Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Sherfield English , Hampshire
Send a message via MSN to Moonstruck Send a message via Yahoo to Moonstruck
1967 Caravel Retro-Fit Modern Water Heater. Suburban or Atwood?

Good Morning America!

I have a 1967 Caravel fitted with the original Bowen-Atwood 10 Gallon water heater. I've just suffered a blow back which it seems has broken/disabled the thermo couple. Looking at the cost of getting replacement parts over the pond its more cost-effective to fit a new heater, leaving the original B-A cover in place.
My question is: Which manufacturer, Suburban or Atwood, is more suitable for retro-fitting? I will fit a 6 gallon auto spark.

Also, I have lost the original rectangular insert on the B-A. Does anyone have one for sale?

Thanks

Marc
Old 10-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
The Atwood is suppose to be an almost perfect fit. I just ordered and received one from VTS, but haven't installed it yet. Mine is a '65 Caravel. It looks to fit perfectly. I wil also be reusing the original cover, that may need trimming a fraction of an inch on the back to fit. I am also missing the grill for the original cover. I have seen perforated aluminum sheets at the hardware store that I will try to cut and fold to fit as a replacement.

Hope this helps and wish you luck across the pond!
Old 10-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
The Atwood is a perfect fit. You have to open up the hole a wee bit. The cover is extra and not normally included.
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Sherfield English , Hampshire
Send a message via MSN to Moonstruck Send a message via Yahoo to Moonstruck
All my research confirms that the Atwood is the way to go. I have one flying over your heads the 6000 miles from SoCal to here in Ye Olde Hampshire!
I too will use the original cover by adding a couple of brackets.

Jewel 65, you are in exactly the same situation as me. I am up **** creek without the original cover. However, being an imager, I have a solution. I have managed to get some 2mm aluminium cut to size and I'll overlay it with a perforated sheet, overlaying another sheet to take the instruction set. All from eBay uk but hope you can find same over the pond. I have a pic of an original cover and I have re-written the type in Photoshop and I will give the finished Jpg to an engraver to get an accurate copy of the original. Run in a little black dye and it should look pretty good. PM me if you want a copy of the image.
Marc

Tags
1967, 1967 caravel, caravel