Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravel > 1966-68 Caravel
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2011, 06:44 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Landenberg , Pennsylvania
'67 Caravel Restoration Electrical question

Hi Everyone,

I have been restoring my 67 Caravel for about a year now and I just replaced the old power supply with a new Intellipower 45 amp converter and small 12v Blue Seas Systems fuse panel. I have a few electrical questions:
1. The converter has a ground lug on the side. May I run a wire from it and clamp it to the ground wire in the main electrical panel or must I ground it separately to the chassis? Can I clamp it to the copper plumbing pipes since that is grounded to the chassis?

2. Is #8 wire sufficient from the converter to the battery. I have about a 7 foot run. And what wire gauge from the battery to the panel?

3. Instructions show the converter power going to the battery. Then battery to fuse panel. I see some other people refer to the converter leads going to the panel and then to the battery. Does it matter?

4. My lighting circuit in my Caravel runs all the 12v lights. The wire is #10 alum romex. I would assume that I should then use a 20amp fuse for it. I don't know what amperage fuse to use for the water pump circuit? Any ideas? And, the fuse amperage for the Fan circuit? Since they are all the #10 alum romex do I fuse them all with 20 amp fuses? I also have a radio circuit. What amperage fuse should I use on this. Is it all dependent on the wire size. (I'm thinking that is the answer as I write this.)

5. Must I use a battery isolater switch or off and on switch? Is it a good idea or required.

Thanks so much in advance for your help.
vonzellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
1. The converter has a ground lug on the side. May I run a wire from it and clamp it to the ground wire in the main electrical panel or must I ground it separately to the chassis? Can I clamp it to the copper plumbing pipes since that is grounded to the chassis? I would recommend Grounding it to the skin.

Is #8 wire sufficient from the converter to the battery. Yes

3. Instructions show the converter power going to the battery. Then battery to fuse panel. I see some other people refer to the converter leads going to the panel and then to the battery. Does it matter? What ever uses less wire.

The wire is #10 alum romex. If your trailer is gutted. Get rid of the aluminum wire. You should be using stranded copper wire for the DC circuits. Use copper romex for AC circuits

5. Must I use a battery isolater switch or off and on switch? Is it a good idea or required. What are you doing with the switch? Isolating the battery or turning something off and on?

A few of the members of the forum assisted Lindy in completely rewiring her vintage trailer. If you read thru her thread it should answer most of the questions. If you need more help we are here. Just click on the address below.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...tem-70667.html

TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel