Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravel > 1966-68 Caravel
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2014, 06:10 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAStreamin View Post
He is right about axles. A double axle is safer than a single axle. It has been my experience that it costs as much or more to restore one than purchase new or slightly new unless you can do the work yourself. It is a labor of love. I did do a lot of the work, but my husband just was never fully on board. You can call most tire companies and they will come out and change the tires. They charge for it too, but it maybe worth it. Have you pulled any of the interior out to check subfloor especially all around the c channel?
Yes, we have gutted it except for the Wall and bathroom. I wanted to make sure it was taken out undamaged since it was cracking already. I hope someone can use parts if hubbie does not want to. We have had two patched areas of floor, and not sure what is under the bathroom, but I am guessing that's where the worst spots are. That is why I need to restorer to do a shell off sub floor replacement. It's not something we can take on at this time.

Now, when we move-we are looking at homes on more than 1 acre and most of them have big metal sheds with RV sized doors. But, both of us are willing to leave the subflooring replacement to the experts and learn later.
Yes, you spend as much or more than getting a new one-but as I said, we both prefer Vintage charm. We just like that one flying cloud 23" floor plan!

Thanks for your kind comments!
jerbear315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:23 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
Okay, I know there aren't a heck of a lotta women restoring these Airstreams but if you want this dream then you can make it happen. I am. .

I had the major rotisserie job (new axles floor, frame reinforcement, gray tanks added...) done by Colin Hyde. Everything done since has been done by me and me alone ( except for begging my daughter to be a bucking buddy). Not rocket science, and it's slow going but I'm seriously enjoying it. There are so many people/ threads here that help!

It does help that my husband will pay the bills without complaining, restoring an Airstream is like having a boat, it's an expensive hobby.

That being said, were it ever to become a major problem ( ie threatening my marriage) I'd give it up without a second thought. It's a thing, not family.
We planned on restoring together, I still think he wants to, but is just overwhelmed the past 4 years. As soon as we bought it, two of his contract dentists quit and it was just after they had taken on debt for the clinic. His easy going schedule changed and he has been trying to keep the clinic going forward. So, he has been really consumed by his business concerns. I did not know it at the time, now it is making sense.
We enjoyed gutting it together and know full well we can use it as an Aluminum tent, that is the immediate goal in my mind. I want to use it to sleep in on the move. Considering we have 4 dogs and 1 cat to move, I don't think a hotel would be a good idea. But I want to make sure it is pulling shape and functional at least for a tent use. Heck we can throw an airmattress in, some kennels....but we are gonna make sure that air conditioner will work. I'm 53. ;-)

Also, I would not divorce over a trailer, but I know how resentment can work it's way in. Like I said; His daughter put us through much worse and if we can deal with that we can deal with anything. The counselor was a pro active choice on how to deal with his daughter. But she has been good for exercises on communication. The counselor is familiar with his ex-wife who was encouraging the problems with his daughter. So, we were stepping carefully. The daughter loves me now and she wants to get the trailer fixed up too!
Old 06-16-2014, 06:27 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAStreamin View Post
I can feel your pain. I had something similar happen to me. You can read my restoration thread. I ended up having to let go of it all the resentment and the trailer. He just was not as interested in working on it as I was. He did not have the vision. In the end, we compromised and sold it, my beloved vintage project and got an almost new one, something he didn't have to work on and one I could go camping in. We are quite happy now and we drove off into the sunset. (See avatar) Lol. I wish you the best.
I think your model is one of the ones we liked. Does it have the dedicated bed in front and door in back? I just can't get excited about the modern contempary look!
Old 06-16-2014, 06:34 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52 View Post
Ya Know What? Every body out there has an opinion so I'll share mine with you! When you say you want to restore the Caravel I say "Go for it!" Then when you say you cannot get him to get busy on a restore I say "You can do it yourself or hire it done!" When you say you wanted something to camp in for the last 4 years I say" What has stopped you from using it the last 4 years?"

You do realize that you can strip out the interior and use it as an Aluminum Tent right? What is so wrong with doing it a little at a time? You could get an estimate from both the Texas restorers on lifting the shell, cleaning up and repair of the frame and installing all new subfloor. Then decide if it's worth the cost or not. If you have a new axle installed you have already spent money on a restore! Once the frame is in good shape and the subfloor is totally replaced it just becomes a matter of time to get it put back together the way you want it for your personal use. At least you could then tow it safely and camp in it! You could even tow it to the N.W. when you move. If that seems to be too much for you to take on right now then you should leave it as is and either sell it outright or trade it in for the 2011 23 foot trailer that has dual axles! But most of all....I Think.....Do what you love and do what works out for you!!! You know you can buy a bottle of fix-a-flat and get the tire inflated enough to tow it to a shop for an estimate right? The tires on the trailer right now will need to be replaced anyway if it has sat for 4 years! Hope this helps, Ed

Actually, we have had new axles replaced (first order of issue on a Caravel.) Also we had some propane lines capped (the gas light coming out of the front cabinet) and the floor patched. The first restorer was going to do more, but lost his one airstream knowledgable technician.
Yes, we know we can use it as an Aluminum tent. However, my Honda Pilot (TV) was totalled and since I was working home health, I wanted to replace it with a more gas efficient model. It wasn't until 2.5 years later my husband decided to finally replace his Nissan Frontier with a Ford F-150 as the TV.

My plan is to let an experienced restorer do more subfloor work, possibly take out the air conditioner and replace with much newer lower profile, or possible a window unit inside the unit. The other stuff we can handle slowly but surely. Since we know moving across the country is going to be a major undertaking.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:38 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
Wow, where did all these responses come from? I thought it was a pretty small group on our mid 60's Caravel group?! I guess it shows in other groups or areas? There seems to be a lot of folks who don't have Caravels even. Maybe they did have one!

Anyway, It's interesting to see the varied responses! Thanks for everyone's candid opinion on most everything! LOL.

I even got an offer to buy her if we decided to sell, from someone like me who rescues Pyrs and lives in TX. ;-)
Old 06-16-2014, 02:26 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Airconditioner

Jerbear, You might rethink replacing the A/C unit. If it is an original Armstrong it can be repaired and recharged very easily and it will cool way better than a newer unit with the same BTU rating. You are aware that you can test the subfloor yourself with an ice pick to see if you still have any soft spots before you see about floor replacement. Yes, The bathroom floor always tend to have more rot issues as water was more of an issue there than elsewhere in these trailers. Leaks around windows and doors, plus leaking around roof openings and rivets are also leading causes of floor rot. Check the entire perimeter of the floor as well as under any vent or skylight areas. If floor is solid then have the frame and tongue/A-Frame inspected. If okay then tow it! You can always put temporary light kit on it to move it but you won't have trailer brakes. However with a small trailer like a Caravel you may get away without having the brakes on it for short distance (to shop). I would not however tow it to the N.W. without all the electrical working properly and for sure to have brakes on the unit. Any good RV tech can test the electrical system and determine if all is good for under $200.00. More of coarse if repairs are needed + parts! Just sayin' Ed

P.S. As far as the amount of responses we all have very similar issues no matter what model of trailer it is and the '66 thru '68 were the only three years that the curved glass frameless windows were made by Airstream. But water leaks and floor rot are universal.
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
I had two Clyde and Penelope and rescued Maggie from a car dealership! They fed her bean soup ( leftovers) got her for free!
Cliff
Old 06-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear315 View Post
Wow, where did all these responses come from? I thought it was a pretty small group on our mid 60's Caravel group?! I guess it shows in other groups or areas? There seems to be a lot of folks who don't have Caravels even.
The most recent posts (not including game threads) show up on the Portal page until they're pushed off my even more recent arrivals. Many of us start at the Portal when checking Airforums and we end up reading all sorts of interesting stuff.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:24 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
We have had two patched areas of floor, and not sure what is under the bathroom, but I am guessing that's where the worst spots are. That is why I need to restorer to do a shell off sub floor replacement. It's not something we can take on at this time.
Realize you can do a floor replacement, or partial floor replacement without doing a shell off. It takes less time and can give just as good results if done correctly. If you have already patched the front portions, then you could probably go ahead and remove the bathroom, replace the back floor section, repair the fiberglass bath and begin to put it all back together again. It's still a lot of work, but not as much as a shell off is. It is just another idea for you as this is the way I did mine. A big advantage of a shell on floor replacement is that you don't need a garage as there is always a roof over your working space. I will admit that for me, what started as a partial floor replacement turned into a total floor replacement. Once you are there, you may decide to do the whole thing since you have it that far anyway. Just another idea that you may have already thought of, but if not now you can. Photos of my experience are here... Jewel65
Old 06-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
I had two Clyde and Penelope and rescued Maggie from a car dealership! They fed her bean soup ( leftovers) got her for free!
Cliff
Are we talking Pyrs or Caravels? ;-)
Old 06-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewel65 View Post
Realize you can do a floor replacement, or partial floor replacement without doing a shell off. It takes less time and can give just as good results if done correctly. If you have already patched the front portions, then you could probably go ahead and remove the bathroom, replace the back floor section, repair the fiberglass bath and begin to put it all back together again. It's still a lot of work, but not as much as a shell off is. It is just another idea for you as this is the way I did mine. A big advantage of a shell on floor replacement is that you don't need a garage as there is always a roof over your working space. I will admit that for me, what started as a partial floor replacement turned into a total floor replacement. Once you are there, you may decide to do the whole thing since you have it that far anyway. Just another idea that you may have already thought of, but if not now you can. Photos of my experience are here... Jewel65
Yes, that is why we are talking to this other restorer that said just a partial may be needed. But I am not about to remove that bathroom without an experienced person involved. I don't want more damage to come to it.
We know about the ice pick, and there are some areas that have been patched, but like I've said, we won't have the time to really deal with it while we are settling down and new jobs...etc. I'd rather someone knowledgable work on it and we can come down and get her later, or sell it.

Your name is familiar, so I probably have seen your pics but love to look anyway! ;-)

Jerri
Old 06-17-2014, 11:43 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
Love the 65'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewel65 View Post

LOVE the 65's!! Love the jalopy windows in the door, and name plate-much more retro. Love the pug pic!

I think Danny would much rather have a 50s or early 60's. He prefers those eras.

Jerri
Old 06-17-2014, 01:30 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Prys! Clyde lived to be 14 and Penelope 12! Maggie was doing was 12 and still working with the elderly!
Cliff
Old 06-17-2014, 04:43 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Versailles , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
Cliff
Cliff - Are Clyde and Penelope and Maggie dogs?
Just wondering...
Jenn
Rhino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:44 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Versailles , Indiana
Ah - I love Pyrs!! We have rescue Shar Peis now and they can't wait to go on the road!
Old 06-17-2014, 04:55 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Versailles , Indiana
Quote:
We planned on restoring together, I still think he wants to, but is just overwhelmed the past 4 years. As soon as we bought it, two of his contract dentists quit and it was just after they had taken on debt for the clinic. His easy going schedule changed and he has been trying to keep the clinic going forward. So, he has been really consumed by his business concerns. I did not know it at the time, now it is making sense.
I can understand your issue with his practice. My husband is a sole practioner and it ended up being a rather large task just moving his clinic a few miles away from where it had been.

He has also been discouraged with our progress. Our 1980 sat for 10+ years due to neglect from the PO and has lived with us for about a year in our backyard. The repairs Betty needed were more extensive than we anticipated, but he has stuck with me. Of course, there are plenty of times when he doesn't see The Light at the end of the Tunnel. Or he says it's an oncoming train... We do not have any bedroom furniture (replaced sub floor) nor do we have a sofa/gaucho (replaced sub floor). We do have an air mattress and some cute vintage lawn chairs. Now if I can just fix the leak in our water line we may actually get on the road.

You can do a lot yourself - I spend as much time on our trailer as I do working my full time hospital job. But - I LOVE IT. I've been known to give her a hug as I walk by just because I think she is so darn fabulous. (which is fine unless it's a 90 degree day like today - ouch!) Don't hesitate to ask questions or seek help here. There are no silly questions and so many people have helped us with our restoration.

Best of luck with your decision making, just always try to keep the lines of communication open. Men really cannot read minds.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:14 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
The bathroom in the Caravel can be removed fairly easily but the plumbing has to be disconnected. Worst case scenario is having to cut the waste pipes because you can't unscrew the drains to get the pipes loose. (You may have to drop the rear belly pan to get the shower drain.) Toilet comes out pretty easily but the water feeds can be a bit of a pain. The water feeds for the wash stand can be accessed through the door in the side of the shower. Then drill out a bunch of rivets, check the floor area for screws, and the lower part of the bath comes out and can be carried out through the door. Keep a record of what you did with photos to show how it all goes back together. Time and patience are necessary. Two people are necessary to carry the assembly out.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:32 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Yes you too can remove you bathroom all by your self but be patient and take your time! The biggest pain in the bottom is the end caps that will take both of you of you may get mad enough to kill so get help if you do that or at least have something cheap handy that you can throw!
Cliff
Old 06-17-2014, 05:55 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Get another trailer to camp in for the mean time and then the pressure is off on your project trailer. The real addicts on here will use one trailer while restoring another one.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:16 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Maybe the rich ones I use a tent as a second airstream and no she does not find that funny! Okay I gotta get ready for work cuz I have a family and an airstream to support!
Cliff