Old 06-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear315 View Post
We have had two patched areas of floor, and not sure what is under the bathroom, but I am guessing that's where the worst spots are. That is why I need to restorer to do a shell off sub floor replacement. It's not something we can take on at this time.
Realize you can do a floor replacement, or partial floor replacement without doing a shell off. It takes less time and can give just as good results if done correctly. If you have already patched the front portions, then you could probably go ahead and remove the bathroom, replace the back floor section, repair the fiberglass bath and begin to put it all back together again. It's still a lot of work, but not as much as a shell off is. It is just another idea for you as this is the way I did mine. A big advantage of a shell on floor replacement is that you don't need a garage as there is always a roof over your working space. I will admit that for me, what started as a partial floor replacement turned into a total floor replacement. Once you are there, you may decide to do the whole thing since you have it that far anyway. Just another idea that you may have already thought of, but if not now you can. Photos of my experience are here... Jewel65

Old 06-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
I had two Clyde and Penelope and rescued Maggie from a car dealership! They fed her bean soup ( leftovers) got her for free!
Cliff
Are we talking Pyrs or Caravels? ;-)

Old 06-17-2014, 12:40 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewel65 View Post
Realize you can do a floor replacement, or partial floor replacement without doing a shell off. It takes less time and can give just as good results if done correctly. If you have already patched the front portions, then you could probably go ahead and remove the bathroom, replace the back floor section, repair the fiberglass bath and begin to put it all back together again. It's still a lot of work, but not as much as a shell off is. It is just another idea for you as this is the way I did mine. A big advantage of a shell on floor replacement is that you don't need a garage as there is always a roof over your working space. I will admit that for me, what started as a partial floor replacement turned into a total floor replacement. Once you are there, you may decide to do the whole thing since you have it that far anyway. Just another idea that you may have already thought of, but if not now you can. Photos of my experience are here... Jewel65
Yes, that is why we are talking to this other restorer that said just a partial may be needed. But I am not about to remove that bathroom without an experienced person involved. I don't want more damage to come to it.
We know about the ice pick, and there are some areas that have been patched, but like I've said, we won't have the time to really deal with it while we are settling down and new jobs...etc. I'd rather someone knowledgable work on it and we can come down and get her later, or sell it.

Your name is familiar, so I probably have seen your pics but love to look anyway! ;-)

Jerri
Old 06-17-2014, 12:43 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
Love the 65'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewel65 View Post

LOVE the 65's!! Love the jalopy windows in the door, and name plate-much more retro. Love the pug pic!

I think Danny would much rather have a 50s or early 60's. He prefers those eras.

Jerri
Old 06-17-2014, 02:30 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Prys! Clyde lived to be 14 and Penelope 12! Maggie was doing was 12 and still working with the elderly!
Cliff
Old 06-17-2014, 05:43 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' International
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
I had two Clyde and Penelope and rescued Maggie from a car dealership! They fed her bean soup ( leftovers) got her for free!
Cliff
Cliff - Are Clyde and Penelope and Maggie dogs?
Just wondering...
Jenn
Old 06-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' International
Cincinnati , Ohio
Ah - I love Pyrs!! We have rescue Shar Peis now and they can't wait to go on the road!
Old 06-17-2014, 05:55 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' International
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear315 View Post
We planned on restoring together, I still think he wants to, but is just overwhelmed the past 4 years. As soon as we bought it, two of his contract dentists quit and it was just after they had taken on debt for the clinic. His easy going schedule changed and he has been trying to keep the clinic going forward. So, he has been really consumed by his business concerns. I did not know it at the time, now it is making sense.
I can understand your issue with his practice. My husband is a sole practioner and it ended up being a rather large task just moving his clinic a few miles away from where it had been.

He has also been discouraged with our progress. Our 1980 sat for 10+ years due to neglect from the PO and has lived with us for about a year in our backyard. The repairs Betty needed were more extensive than we anticipated, but he has stuck with me. Of course, there are plenty of times when he doesn't see The Light at the end of the Tunnel. Or he says it's an oncoming train... We do not have any bedroom furniture (replaced sub floor) nor do we have a sofa/gaucho (replaced sub floor). We do have an air mattress and some cute vintage lawn chairs. Now if I can just fix the leak in our water line we may actually get on the road.

You can do a lot yourself - I spend as much time on our trailer as I do working my full time hospital job. But - I LOVE IT. I've been known to give her a hug as I walk by just because I think she is so darn fabulous. (which is fine unless it's a 90 degree day like today - ouch!) Don't hesitate to ask questions or seek help here. There are no silly questions and so many people have helped us with our restoration.

Best of luck with your decision making, just always try to keep the lines of communication open. Men really cannot read minds.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:14 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
The bathroom in the Caravel can be removed fairly easily but the plumbing has to be disconnected. Worst case scenario is having to cut the waste pipes because you can't unscrew the drains to get the pipes loose. (You may have to drop the rear belly pan to get the shower drain.) Toilet comes out pretty easily but the water feeds can be a bit of a pain. The water feeds for the wash stand can be accessed through the door in the side of the shower. Then drill out a bunch of rivets, check the floor area for screws, and the lower part of the bath comes out and can be carried out through the door. Keep a record of what you did with photos to show how it all goes back together. Time and patience are necessary. Two people are necessary to carry the assembly out.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:32 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Yes you too can remove you bathroom all by your self but be patient and take your time! The biggest pain in the bottom is the end caps that will take both of you of you may get mad enough to kill so get help if you do that or at least have something cheap handy that you can throw!
Cliff
Old 06-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Get another trailer to camp in for the mean time and then the pressure is off on your project trailer. The real addicts on here will use one trailer while restoring another one.

Perry
Old 06-17-2014, 07:16 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Maybe the rich ones I use a tent as a second airstream and no she does not find that funny! Okay I gotta get ready for work cuz I have a family and an airstream to support!
Cliff
Old 06-18-2014, 04:20 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Get another trailer to camp in for the mean time and then the pressure is off on your project trailer. The real addicts on here will use one trailer while restoring another one.

Perry

I should have done this in hind sight!
Old 06-18-2014, 04:46 PM   #42
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post

Perry
I have not one, but two Airstream Project trailers. Bought an SOB to use while the Airstreams continue their 120 step rehab.

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote