Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2014, 07:39 PM   #261
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
This forum is great for connecting people from very different locales.
If I was closer, I'd love to help flip it.

Sorry, but I can only offer encouragement from too far away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
The last flip of the frame happens soon (by the weekend) then the flipping yoke is done or at least I will be done with it! Free to good home!! Thank you for the comment I can use all the motivation I can get! I am motivated to finish but the interruptions are quite frustrating!
Cliff
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:50 PM   #262
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Thank you for the offer and if the son in law does not help the wife will to shut me up and keep me from hurting myself. The flipping yoke works great but I really challenge the design with unlevel ground and not much of a flat surface for the frame of the yoke but it holds the weight and is easy to use. Again thank you for your offer and I do look forward to meeting you on the road!
Cliff
Old 04-18-2014, 07:06 PM   #263
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Okay another 85 rivets and a little closer! They came out faster then they are going in! Cutting aluminum marking frame rails for rivets breaking titanium drill bits and I now have the 2 back raps and the sewer access and then the flip (frame that is). I am almost ready for the shell return process. Oh yes let us not forget those fun aluminum cuts and the "papa you are bleeding does it hurt? Do you need a hug and a sucker?) love those grand children!
More later
Cliff
Old 04-19-2014, 06:00 AM   #264
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
only 9,915 rivets to go….
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:18 AM   #265
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
That's 9916 because there is a dummy rivet I had to use and I know measure measure measure and still only one so far now we are in a downpour that is gonna last until sunday. Cannot wait until it stope so that I can get back to it!
Cliff
Old 04-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #266
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Okay I have the back raps left and then flip but it has rained non stop and will rain all day on Sunday so wed. Is my next chance to work on her.
Cliff
Old 04-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #267
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Okay got it flipped before the rain put the axle under it to see which hole I would need to drill but noooooooo I Ned to drill both mounting holes on both sides and have the shock studs welded on!!!!! Frustration has once again struck and I will get it done but damn! Nothing has gone the easy way yet! Okay enough whining it will turn out good just another thing to fix. Relaxing now while the storm hits.
Cliff
Old 04-25-2014, 08:33 PM   #268
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
Okay got it flipped before the rain put the axle under it to see which hole I would need to drill but noooooooo I Ned to drill both mounting holes on both sides and have the shock studs welded on!!!!! Frustration has once again struck and I will get it done but damn! Nothing has gone the easy way yet! Okay enough whining it will turn out good just another thing to fix. Relaxing now while the storm hits.
Cliff
Cliff,
All of the axles I've supplied, do not have shock studs welded to the shock bracket, because as many have noticed, are a very poor design. The original design with the welded studs do not leave enough space between the end of the stud & the frame in order to replace shocks at a later date, without either bending the bracket, or dropping the axle in order to allow sufficient clearance to fit the shock on. The Monroe shocks do however come with shoulder bolts that fit the shock bracket perfectly. If you choose to use Airstream specific shocks, shoulder bolts can be sourced at your local Auto Parts Store. Regardless of the axle manufacturer chosen, the mounting holes will not line up with the original holes on "low profile" brackets, which is what you have. Drilling is therefore necessary. This situation is being rectified in the near future though. All Axles with "high profile" brackets, i.e. some 68 models & 69 & newer, come with "Henschen" type brackets, so no drilling, welding or cutting is required.
Thanks,
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:02 AM   #269
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Thanks Colin I was not trying to direct any anger or frustration at you if I did and I will reread my post in a moment I am sorry I have not been able to shake Murphy yet and that can be frustrating as you should know working with these things on a regular basis. You supplied us with what we needed, I just get tired of making things work when we plan on them working right on the first try. I drilled into the frame with titanium bits designed for steel and they broke cut the wrong line for the raps (used traced lines from original instead of the enlarged lines for adjustability) 2 rivets in noticed my error. Then the storms came rolling in which took the plastic off of 1 corner (dried and replaced plastic) oh yes Murphy and not paying attention are the source of my frustration. Thanks for listening and again sorry if I offended. Back to work after granddaughters birthday party (some things are more important than airstream) I would have posted pictures but am running out of picture space on the forums.
Cliff
Old 04-27-2014, 11:22 AM   #270
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
In the future, use a step bit to drill the holes. It lakes about 25 seconds(45 if it is a harbor freight) to drill a hole. That is less time than it takes to worry about it.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:14 PM   #271
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Thanks frank I will use the step bit and maybe the bit I bought at harbor fright have 1 wrap to do then I am ready for the shell. Wish me luck.
Cliff
Old 04-27-2014, 05:27 PM   #272
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Back to the important stuff ... how was your granddaughter's birthday party? How old?
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:29 PM   #273
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
I do plan on posting some pictures but I am limited to 3 or 4 pictures (all I have left before I am out of space) want to save it for shell on and the wheel we'll fix.
Cliff
Old 05-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #274
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Okay we had a small break from the downpours today when I got up so I removed the leaky plastic tarp dried up the water put the plastic out to dry while I removed the backing plates from the axle (to drill the 4 mounting holes and mount the shocks) much better than cutting the shock bolts! Hopefully last corner wrap and some caulking for Friday which has to be done in between baby sitting and dump run!!! Just another day in the life......
Cliff
Old 05-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #275
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Yes I did it drilled the 4axle mounting holes before it started raining!! Only broke 3 drill bits! Yes binding drill bits not recommended
Cliff
Old 05-03-2014, 12:25 AM   #276
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Nice, Cliff! Between the two of us, sounds like we're keeping the drill bit manufacturers in business!
calais66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:45 AM   #277
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Yes but it is a sad note that of the 4 drill bits used the 1 that did not break was a harbor freight el cheapo! It's all good still raining this morning but is supposed to clear up before my youngest granddaughters birthday party. May get in an hour or 2 on the caravel by the end of the day.
Cliff
Old 05-16-2014, 07:17 PM   #278
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Okay much progress but not today only a little cause my buddy, best friend and soul mate was hurting so we spent the day in the er. I did get the tires on the ground and all support material moved and on Sat I will try to get the frame under the shell but it all depends on how my girl is feeling! Yes there is something far more important than the caravel! I only have space for 1 or 2 pictures so I will post the shell on first and leading up to shell on as space permits!
Cliff
Old 05-16-2014, 07:24 PM   #279
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Oh yes drill bit tally so far 9 3/16 titanium bits 3 3/16 carbon bits and 2 3/16 el cheapo bits 5 1/8 titanium 17 1/8 el cheapo an 5 1/8 el cheapo bit lost in space 1 black and decker corded drill (chuck broke and 1 bit thrown) I love working on this wonderful 1966 caravel but please hold your praise for the airstream factory QC because those bitches were drunk!
Cliff
Old 05-17-2014, 07:13 PM   #280
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Yes she is on

Yes I got it on at 7 but the picture was of the "dry fit" which took all day! With the exception of 1 corner the shell went on with the help of the babe and she did a lot. I have to cleco and rivet it yet but that may prove to be the easy part and yes I would do it again if I had a shop and more than 1 hour a day to work on it. My daughter thinks that I am on standby for whatever she needs done. Oh well more in the morning.
Cliff

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	792.0 KB
ID:	212124

Tags
1966, 1966 caravel, caravel