Old 06-18-2014, 05:19 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well I guess that makes you a serial alumahaulic.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAStreamin View Post
I should have done this in hind sight!

Old 06-18-2014, 08:00 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Well I guess that makes you a serial alumahaulic.

Perry

No doubt. Lol.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:04 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' International
Cincinnati , Ohio
I tried that theory with my husband, but he isn't as addicted as I am!!
Jenn
Old 06-20-2014, 06:06 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' International
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewel65 View Post
Realize you can do a floor replacement, or partial floor replacement without doing a shell off. It takes less time and can give just as good results if done correctly. Jewel65
That is what we did for ours - we had issues with the very front and very rear of our trailer. However, we worked rather slowly to be sure it was well done. (And the dogs just knew not to mess with the open floor sections!)
Old 06-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Does he have any obnoxious expensive hobbies? Maybe the playing field needs to be evened up.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino33 View Post
I tried that theory with my husband, but he isn't as addicted as I am!!
Jenn
Old 08-26-2014, 06:56 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
Updating; My husband fixed the tire and decided to put on all new tires. He took the trailer to Johnson City for Vintage travelers, and got a quote. If we put 8 grand into it, then we should be able to get 25,000 out of it. I think that is a bit optimistic. But at any rate, I work full time with chronic health issues, so it is all I can do to work full time. Hubbie is working part time, but about to start another part time job. We are both downsizing and spending all our time and energy on that. We are going to leave the trailer to experienced folk. Maybe when we are retired and can dedicate time and energy to do renovating, we can try another fixer upper. I have not decided yet how much we want to committ, but at least I do want to floor fixed for starters.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:29 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Good to hear from you again. Renovating an Airstream can be a long process. I estimated 2 years for mine and I've gotten the floor in and I am about to put the belly pan in place at the end of the first year. Rewire, replumb, build the cabinets, build the gauchos, put the bathroom together after repairing it, put appliances in, .... I think I underestimated the time.

My advice ( worth less than $.02) is to do what you can, when you can and try not to stress out about it.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:29 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
Well, here's an update. My Sylvia is in the shop and slowly being worked on. I am the one who wants it done and refuses to sell her, so I am paying for it to be done.

It is unrealistic for me to work as a nursing supervisor and do reports and evals at home, stay late quite often. With chronic health issues I am too exhausted even if I do have extra time. I just don't. Plus, I'd rather folks with experience renovate her right.

I need to pick out some counter tops and such. She had a beige cracked ice pattern (really ugly) but it was warped with the cabinets. I really want to find a retro pattern (besides the over used boomerang.) Anyone have some ideas that they used for a 66'?

Can't seem to find much on the net, or I am missing it?

We are probably moving to Idaho in spring/early summer. She should be done around March. I will finally get her fixed up to camp in and we are moving away from the fun Texas camping unit. :-(

Any counter top ideas for mid 60's?
Old 12-22-2014, 08:41 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
do it yourselfers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut20 View Post
Good to hear from you again. Renovating an Airstream can be a long process. I estimated 2 years for mine and I've gotten the floor in and I am about to put the belly pan in place at the end of the first year. Rewire, replumb, build the cabinets, build the gauchos, put the bathroom together after repairing it, put appliances in, .... I think I underestimated the time.

My advice ( worth less than $.02) is to do what you can, when you can and try not to stress out about it.
It will be done in March and I am not stressing anymore since it is in capable hands! He is even putting in a small wood chip burning stove that he took out of a trailer ("The Longest Road" trailer) He is so reasonable and does solid work. It isn't designer fancy, but he makes it reasonable for us middle class folks. He thinks jacking up prices is greed and he loves bringing trailers back to life. He's doing one for the Food Network that was supposed to be finished 2 days ago. It's going to be on a cooking show.

But, I admire you for being patient and working on it yourself. We very well may try to do that once my husband becomes semi retired. He can get a 50's trailer as he would of prefered, or flying cloud. I will have to work less (maybe) and I will have more energy to devote.

That is why we are moving, much more money for only 3 days a week. We will have time to camp, and in rural Idaho, the state is full of state parks and a reasonable distance to Yellowstone. :-) But mainly, closer to my elderly mom.

Jerri
Old 12-22-2014, 09:29 PM   #52
cramar

1992 25' Excella
Leamington , Ontario
Ah, the joy of being retired! We did (90% me) our Boomerstream makeover [ http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...-a-128413.html ] in 4 months of constant 60-70 hour weeks. Thought if I was younger, I could renovate Airstreams for a living. Nah! Too much psychic energy needed.
cramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:49 PM   #53
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Jerbear315 - "Any countertops for mid-60s?"...

You might consider something unusual in a metallic laminate like this one:

DecoMetal® - Metallic Grass
Old 12-22-2014, 10:56 PM   #54
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear315 View Post
Well, here's an update. My Sylvia is in the shop and slowly being worked on. I am the one who wants it done and refuses to sell her, so I am paying for it to be done.

It is unrealistic for me to work as a nursing supervisor and do reports and evals at home, stay late quite often. With chronic health issues I am too exhausted even if I do have extra time. I just don't. Plus, I'd rather folks with experience renovate her right.

I need to pick out some counter tops and such. She had a beige cracked ice pattern (really ugly) but it was warped with the cabinets. I really want to find a retro pattern (besides the over used boomerang.) Anyone have some ideas that they used for a 66'?

We are probably moving to Idaho in spring/early summer. She should be done around March. I will finally get her fixed up to camp in and we are moving away from the fun Texas camping unit. :-(

Have you looked at http://www.labdesignlaminate.com ? I have some of their samples , love the corrugated tin , their woods are amazing....
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:14 AM   #55
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear315 View Post
I really want to find a retro pattern (besides the over used boomerang.) Anyone have some ideas that they used for a 66'?

It is really difficult to find a true vintage style laminate today. I wish they still made laminate like the old cracked ice. We had that in our Caravel too. Formica came out with a line of retro designs for their 100th anniversary and we picked several of these samples when we were doing countertops in our Caravel. I didn't like any of them, but there was one that I would keep me going back to in the months we were trying to make decisions. That design was called Dogbone. It has a midcentury appeal, with hints toward retro, without being obvious. We picked this Formica Dogbone pattern for our Caravel kitchen countertop. Interestingly, a few weeks ago we got the opportunity to tour one of those new vintage style Shasta trailers they are building. What laminate do you think they chose for the countertops? It was Formica Dogbone. We really like it in our Caravel and it goes well with most wall colors and other elements in the trailer. Here is the Formica page with the laminate...

Formica Dogbone

It sounds like your trailer is in good hands. I am sure you will love it when you get it back and start using it. It is really exciting to take it out camping and have people stop by asking questions and admiring your trailer.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:58 PM   #56

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Congrats on your progress. Having been through a resto, I'll tell you the best part is having that finished trailer to camp in. I don't think I would ever get another fixer upper just for the sake of doing another one. It's hard, dirty work. But we love our little trailer, and I'll bet you'll love yours too.

We have friends who recently moved from up here to College Station, and they complain about how much they miss the beautiful outdoors up here. You're going to love having your Caravel and time to use it here in the NW!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote