Old 09-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by brusby View Post
Yep, it all sounded a bit fishy to me too. But I bought it solely for the shell expecting everything else to need replacement.
Good attitude!

Quote:
...the belly pan had already been removed when I got it. The only thing I've done so far is remove the additional flooring the PO added.
Hmmm...do you have the belly pan? If not, you'll porbably want to add one back in otherwise the wood will be exposed to all the road grime & water and just rot away. The belly gives you a way to protect the wood & frame and gives you a cavity for some sort of insultaion.

Quote:
Guess one advantage of not having the original interior is not feeling guilty about destroying nice vintage stuff if I decide to make a few changes.
True, it's a blank canvas...how fun!

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:41 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
My 66 Caravel

Quote:
What a great find and such a beautiful Caravel. Thanks for posting. The pics of your nice original condition '66 will be really helpful.
Thanks for the kind words. I spent 3 years looking for the right AS for us. I didn't want a big project. I have found that it's better to pay for a good one then trying to repair one that wasn't loved. I have had to do very little work on it. I replaced the water heater, sandblasted the frame, New water pump and repaired the belly pan. I still need to replace the axle. She has pretty low miles. Its was not used for 33 year before I got. After looking at others 60's AS I know how lucky I am to have it.

Ace in PA

TAC PA-1
WBCCI 2169

Old 09-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #17

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Ohhh....if only these babies could talk!
I wish I could hear where this one has been. I suspect at some point it had furnishings in it. At least it has a vent stack in the correct place on the rear kitchen side. I don't see one on the other side. Also the water heater door looks like it came off a newer model Airstream. Who knows what has happened in the years since it rolled out of the factory.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
brooklyn park , Minnesota
caravel

Hi from MN, I have a 65; I'll try to upload some inside shots. mine has the original mahogany and veneer mahogany cabinets, happy remodeling. joe q
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020735.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	140557   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020737.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	140558  

Name:	P1020734.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	140559   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020740.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	140560  

Old 09-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Metairie , Louisiana
@Shari - Yes, I'm dreading having to fabricate and install a belly pan. The rest I'm really looking forward to though.

The pictures are really helpful, thanks!

Does anyone have measurements of the interior handy? I'm trying to gather the basics for the larger items to input them into a 3D drafting program and use that get an idea how everything fits together. The smaller details I'll worry about later. Any of these would be a huge help if you have 'em:

1) the elevation or height of the countertop from the floor to the front corner,
2) the depth of the countertop from the curbside wall to the front corner,
3) width of countertop from front corner (edge closest to door) to the curbside room divider,
4) the depth (or width depending how you look at it) of the streetside room divider at countertop level measured from the inside aluminum skin at countertop level to the vertical edge closest to the center of the trailer..
5) Length of the side Gaucho measured at it's longest part.
6) Width of walkway when Gaucho closed (measured between kitchen cabinet and Gaucho)
7) Width of walkway when Gaucho open.

thanks again for all the imput!
Bruce

p.s. I keep saying to myself it's only one relatively small room to redo . . . no big deal. Ha!
Old 09-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Bruce, you are more than welcome to come measure my Caravel in the yard. PM if you want to check it out. I need to get inside soon and look around some - it's been a few months.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:42 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Metairie , Louisiana
That is sooooo generous Mike. I need to get out of New Orleans anyway. Thanks!

Here's a screen shot of what I did last night from the few measurements made in my Caravel plus some guesswork, and a few thoughts on a front dinette/bed configuration.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1966 Caravel interior mockup.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	140576  
Old 09-19-2011, 10:01 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Great thread

Bruce,

I dusted off the drawings I used during our restoration and posted them at the end of this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f145...vel-45046.html

Hopefully they have a number of the dimensions that you're looking for. I'll echo the invite to see her, but Connecticut might be a bit of a drive!

We struggled with what to do with a blank canvas and decided to use the original design, with the exception of a front dinette. I wouldn't change a thing -- the original designers really knew what they were doing.

Good luck with it. You certainly have the right attitude and have gotten some great advice in this thread. I'm looking forward to following a good rebuild. Post pics!

John
Travel Blog: the adventures of tumbleweed
Old 09-19-2011, 10:47 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Bruce- Congratulations on your 66 CV. I know that you will do a great job restoring it.

Ace- great work on your CV. I agree about finding the right one to start with.

I have a 66 TW and love it. But I really like the 66 CV and would really like to own one some day (in addition to my TW). I think the layout and design is outstanding. I would like to tow it with a VW turbo diesel golf.

Dan
Old 09-19-2011, 11:08 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Metairie , Louisiana
John (65CV), those drawings and schematics are beautifully done. Thanks a ton, they're gonna be a huge help. And you're very generous to share!!! Oooh I guess the leaves are 'bout to change in your part of the country. Nice!

I remember reading quite a bit of your original thread when I was first ruminating on the idea of getting and refurbing a little AS. I'm sure much of it was beyond me at the time because I was so new to this whole thing, but I'm looking forward to reading it all again . . . a little more slowly this time.

Seems one of the the most important and most pressing tasks is to determine what wiring, plumbing or whatever needs to go between the inner and outer Al shells and what needs to go inside the body pan. Once I re-install the inner skin and body pan 'certainly don't want to be forced to take either off again to run another line. Maybe I should just buy a bunch of clecos or use screws to hold those skins temporarily in place until all systems are a go.

Hmmm. Just thinking out loud, 'probably best to draw everything out in advance--all systems and associated wiring/plumbing--system by system.

Bruce
Old 09-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Found them!

Bruce,

We didn't have a bellypan on our Caravel and a forum member was nice enough to make patterns for the curved pieces on the four corners. They were a lifesaver. PM your address and I'll send them to you. You have to promise to hang on to them until someone else needs them. If you read our blog, you'll see that the bellypan corners were the toughest part for me.

There were two other links I wanted to pass on. Modarch has posted a ton of pictures of his renovation: Picasa Web Albums - Brandon - 1967 Airstrea... I can't find the link for CJohnson's pics, but you should be able to find his threads and link in the forum.

Plan ahead before you close the walls and bellypan? Absolutely critical. You will forget things, so think about running extra wires. I ran some "smurf tubing" across the dome behind the walls, accessible in the closets for future expansion.

I found the original '65 Caravel layout that I marked up with dimensions. Let me know if you want a copy -- and whether you can read visio files.

Final thought -- if you can't find a bath unit, take a look at the '64 Bambi II layout. Before we decided to fix ours, we seriously considered its use of a side shower with a door. Not as roomy, but it is a bit of a PITA drying up the shower splash in the original unit.

John
Old 09-21-2011, 04:18 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Metairie , Louisiana
John, thanks for all the info and the great offers. Really generous of you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
We didn't have a bellypan on our Caravel and a forum member was nice enough to make patterns for the curved pieces on the four corners. They were a lifesaver. PM your address and I'll send them to you. You have to promise to hang on to them until someone else needs them. If you read our blog, you'll see that the bellypan corners were the toughest part for me.
Wow, that's amazing. I'll PM you. You mean physical patterns that can be used to copy and duplicate onto new aluminum or are you referring to computer generated patterns? Either way a terrific idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
I found the original '65 Caravel layout that I marked up with dimensions. Let me know if you want a copy -- and whether you can read visio files.
The layout with dimensions would be an absolute lifesaver and I would love a copy. I'm not too familiar with visio files but I just did some quick research and it appears a program called OmniGraffle 5 Professional can read them and is available for Mac. So, I'll check into getting a copy unless someone has a better suggestion.

Would like to write more but it's 4:15 a.m and I still haven't been to sleep yet so better get some rest. Thanks again John I'll pm you tomorrow after I catch some zzzzzzzs.

Bruce
Old 09-21-2011, 08:48 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Scaled Drawing

Bruce,

Here's a jpeg of the original '65 layout. I switched a while ago from PCs to Macs and used OmniGraffle Pro to generate the pdfs and this. If you send your email address in the PM, I'll send whatever version you want.

When we bought ours, the original parts were in a pile in the woods. I grabbed them for measurements. I think I checked the numbers on the drawings against them.

The forum member who gave me the patterns liked to sew. They are paper tracings of the bellypan corners. Good stuff.

Get some sleep!

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	scaled_65_caravel.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	140722  
Old 09-22-2011, 10:58 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Metairie , Louisiana
Super John, 'thought I PM'd you my contact info. Maybe it didn't go through. I'll send again right away.

I'll be buying a copy of Omnigraffe Pro, so that format would be perfect.

Please excuse me if it takes a few days to respond to posts. I'm in the middle of trying to get a bunch of CDs mastered and have been working way too much lately.

I did remove a couple of interior panels a few nights ago just to see what was underneath. The insulation was a deteriorated, smelly mess sitting in a clump at the bottom of each section. R value and sound deadening must have been near zero. It'll be soooo nice to get some good insulation in there for odor control, blocking heat transfer, and sound absorption. I'll post pics as soon as I have decent light.

At first I thought the panels were plastic. The PO painted over them but there is a pretty apparent crosshatched pattern underneath. Seems to be plastic bonded to the Al. Guess there were finishes other than Zolatone (sp?) applied at the factory. Gotta figure out whether there is a way to remove the paint while preserving the underlying plastic coating. Might just be easier to strip it all and start over. Opinions welcome!!!

It can be brutally hot and humid here in New Orleans, even at night, so I bought a little 5k BTU A/C made by LG for $99. Sitting on the floor the exhaust vent fits almost perfectly in the rear curbside utility access panel. It did a decent job of making a comfortable work environment with almost no muss or fuss. A/C on the floor and exposed light bulb to work by ... and it's still fun!

One silver lining to buying a stripped trailer is it makes the decision to take things down to the frame and exposed Al structural members much easer than if I had a pristine example. Kinda like vintage guitars. They look and sound great but it can be scary to actually use them. (Still trying to convince myself all this work will be worth it)

Bruce

Tags
1966, 1966 caravel, caravel