Old 11-10-2007, 12:22 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

'66 Caravel questions

I have a '66 Caravel in the shop with a strange bath arrangement. Instead of the normal curbed shower pan in the center with the raised portion below the toilet for the holding tank, this one has no holding tank and the shower floor is esentially flat all the way to the roadside wall. There is a slightly raised oblong area where the toilet should be mounted (toilet is long gone!) with a direct 3" outlet through the floor to the hose connection outside. Underneath the rear of the trailer, there is a back-flow device to prevent black water from flowing into the grey water drain lines also connected to the 3" outlet. I'm wondering if Airstream ever used the Monomatic chemical recirculating toilets in these models. The serial number is SO 17 S6002, mfg date 65 so it must have been a fairly early '66 model. I've looked in the archives of Vintage Airstream Home at Caravels from '65 thru '68 and have not seen anything like this arrangement. Any guesses? Thanks, Darol

Old 11-10-2007, 12:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls
I have a '66 Caravel in the shop with a strange bath arrangement. Instead of the normal curbed shower pan in the center with the raised portion below the toilet for the holding tank, this one has no holding tank and the shower floor is esentially flat all the way to the roadside wall. There is a slightly raised oblong area where the toilet should be mounted (toilet is long gone!) with a direct 3" outlet through the floor to the hose connection outside. Underneath the rear of the trailer, there is a back-flow device to prevent black water from flowing into the grey water drain lines also connected to the 3" outlet. I'm wondering if Airstream ever used the Monomatic chemical recirculating toilets in these models. The serial number is SO 17 S6002, mfg date 65 so it must have been a fairly early '66 model. I've looked in the archives of Vintage Airstream Home at Caravels from '65 thru '68 and have not seen anything like this arrangement. Any guesses? Thanks, Darol
Airstream never made a trailer as you describe.

The previous owner(s) obviously had some kind of game plan, but what it might have been, is anyones guess.

Andy

Old 11-10-2007, 05:27 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Here are a couple photos of my "freak" Caravel. Anyone seen anything like this? Darol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'66 Caravel plumbing 001.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	49127   Click image for larger version

Name:	'66 Caravel plumbing 003.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	49128  

Old 11-10-2007, 05:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
I never have.. Think Andy could be right..Custom fab job on the unit..If you want to put it back to orig there is a gal on here that has alot of the stuff to do it for sale. Im not sure but looks to be made in Ohio, 2nd one built for 66 model year...
Old 11-10-2007, 06:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls
Here are a couple photos of my "freak" Caravel. Anyone seen anything like this? Darol
The white material coupled to the black, says it all.

A previous owner, modied things from original.

What all and why, who knows.

Makes for fun projects to return it to original, or finish up what they started.

Andy
Old 11-10-2007, 06:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
That and the hole cut in the belly pan!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2007, 10:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Darol,

Interesting design for a 66 Caravel... now you can choose to make it really "unique" or retro... or design something totally new! Personally, the "big" shower/bath across the back in the Caravel is nice... but to me a waste of space. The tiny shower we have in the Bambi is enough if one isn't fussy, but the storage and room for other things would be a first choice for me. I can envision a entire computer center... or media stuff... [you know, 5 min in the shower vs. 5 hours online...] Might be interesting to know what others would do.

I am sure if Chris is "looking" he can chirp in with his opinon! He knows the Caravel [his 65] well!

Claudia
aka
Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson)
Old 11-10-2007, 10:18 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Claudia, Chris and I have already conspired on a holding tank plan. Trouble is, it's not my trailer so I have make it according to someone else's wishes. I suspect someone modified this one some time ago. Did a nice smooth job on the inside, however. The belly pan was complete - I just removed a portion of it to see what went on under there. See you in the spring! Darol
Old 11-11-2007, 12:16 AM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I met some folks with a 59 Pacer that went stright through - when you looked down in the toilet with the flap open you could see the ground! They just put a garbage bag with kitty litter under the hole. I think I would go with a blue tank at least!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Darol,

I was sure you had already spoken to Chris! Interesting change someone made, will still be interested in knowing what you do to it for your clients!

Claudia
aka: Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson)
Old 11-16-2007, 03:05 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

More interesting finds: Strange wiring to add-on "fan" switch by the TV antenna location but no fan, a note in the kitchen drawer "To flush the toilet, get a bucket of water from the outside faucet," and several short pieces of radiator hose in the fresh water system. With all the SS hose clamps I'm finding, I may never need to buy any again. Anyone have a wiring diagram for a '66 Caravel? Darol
Old 11-16-2007, 03:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
I have the original owners manual for my 65 Caravel and Im sure it has the wiring diagram. Mine is Ohio made and looks as if the 66 is also.. I think they are close to the same trailer. Im sure other members will know more about that part then I do...
Old 11-16-2007, 03:59 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Wiring diagram for a 1965

Darol-

Here's the 1965 version. No warranty expressed or implied.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	electric_manual.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	49403  
Old 11-16-2007, 04:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I met some folks with a 59 Pacer that went stright through - when you looked down in the toilet with the flap open you could see the ground! They just put a garbage bag with kitty litter under the hole. I think I would go with a blue tank at least!
YUCK!

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel