Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravel > 1966-68 Caravel
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2014, 04:36 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
4 years and not much to show!

I thought some of you may have wondered where I went to, I dropped off the forums.

I have tried to drag my husband to get going on our 66" Caravel and he has dragged his heels. We have had it for 4 years and only have had a new axel, some propane lines capped, and gutted it ourselves. We discovered there had been water damage to cabinets, floor. We left the bathroom in place, waiting for professional to help us decide. Dan wants to tear out the bathroom and have a dedicated back bed. I like having a nice roomy bathroom.

It really became a source of resentment for me, I wanted to camp 4 years ago.

A month or two he came home with 2 dozen roses and announced that he had sold his dental practice and we could move to Washington. (I am orginally from Washington, he was born and raised in TX.) Oh yeah, he thinks we need to sell the airstream to liquidate our assets.

So, I now I know why he was dragging his heels. I'm pretty darn attached to that Caravel, mess that she is. (Poor Sylvia!)

I am proposing that we take her to another restorer I found (that we could afford and doesn't have a year waiting list-) and let him work on her while we deal with moving. If we abolutely cannot afford the restorations after moving, then he can sell her. Hubbie says we can buy one after we move, and not have to move it.
I think I wanted it to help us move! How many hotels will take 4 dogs and 1 cat? Two dogs are great Pyrenees!

I really don't see as many "good deals" for sale in WA or OR. Some, but TX. has more. Especially, not Caravels!

One of the regions we are looking for a practice to buy is the gorge and up around Vancouver. So, maybe we will be heading your way Stephanie S!
Wish me luck over the battle of Sylvia.

Jerri
jerbear315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
Man, that's a lot to consider! I think your proposal sounds like the best option. Just be prepared to turn her over if you restorer has more in it than the trailer's value. Hopefully that won't happen and you can get her back, restored to the way she should be. Maybe your husband will see Sylvia in a better light when she is restored. Good luck and let us know how things go.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Small trailers are hard to come by, but it looks like you both have different ideas on the subject and I don't want to take sides. Somebody else doing the work is going to be expensive, maybe more that it will be worth when done. He probably wont have the time to do it or maybe the energy or both considering he will be starting a new practice. You have the emotional attachment to it, he doesnt. See where I'm going with this? One you you has to give in, think about both sides and come up with a mutual decision.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I think there is a fairly active Airstream community around the Vancouver area. In fact a friend of mine just bought a '66 Tradewind in Portland and hauled it all the way back to Minnesota.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear315 View Post
It really became a source of resentment for me, I wanted to camp 4 years ago.

A month or two he came home with 2 dozen roses and announced that he had sold his dental practice and we could move to Washington. (I am orginally from Washington, he was born and raised in TX.) Oh yeah, he thinks we need to sell the airstream to liquidate our assets.

So, I now I know why he was dragging his heels. I'm pretty darn attached to that Caravel, mess that she is. (Poor Sylvia!)

I am proposing that we take her to another restorer I found (that we could afford and doesn't have a year waiting list-) and let him work on her while we deal with moving. If we abolutely cannot afford the restorations after moving, then he can sell her. Hubbie says we can buy one after we move, and not have to move it.
I think I wanted it to help us move! How many hotels will take 4 dogs and 1 cat? Two dogs are great Pyrenees! ...

Jerri
Warning! Warning! Warning Will Robinson!

I have a pretty vivid imagination AND am nearly psychic about reading between the lines.

First "A restorer ... that we could afford and doesn't have a year waiting list."
Can a competent restorer NOT have a waiting list? And affordable? You can sometimes find a great tradesman who doesn't know how to run a profitable business, but sooner or later bankruptcy teaches him... and your job gets abandoned half done! Or worse, you get one of those frame on floor replacements where the new floor butts up to the old one - 2 inches inside the C-Channel!
Second - primary disagreements about layouts - suggested you get another Airstream once you get to Washington. And - he surprised you by selling his practice?
I sure as hell know I'm not Dr. Phil... and this is his territory. Seems to be a fundamental disconnect about communication and the "ongoing negotiation" needed in marriage. (I'm not a huge fan of "counselors" except for those who insist on treating the couple as parties involved in a binding arbitration.) I may be way off here, you sound kinda happy about moving to Washington so maybe this is a long term dream delivered early. If so, great. Being only moderately paranoid, I would want to find out whether "another Airstream" is an imaginary pacifier or not. (Honey let's buy a new one and use it to move, and then as temporary housing for the dogs and ourselves!)

Plans change. Your plan may be a happy change but every change is stressful as our species is hard wired to be comfortable only in the familiar. Trying to get renovation done and move and leave old friends and find new ones, and retire, and and and....
You really have a dream of renovating your Airstream. I wrecked one a year ago and have been pleasantly surprised at how infrequently I ever think of it, especially when I open the hatch of the new-to-me Eddie Bauer or smile at the leaf pattern on the overhead cabinet doors or.... Hate to sound callous, but a nearly new, road ready no headaches Airstream or a beautiful already done restoration by a well known and respected renovator who has lots of pictures of how the guts were upgraded? Either one could console you 99% for Sylvia, and you could pass her on to someone who wouldn't have any time pressures to get it done. (I'd cry over a pet dying for a year... but Airstreams are special but they are special THINGS, not sentient beings (I'm not sitting in mine while writing this though.)
Old 06-11-2014, 03:37 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Well, I hate to see anyone give up their dream. I guess I'm lucky that my husband (who was initially skeptical about the whole idea) loves our Caravel as much or more than I do! You may need a marriage counselor to work this out But if you make it out here, I hope to see you around the campfire sometime, whether you come in your Caravel or a new Bambi

I agree, if a Caravel is what you want, they are few and far between. You should keep what you have, since you already know what is going on with it. If you are open to some other Airstream, then you can have fun shopping up here. Either way, try to get a house with RV parking so you can keep it at home

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia

I can feel your pain. I had something similar happen to me. You can read my restoration thread. I ended up having to let go of it all the resentment and the trailer. He just was not as interested in working on it as I was. He did not have the vision. In the end, we compromised and sold it, my beloved vintage project and got an almost new one, something he didn't have to work on and one I could go camping in. We are quite happy now and we drove off into the sunset. (See avatar) Lol. I wish you the best.
GAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
Thanks for everyone's responses. We've actually been through much worse and have a counselor we worked with when his daughter was trying to make him choose between her and myself! So, this is nothing compared to that hell. She's almost 18 now and loves us both. At any rate, He may be right about needing a little larger trailer, he is actually more interested in a 22' with double (axle)wheels, forgot the model name, but it has a dedicated bed in the back. It's a 2011 model? He was told by someone that the double axle models have less of a problem if there is a flat and that made him paranoid about the Caravel.

At any rate, he is refusing to even fix her flat tire so we can get her to the restorer sooner. Just doesn't want to deal with it.

Wish I knew someone nearby that could help me fix it. We don't even know what kind of jack to use! My question is: if I want to pay for a renovation or a new one-how does one get a loan for this? It does make sense if we go live by family to have a bigger one to take my mom and daughter camping too. I can pay for keep my lil' Sylvia and he can find himself that other model!

I have my cards and car paid off. I just need to get a job the minute we get to where I am going. There are not nearly as many LPN jobs in WA. as there is in TX. More on the western side it appears.

If I can remember that model, I'll tell you. I did like the layout quite a bit better, just like small trailers.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
Oh, here is the restorer that I have talked to. We love Lance at Top's Trailers, but he works by himself and has a year wait. Charges more than many restorers. This other person Sean O'Malley is about the same distance, and he wants restoring to be more affordable and will work with others or do high end also. He doesn't have a year waiting list because he hires a staff and therefore they can work on 4-5 trailers at a time.
Here is his site: Trailer Manufacturer, Airstream Restoration | Johnson City, TX
Old 06-15-2014, 03:11 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
Here is the floor plan and axle he likes, I like the floor plan also. But we bot prefer the charm of vintage. He likes 50's, early 60's. These are too expensive for us, even used.

Used Airstream Flying Cloud 23Fb For Sale
Old 06-15-2014, 04:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear315 View Post
Here is the floor plan and axle he likes, I like the floor plan also. But we bot prefer the charm of vintage. He likes 50's, early 60's. These are too expensive for us, even used.

Used Airstream Flying Cloud 23Fb For Sale

He is right about axles. A double axle is safer than a single axle. It has been my experience that it costs as much or more to restore one than purchase new or slightly new unless you can do the work yourself. It is a labor of love. I did do a lot of the work, but my husband just was never fully on board. You can call most tire companies and they will come out and change the tires. They charge for it too, but it maybe worth it. Have you pulled any of the interior out to check subfloor especially all around the c channel?
Old 06-15-2014, 05:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I am fairly new to the forums, and not that it's any of my business, but I see these points for your consideration.

Why would you consider hiring this out now, but not 4 years ago?

Just because a good restorer in Texas has a year wait list doesn't mean you can't leave the trailer there for a year even if you move. It's not Mars, its just Texas. Is this not an option?

Are you really engrossed with the Idea of doing a restoration together as a process, the Idea of the end result of having a vintage trailer, or the Idea of a great trailer to camp in? These are all different objectives.

How much of a factor is final cost, final trailer value, cash flow of the restore vs new? Can you afford/would you spend more $ to do a restore than you might be able to sell the final product for if forced to liquidate it?

Are you more comfortable financially doing bank financing on a new trailer (can readily get a 15 year loan with 10% down if you credit is good) vs. a likely uncollateralized loan with higher rate and shorter term for funds for a restore?

Then, is the current prospect the best trailer for restoration for you getting an end result that you both will be happy with, or are there things it doesn't have that will always be a source of misgivings?

In the end, you want whatever you decide to be a source of joy and relaxation, or it won't be able to be utilized as intended.

And best of luck on the unbelievable amount of physical and mental work involved with a move. We moved last year just across town. Although it was a great thing, it is exhausting!

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Okay now that I have skimmed through and read part of what appears to be a rather sensitive issue and I am sorry to hear it, but then the gunny comes out (too many years in the Marine Corps) like with gastreamer you may be a woman but unless you have no arms and can not use a computer (YouTube) or ask then there is NOTHING that you can not do!
I use to tell the troops that I would fight any man but when it comes to woman they are too damn dangerous they do not quit until every cell on their opponent is dead! Unless they were raised to be only the princess! You are smart and unlike us males can do 2 things at the same time! Losses the lugs put the scissors jack under the frame near the tire you are changing but first try putting air in it with a small compressor and if you don't have 1 go to walmart and buy one for 29. As for the trailer repair take some pictures and post them let us see what you have to work with! You write with thought and a good presents of mind so you have ability to learn and you want her done so the motivation is there! So we are sure that you can do it and it may motivate him to help! Just my thoughts and I am sorry if I insulted you as that is not my intention! Thanks for listening
Cliff
Old 06-15-2014, 07:47 PM   #14
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Well said gunny.
I look around me sometimes and think to myself rhat women have 30 or 40 years of equal opportunity behind them, yet they haven't taken much advantage of the right to build, fix and repair things.
I don't know why.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia

Old 06-15-2014, 09:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Vive la differance!

Doing anything a man can do... except spelling my name in the snow. Well been there, done that, got the tee shirt.

I'm 65 and financially comfortable. I had "that Old House" and I'm SO glad it became someone else's headache in 2006. I don't know how many times it took "just another 10K to fix everything" until something else broke and couldn't be fixed without custom millwork, expensive materials, and craftsmanship that is nearly impossible to replicate.

Getting older and being financially secure - I now HIRE it!

YES there are a lot of women who are far far too reluctant to put their hands on power tools, etc. However, ask yourself what ELSE most of them are doing. Much of the time, children are still the primary caregivers for children, and their elderly parents. Can a woman work 10, 20 or 30 hours a week on a hobby... and who's watching the kids (or even keeping the dog from eating the couch) if they do?

In defense of men, In my life there has been a major shift in roles... men of my parents generation "brought home the bacon" and that was about all. Now a lot of them will spend lots of time with their children - even changing a diaper without gagging. When my mom went to the hospital to give birth to my sister, I think Aunt Rosemary came over more than once to help with dinner and do dishes, and other days it was balogna sandwiches... and for Thanksgiving dad definitely took us to a restaurant. When dad got sick... no outside help showed up when the kitchen drain got blocked or the mower needed to be sharpened. (I got out the do it yourself and fixed self books and figured it - out to my mother's total disbelief, awe... and mild embarassment.)

I think the truth is that every couple works out their own best division - or the best sharing - of labor. But, I still think that there are a lot more men that like to go to the workshop or garage to get away from the family, where women will go there only when it's something they can be welcomed to share with their husbands.

We all just have to keep working on it and remember one size does NOT fit all.

Paula
Old 06-15-2014, 09:18 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
"If nothing changes, everything remains the same". Time for a change, bring home a deposit receipt for a new Airstream, should make for an interesting evening conversation. Airstream camping is better than marriage counseling, sounds quality time much needed here--thanks for putting it out there for your community to send you some good thoughts-Karma!!
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:32 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Here's what I think.....

Ya Know What? Every body out there has an opinion so I'll share mine with you! When you say you want to restore the Caravel I say "Go for it!" Then when you say you cannot get him to get busy on a restore I say "You can do it yourself or hire it done!" When you say you wanted something to camp in for the last 4 years I say" What has stopped you from using it the last 4 years?"

You do realize that you can strip out the interior and use it as an Aluminum Tent right? What is so wrong with doing it a little at a time? You could get an estimate from both the Texas restorers on lifting the shell, cleaning up and repair of the frame and installing all new subfloor. Then decide if it's worth the cost or not. If you have a new axle installed you have already spent money on a restore! Once the frame is in good shape and the subfloor is totally replaced it just becomes a matter of time to get it put back together the way you want it for your personal use. At least you could then tow it safely and camp in it! You could even tow it to the N.W. when you move. If that seems to be too much for you to take on right now then you should leave it as is and either sell it outright or trade it in for the 2011 23 foot trailer that has dual axles! But most of all....I Think.....Do what you love and do what works out for you!!! You know you can buy a bottle of fix-a-flat and get the tire inflated enough to tow it to a shop for an estimate right? The tires on the trailer right now will need to be replaced anyway if it has sat for 4 years! Hope this helps, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:51 PM   #19
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Okay, I know there aren't a heck of a lotta women restoring these Airstreams but if you want this dream then you can make it happen. I am. .

I had the major rotisserie job (new axles floor, frame reinforcement, gray tanks added...) done by Colin Hyde. Everything done since has been done by me and me alone ( except for begging my daughter to be a bucking buddy). Not rocket science, and it's slow going but I'm seriously enjoying it. There are so many people/ threads here that help!

It does help that my husband will pay the bills without complaining, restoring an Airstream is like having a boat, it's an expensive hobby.

That being said, were it ever to become a major problem ( ie threatening my marriage) I'd give it up without a second thought. It's a thing, not family.
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:28 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Ditto what reinergirl said.

My husband and I worked as a team. He put in the axles, the water heater, the refurbished fridge and the composting toilet. I did the wood, fabric and foam. Most of it I didn't know how to do before I started, or I knew how to use the tool but not for that particular project.

Our blog shows how we did it over years, replacing bits as we had the time and got to know what we wanted. We didn't remove a wall or cabinet until we had a plan for its replacement, so it's always been at least a functional aluminum tent.

Camping in it as we went along kept us eager to keep working on improvements. It's easy to get discouraged if all you see ahead of you is work and no play.