Old 06-21-2014, 12:24 PM   #295
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I wound up cutting the channel apart so the floor would fit. It was a piece of the regular channel/floor channel combo, but was made for thinner plywood. The original plywood fit into it with the floor covering attached so 3/4" ply should have gone in. No such luck.

I also find there is about a 1/2" - 3/4" gap between the frame and the shell in the rear. Frame droop? Originally, the whole thing fit together, but not so much now. Gotta figure this one out.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:29 PM   #296
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I wound up cutting the channel off. It was a piece of the regular AS channeling that has a slot for the floor under the C channel. Now I find about 1/2" - 3/4" gap between the shell and the frame (shell sits up higher than it should) that I have to figure out. Stay tuned.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:38 PM   #297
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Mine did the same thing but I bolted it down and it is all good!
Cliff
Old 06-21-2014, 02:53 PM   #298
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Blenheim , Ontario
I'm not sure if all models had this but my 69 had a piece of wood at the back that fit into c channel. Curved with channel. Rotten with the floor of course. The bolts extented threw wood,c channel, plywood, hold down plate. I to had a large gap between rub rail and bumper. Until i started tightening the bolts and the gap closed up.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:35 AM   #299
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut20 View Post
I wound up cutting the channel apart so the floor would fit. It was a piece of the regular channel/floor channel combo, but was made for thinner plywood. The original plywood fit into it with the floor covering attached so 3/4" ply should have gone in. No such luck.

I also find there is about a 1/2" - 3/4" gap between the frame and the shell in the rear. Frame droop? Originally, the whole thing fit together, but not so much now. Gotta figure this one out.
A few issues going on here…
The first is that by using 3/4" instead of the 5/8"(as it was originally) you have now jacked the entire shell 1/8" higher than it was. Just that little bit changes the geometry a great deal and makes for a struggle.
The second major issue is your frame is not sitting level. Even on a trailer this short the front and rear of the frame will drop down when not bolted to the plywood and attached to the shell. Level the frame with numerous jacks and you will see this go away.
C Channel is not an after thought, making changes and "straightening it out" are after thoughts. Airstreams are hand made. That means human hands come into play. The shells are made on a huge roller table and then slid onto the chassis.
This leaves a lot of room for one side to be lower, one side to be slightly in where the other is out. They all vary a little and when one tries to straighten them out, the results are a struggle.
All three of you replacing your floors is because of that bumper hatch. The plate with the hinge part goes under the plywood inviting water to come right in.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:33 AM   #300
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Frank, your comments are always so to the point. Really appreciated. Keep helping us in our struggles please. Jim
Old 06-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #301
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Hey Frank,
Yes I did the frame was level when I put the shell back on my issue was that 1/8 inch and that has been addressed so how have you been? I found the answer with the threshold but there will be other issues and yes I will be calling on you again! The answer came from a trashed out caravel (scrap material sea water does bad things to aluminum) got many things other than the caravel to tend to over the next couple of weeks but will be back on it ASAP!
Thanks for being there.
Cliff
Old 06-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #302
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Frank,
I appreciate the comments. You are correct when you say the AS is hand made and they do have a lot of variation within the same unit. I found that with the Minuet (plumb and square were unknown words when the cabinets were built) and the Caravel. When I am done with the Caravel, I am sure there will be imperfections in keeping with the spirit of Airstream. :-)

The bumper hatch is only part of the problem. My floor replacement was made necessary by the Caravel interior being exposed to the elements in Indiana for years. The result is a complete interior rebuild for all the cabinetry as well as the floor. I claim that it is a plus for the Airstream in that they are very tough: they can survive great mistreatment and still be rebuilt.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:20 PM   #303
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Cliff,
Do you have any photos of the bellypan in front after you installed it? The bellypan on mine was pretty much totaled in front so I have nothing to go on when replacing. It looks like there is a piece in the center that covers the frame rails and a piece on either side that goes to the curve, goes alongside the frame up to the first outrigger, then is at the frame level along with the center piece. Make sense?
Old 07-11-2014, 08:23 PM   #304
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
I will post the pictures but if you would pm me your email I would prefer to email them to you as my pic space is about gone, I promise I will not share or even keep your email address I hate junk mail! You are correct there is a front piece to to cover the hold down plate then a center panel cover the frame and 4 corner panels to make the curves I will take a picture of the old corner pieces also (I used them for templates) I plan to take all of the old aluminum to the scrap yard so until I replace the panel over the curb side wheel I am holding on to it. Will take pictures in the morning but due to wedding I need to go to I will send them to you in the evening.
Cliff

Yes I said that! Or did I?
Old 07-27-2014, 09:09 AM   #305
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Okay I have not had a free day in the past 3weeks where it has not rained or been below 97% humidity or we did not have the grand babies! Just about all I have been able to do is post and oh yes removed the awning for the shell process! Polish, patch, polish some more and then seal! Started working yesterday (awning removal) got about 1.5 inches of rain!! Yeah I can make it rain!
Cliff
Old 08-03-2014, 08:32 AM   #306
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Okay I now have 4 drip buckets in the caravel and the down pour continues! Upside I think I have found most of the leaks!
Cliff
Old 08-04-2014, 04:47 AM   #307
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
That is great news Cliff!
Old 09-21-2014, 06:08 PM   #308
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
Hi Cliff,
How did you end up replacing your fridge vent? Not sure I ever heard the outcome of that.
Still not sure what I will end up doing with mine. I've not read good things about the fiberglass ones that are available.
Mine will be a project for this winter.

Tags
1966, 1966 caravel, caravel