Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravel > 1966-68 Caravel
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2006, 09:44 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
1966 Caravel ....Mayday ....Mayday.

Help needed.
I am well into getting the Caravel on the road. A snag has appeared. After finding three minor leaks in the holding tank I got the word that the tank needs to be replaced due to major failures at the top side. I can only use a 1966, full bath holding tank. Supposedly only a 1966 Caravel tank will fit. Has anybody got a lead to such a replacement or a suitable modification to the entire system? While I am at it....the thermostat on the Magic Chef oven is trashed too. Anyone have a source for this ?

The full story on my "in perfect condition," "everything works," "little old lady from Pasadena" and "used only on Sundays" Caravel will be coming soon.
Thanks.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
See TomW's website on Black tank repair. It might prove interesting. Also, Stefroberts, among others, might have some interesting insight, as well. I would try those two sources. You and I should have different baths, you actually have the wet bath and I have the full, right?

As for the Oven, I would call Colaw's, in Iowa, or is it Missouri? Do a search on these.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:21 AM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Actually I think C Johnson redid his black tank in his Caravel. Mine was in good shape. Darol Ingalls might have some ideas too. He patched my water tank for me. These old trailers do give you some surprises from time to time!

Don't feel too bad, my Caravel was in perfect condition too. Three years later and about $6k invested in upgrades and repairs, and it really is

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
it's www.colawrvsalvage.com

877-548-2125

(there's a lot of "colaw's" to sort thru out there)
Old 05-18-2006, 03:21 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Riverside , Missouri
Inland RV sells them new. You may want to check for leaks at the rear around the window or access panel as well. A leak here leads to a weakened floor that lets the toilet move around cracking the top of the tank.
BURNZEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:08 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Newcastle , Oklahoma
You might try Associated Appliance in Oklahoma City. I found a new thermostat for my 67 Magic chef oven a couple of years ago. Did not think I would. They are very good at their trade. Their # 405-525-2003.
Barkingdogg Newcastle, OK
Barkingdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:28 PM   #7

1960 17' Pacer
easton , Maryland
water tank repair

While restoreing a 1960 pacer, found that my water tank had lots of small holes leaking water while under pressure. I repaired the aluminium tank by using "west epoxy with 6 ounce fiberglass cloth. Have had no leaks since, and is working great.
peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Melody R, I did replace my black tank. Here is a pic of the old and the new tank . The new tank costs me $225 if I recall correctly. I made it larger, it extends all the way into the closet floor now. Patching the old abs tank is almost an effort in futility.

I also got a new thermostat for the oven from Singletons RV salvage in Rochester WA. I know for a fact that they have one left unless they sold it in the last month. It is a used part but it works well.

Chris
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
66 Caravel tank replacement

Chris,
Thanks for the reply. Where did you get your tank?
Old 05-19-2006, 08:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
M Ranch, I had the tank custom made at Apex Industries here in Portland. It was a fraction of the cost of the after market tank thats available, plus I added about 4 gals to the capacity. I am sure they would do another. I still have the drawings for mine. I bet it will cost a bit more as the price of plastic has also gone up with the price of oil.

Are you aware that you'll have to partially gut you trailer to get the old one out ? The closet has to be removed and I believe that the couch has to come out too.

Chris
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 09:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Contemplating the tank swap out

Chris,
Thanks.........I am aware of the task at hand.....but, when you gotta go, you gotta go. The tremp. fix is the blue boy on wheels underneath and then at the end of summer....into the barn and the work begins. I just want to be ready.
This appears to be a system done by an engineer/designer who never did a lick of maintenance or repair work. My favorite along these line is the Buick design team who had the motor set in so perfectly that in order to change a spark plug the motor mount had to be removed and the motor jacked up of the mount base. A close second was the engineer who designed the magnetos on a Moony Aircraft...same thing.....had to disconnect the motor mount, but it sure was a clean installation. Many more I'm sure. A new thread at hand.........The dumbest things I have ever seen.
Thanks again.
Robin C
Old 05-30-2006, 11:49 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Talking Major event for Caravels

O.K. here is how it is.

I have the broken black water tank out of the Caravel.....and it was relatively easy. No major disassembly as was the prog. Major bucks saved and down time will depend on tank replacement.
1. Remove the bottom aft belly skin. 57" by 27"....no big deal. Besides now you have a chance to do some serious inspecting, valve work, insulation, etc.
(About 10 minutes.)
2. Drain water from toilet and tank. (about 2 minutes)
3. Loosen four attach bolts for the dump valve and free it up from bottom of tank. Removal not necessary. (about 2 minutes)
4. Remove sprayer from its attach and store it in the sink.( About 2 minutes)
5. Disconnect the water to the toilet inlet. (one minute)
6. Unbolt toilet bowl from its mount. Four bolts, 1/2 inch. Mine were rusted to worthlesness and I had to hacksaw them off. Remove and store toilet out of the way.(20 minutes with the sawing.)
6a. Unscrew and remove the toilet flange from top of tank. I made a "tool" by taking a 1 foot 1 x 1 1/2 x 12 board, drilled two 1/4 inch holes six inches apart and inserting a 1/4 x 2 inch bolt thru each hole. Then used this as my spanner wrench to unscrew the flange. (10 minutes)
7. Detach the tank end of the vent tube. Cut the tube off about three feet up the vertical run. Leave room for a coupler when re- attaching.
Remove and store this section. (3-4 minutes)
8. There are two 1 x 1 1/2 x 18 inch boards used as floor to tank braces laying across the tank top...tightly in place. Remove them...I used a hooked prybar.
9. Slide the tank into the closet and tilt it upward when able. Be sure the drain attach fitting is clear at bottom when doing this. It comes right out.
(3 minutes.)
10. Installation is next...pictures to follow. Sure beats pulling whole bath
and interior.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:59 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Seattle , Washington
Send a message via AIM to kitchenclose
M Ranch - This is good to know. I may have to do this soon as I'll be inspecting the under side soon. Please post your pictures.
Thanks
K
kitchenclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Jamestown , New York
I've been trying to find a new black tank for my caravel. Didn't think of keeping it for size and measurements. I was wondering if you had the sizes for your new tank still available??
Thanks
NavyDavesCvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Check with Andy at Inland RV.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
thats easy

I did it the easy way....I called Andy at Inland. It fit perfectly...but the price was up there. Good news was....Andy is always at the other end of the phone.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:24 PM   #17

Rock Island , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson View Post
Melody R, I did replace my black tank. Here is a pic of the old and the new tank . The new tank costs me $225 if I recall correctly. I made it larger, it extends all the way into the closet floor now. Patching the old abs tank is almost an effort in futility.

I also got a new thermostat for the oven from Singletons RV salvage in Rochester WA. I know for a fact that they have one left unless they sold it in the last month. It is a used part but it works well.

Chris
I like the larger tank, where did you get it?
Don Drolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Thread is over five years old. I used the standard tank.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:04 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
5 years old, but still a relevant topic! You can use a standard tank but it is expensive, and will crack again someday because it is fiberglass, not polyethylene. Vintage Trailer Supply now carries the perfect tank. I helped develop it and was the first to use it in my 65 Caravel. It is an 11 gallon polyethylene tank that fits the old location and will stick out a little further in the closet - no big deal for the extra capacity. Here is the link... Corner Tank
Old 09-09-2018, 08:34 PM   #20

1966 17' Caravel
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
O.K. here is how it is.

I have the broken black water tank out of the Caravel.....and it was relatively easy. No major disassembly as was the prog. Major bucks saved and down time will depend on tank replacement.
1. Remove the bottom aft belly skin. 57" by 27"....no big deal. Besides now you have a chance to do some serious inspecting, valve work, insulation, etc.
(About 10 minutes.)
2. Drain water from toilet and tank. (about 2 minutes)
3. Loosen four attach bolts for the dump valve and free it up from bottom of tank. Removal not necessary. (about 2 minutes)
4. Remove sprayer from its attach and store it in the sink.( About 2 minutes)
5. Disconnect the water to the toilet inlet. (one minute)
6. Unbolt toilet bowl from its mount. Four bolts, 1/2 inch. Mine were rusted to worthlesness and I had to hacksaw them off. Remove and store toilet out of the way.(20 minutes with the sawing.)
6a. Unscrew and remove the toilet flange from top of tank. I made a "tool" by taking a 1 foot 1 x 1 1/2 x 12 board, drilled two 1/4 inch holes six inches apart and inserting a 1/4 x 2 inch bolt thru each hole. Then used this as my spanner wrench to unscrew the flange. (10 minutes)
7. Detach the tank end of the vent tube. Cut the tube off about three feet up the vertical run. Leave room for a coupler when re- attaching.
Remove and store this section. (3-4 minutes)
8. There are two 1 x 1 1/2 x 18 inch boards used as floor to tank braces laying across the tank top...tightly in place. Remove them...I used a hooked prybar.
9. Slide the tank into the closet and tilt it upward when able. Be sure the drain attach fitting is clear at bottom when doing this. It comes right out.
(3 minutes.)
10. Installation is next...pictures to follow. Sure beats pulling whole bath
and interior.
I need to replace the black water tank on my ‘66 Caravel. How did you remove the braces with a “hooked pry bar”? Any pictures? I want to avoid taking out the entire fiberglass enclosure if possible. Vintage Trailer Supply has tanks.
Steg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1966, 1966 caravel, caravel