when we got our 63 Safari was new tires & wheels.
The GYE is a radial tire I would not trust 50yr old, most likely bias designed wheels. Quality steel wheels are not all that expensive.

I set our TP once at the beginning of the trip. Cold.
I do not adjust on the road unless an emergency.
You have to set TP cold. A tire/wheel thats been running at hi-way speed will take quite awhile to cool down.
A TPMS will provide running psi and temps.
We use EZTire.
I do carry a portable compressor 👍

Bob
🇺🇸

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel it’s supposed to be done"…..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:54 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
Leawood , Kansas
I had concerns about the correct tire and wheel size on the '68 Caravel. I ordered the owner's manual for all models in '68 from AS and double checked in two places to confirm it called for a 15 X 7.75 inflated to 45 psi. I thought the capacities table was wrong initially as it called for a 15 X 7 on a GT and Safari, but the wider section tire on the lighter Caravel. Toward the back of the manual it shows the tire pressure is 45 psi for the Caravel and 55 for the others.
docflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
106 t0 68 is a pretty wide range in ambient temperature so you need to adjust. In general, I do not adjust tire pressure much during a trip. I did buy tires in Salem, Or in July this summer and then adjusted later in a colder climate. I do not carry a compressor for that. It is some trouble finding a good one but I use the air hose at a filling station the rare times I do need to adjust. It is not an emergency if it takes several days to find a good place,

I do not know about the wheels. My 30 year old wheels are working fine and I have not questioned them. But with the tire size I have I am running a max of 50 psi.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel