Old 07-25-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
1966 17' Caravel
Stockbridge , Michigan
1966 Caravel drain system

We're the ones with the new (to us) 1966 Caravel. From the fridge, we've moved on to water. Specifically the drains. I think that the black tank is ok, and holding well. But what about the so-called "gray" water from shower, bath sink and kitchen sink? Where does that go? From a few quick tests, it seems to no go anywhere except out a few leaks near the soil pipe drain! Is this how the 1966 works? I have a manual, and it says nothing about "gray" water. Can anyone out there give me a clue? I'm guessing that it was built to let gray water drain on the ground, and then use the soil pipe to remove the contents of the black tank periodically in an approved place.

Mary Greiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I asked this under black tank repair. you can read it there but the bottom line is, there is no grey tank... If you look where you black tank drains you will notice the grey water comes into that pipe after the valve.. they use to just dig a hole and let it go away.... you can open the valve with the cap on and it will go into the black tank, but if it backs up you have bad water coming up in your shower...

I have a 68 ambassador So till I can install a grey tank i will buy a portable one to put out the back...

purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:46 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Purman tells the truth. 'Grey' water just runs out the pipe. You can have the pipe uncapped and the black tank slide closed, and just let the grey run out. We catch it in a 'blue tank' when we are not hooked up to facilities. Then we stop at a dump station to empty the black tank and the blue tank on the way home.

The leaking around the outlet is not normal though. You need to look into that. It will probably require removing the belly skin to get to the pipes and see what is leaking.

Airstreams didn't get grey tanks until the early 70s.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
go to Wally Mart and buy one of their blue 5-gal water jugs. It fits right under the dump pipe if you're on level ground. costs like $4, which is less than those $70 blue roller tanks ($70>$4, right? like a lot) and you can usually do two showers or a shower and a set of dishes without filling it. Plus you can keep very accurate track of your water use (and compare your shower consumption to that of other inhabitants!).

You can even put the hose cap on your dump pipe and run a hose to it if that's more convenient.

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:41 AM   #5
1966 17' Caravel
Stockbridge , Michigan
gray water woes solved!

Hey, thanks all of you folks! You're right on the ball. I was planning to open up the underbelly (there are some access panels there already--hope the screws aren't rusted right....) and check where the leak arises. The guy I bought it from gave me a tank to put under the drain, and the drain cap has a hose fitting with cap already. So I guess I'm set except for the leak. And the mosquitoes.
Mary Greiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member
1966 17' Caravel
Santa Rosa , California
Gray water

Hi mary My 66 does the same Leaks gray water out of the Dump untill I let it go I think it just gets backed up with the cap on Before you pull the Belly apart I am new as well Just got a 66 with no gray tank

cedy is offline   Reply With Quote

1966, 1966 caravel, caravel