Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2002, 05:19 PM   #1
Vintage Trailer Supply
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Montpelier , Vermont
Thumbs up '66,'67,'68...separated at birth

I want to thank Andy for setting up this forum.

I own a 1967 Caravel and love to talk with others who own identical Airstreams.

The 1966, 67 and 68 models are nearly identical. They have curved glass windows which make a sleek look. In 1964 and 1965, the Caravel was produced, but it was slightly different. In 64 it was called a Bambi II but was like the 65 Caravel. In 1969, Airstream had moved on to the new body design.

I can't wait to hear from other 66-68 Caravel owners!
WBCCI #1573
VintageRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 10:37 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Count me in !!

Steve,

Count me in to the 1967 Caravel Club !! I love my 67 and of course think there is no better year!! Mine is 95% original and I am keeping it that way!! You sold me a a/s full moon hubcap on e-bay last summer ... Still looking for a match!! Bummer !! Would love to swap pics of our sibings!

Dave in Chicago
airstreamcaravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 11:20 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Thumbs up me too!

Hi

My '68 Caravel wants to join in.

I'm a designer living in MI. The Caravel was built in CA and lived in sunny Pasadena.
I am the third owner. I drove to CA and towed it back home. Of course, after doing some preventive maint. so the wheels/bearings didn't go their separate ways while driving through a canyon. Three days of driving. It was still on the hitch when I drove down my drive. Minus one hubcap which is now a pancake somewhere in CO.
It has not been "customized" in any way, other than futons being made to replace original foam cushions. I would rate the interior an 8.5 out of 10. Exterior an 8. All systems work just fine although the Armstrong factory air needs a recharge.

The only thing I do not like about this year is the vinyl covering over the interior aluminum skins. I much prefer zolotone. The vinyl is cheapo looking. Someone must have felt it would save a few dollars or thought that if someone threw up on the ceiling it would be much easier to clean.
Old 05-21-2002, 01:36 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Welcome

Welcome to the "Caravel Club" ... Have any pictures of your little friend? I'd be very happy to talk Caravels with you. I love my
aluminum chunk of funk!

DMC
airstreamcaravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 02:59 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Caravel Questions

Hello Caravel owners,

I am trying to decide on an A/S model to purchase and am looking at a 66 Caravel. Can anyone give me an idea of the typical interiors? What I am wondering, since I know little to nothing about Airstreams, much less model specs, is the following:
What are the sleeping arrangements? Can it sleep four? All I see are an L shaped "sofa" and a twin sized bunk. Do either of these pull out to a double?

Is there no table to go with the L sofa? Could you install a removable one or is there not enough room?

What is the typical bath configuration? Is it just a sink and toilet? Or is there a shower as well?

Any thoughts on the feasibility of this being a 4 person (close family) traveler for short-med length trips are greatly appreciated. (Two weeks or less)

I really want to get something in the 14-20 foot length as storage is an issue. I absolutely love the smaller A/S's as they are really unique looking. Can't wait to get my hands on one and get busy! In the meantime I will be reading this great forum for suggestions and information.

Thanks,
Tamara
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 03:06 PM   #6
Vintage Trailer Supply
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Montpelier , Vermont
Caravel Questions

Tamara,

A 1966 Airstream is a wonderful thing. However, sleeping 4 is tough. My '67 has a pull-out sofa on one side. It pulls out to a double bed for two adults. The L-shaped sofa in the front pulls out to a double also, but it is too short for adults or larger children. The table folds down along one side, and swings out when in use making the L-shaped sofa a dinette.

The bath includes a shower.

I think you would be better off looking at a slightly larger trailer.
WBCCI #1573
VintageRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 03:54 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Hello Tamara

Perhaps going to this site and having a look at the interiors of Caravels might give you an idea of the space.
I think that a Globetrotter or Safari might be a more practical size.
Caravels are kinda cozy for two let alone four.

David W.

http://www.vintageairstream.com/archives/index.html
Old 05-27-2002, 04:04 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Hi

Hi DMC

Sorry about not replying sooner. Been very busy this last week.
Also been working on my Caravel. Nothing major. I want to "settle" in to the interior before I decide if I am going to modify it. I have a complete metal and wood fabrication studio. I'm not going to say much about Airstream's interiors [quality of construction] It's adequate for something mass produced.

David W.
Old 05-27-2002, 05:35 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Thanks for the Advice

Thanks Steve and David for your advice,
I fear you may be right about the size. I was also looking at both the Safari and the Globetrotter - so I will focus my search for one of those models. But the Caravel is just so darned neat!

I've been voraciously looking at all the pics on VintageAirstream.com, and reading all the for sale ads onlione, hope to find the perfect gem to take home and clean up some day soon. Planning a trip to California next summer, wouldn't it be that much more fun in a classic Airstream!

Thanks again,
Tamara
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 09:24 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

'66 -68 Airstreams

Hi All

We find our 66 Tradewind is a good size for the 4 of us. Smallest Airstream with tandem axle and separate sleep area. I agree with the comments about the visual appeal of the more compact units
Attached Images

VAC
https://pages.sprint.ca/Streamsite/main.html
66TradeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 04:42 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Quincy , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to Derk Send a message via Yahoo to Derk
Thumbs up

Hi,
I just wanted to add about the sleeping arrangments of "Our" 66' Caravel. Before we left last Tue. for our annual fall family campout I thought of a better (much more compfy) way to sleep. Our sons have moved out over the last two years leaving behind two twin mattresses. After a quick trial fitting they fit perfect. with room to walk by the sink. I just slept on a REAL mattress for the last six nights and never slept better. Of course you have no use of the table, but we had all of that outside.

I don't see them coming out of our Caravel very soon.

Derk
Derk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 07:33 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Any thoughts on the feasibility of this being a 4 person (close family) traveler for short-med length trips are greatly appreciated. (Two weeks or less):

We sleep 4 (2 adults-2 kids, 10 and 7) in our 19-foot bambi very comfortably if you don't mind dropping the dinette every night. Been on two week trips, and love every minute. Two full size dogs too.
cactushead is offline   Reply With Quote