Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Link Archive
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2002, 01:43 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Reese hitch on semi-steep slopes?

We pulled our trailer into our campsite the other week - the main road is about 4 feet higher than the site, with a semi-steep approach. My wife was outside helping me park. It was when the window was open that I could hear the bars creeking and groaning. Now, those chain links look awfully strong, HOWEVER, the thought of one of those links breaking and going who knows where kinda scares me. Does anybody else out there unhook the chains when going up/down steep driveways (the trailer levels out before the van does). OR, does the bars flex enough and the the chains strong enough not to worry (I love my wife!). Any thoughts?
Old 09-15-2002, 12:08 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Chains

I stop at the end of my street and move the chains to the last link before going up my steep driveway. This releases all tension on the bars and helps prevent the rear end from dragging. I also back off all tension on the sway bar at the same time since I have to turn very sharply.
WBCCI #9632