Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2002, 01:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
GMC coop Interesting link

This is an interesting site- they are just now getting into Airstream restoration after doing GMC's for years. The GMC motorhome is a classic in itself, and sells briskly in the RV marketplace. Worth a look at what they do there. Located in Orlando, they have their first two Airstreams about to be redone.
http://www.gmccoop.com

I looked at GMC before finding my Airstream. Interesting design and I believe its also on the P3 Chassis.
Old 03-11-2002, 09:17 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Alan,

I also researched the GMC prior to buying my Argosy. But I really wanted to stay in WBBCI.

The GMC was built on its own chassis. The powertain is a front wheel drive system that was used in the same vintage Eldorado and Toronado with heavy duty CV joints.

Due to cancellation of the cars by GM the motorhome drivetrains dried up, hence the short run of the coaches.

I have been browing the Coop Site and my ask him to give me an estimate on painting the Argosy (The Egg). The paint jobs on his web site and the one I have seen in person are beautiful.

Brett
Old 03-11-2002, 12:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
What are you thinking about doing paintwise? Keeping it original in look? I have seen some Argosys that looked really clean with that color. I also saw a 79 Airstream in that same shade in Florida- the owner told me it was a "lower" model made only that year as opposed to the shiny ones. He said the aluminum was lesser quality on his and would not allow him to strip it- although on the gmc coop site it looked like he had stripped one to the metal.
I would guess in 79 Airstream made the Argosy also? So they had 3 levels of motorhome that year..and different sizes as well?
What's the deal on the appollo astronauts motorhome? Was that custom ebuilt for that program, and then no others built like it until 1979?
Old 03-11-2002, 01:31 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Alan,

My wife and I keep going back and forth between original color scheme, silver like an Airstream or maybe original ivory with a red, white and blue stripe (it is a 76 ya know).

I have seen an Argosy trailer that was painted silver and badged as an Airstream, unitl you saw the inside it was hard to tell.

The Airstream motorhome on the Coop Site I believe is an Argosy, the end caps look like they have been primed and the lower body wraps still have some copper paint on them.

Argosy was made along with the Airstream in 79 but I do not know if the Airstreams were painted.

The only diffrence I know of in the construction of the Argosy MH compared to the Airstream motorhome of the 70's was the end caps. They are a single sheet formed steel cap. No seams.

On the NASA Airstreams I thought that those were not actual trailers but custom built shells that were mounted on a platform.

I know that there have been some motorhomes used by NASA but I belive it was in the 80's.

Brett
Old 03-12-2002, 10:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
The guy that had the 79 i saw said it was painted from the factory, and could not be stripped to look like other Airstreams- it was badged Airstream, and had an interior layout like any other 79, but was painted like the Argosy. I had a photo somewhere, if i find it I will post.
Old 03-13-2002, 12:10 PM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Alan,

I found this info:

Argosy line of trailers and motorhomes
"Argosy began possibly around '71 thru late '70s early 80's. The Argosy motorhome started in 1975 and production stopped in 1979. They were built in a separate facility in Versailles, OH. In 1979 there were three models of motorhomes built. The Argosy, a painted Airstream (truly an Argosy with Airstream logos and different paint scheme) and the first silver bullet Airstream motorhome," said Charlie Burke

The Argosy trailers were also built at the Versailles, Ohio plant. Charlie continued, "You could not actually strip and Argosy and find an Airstream. The Argosy motorhome (and the '79 painted Airstream) were built differently. The upper rear segment was a one piece steel segment. True Airstream motorhomes used 5 aluminum segments instead. The motorhome and trailer underwent a significant structural design change in mid 1982. It is not readily apparent except in the trailer lower segments

This came off of http://www.airstreamcentral.com/airhist.htm

Just an FYI update
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 03-13-2002, 05:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
So I guess i am lucky enough to have seen a couple of rare ones. The 79 painted Airstream, and a 79 24' Airstream which was for sale last fall in N Georgia. Funny but I see so few, when I travelled home after picking mine up in Ohio, I passed another on the road in kentucky. of course he waved and flashed lights.
The first one I ever saw was outside Atlanta, near a friends house. The owner has since passed away, and we tried to find out if it was for sael, but no answer.
Old 03-13-2002, 09:02 PM   #8
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Mighty Mouse, I just looked at that link. They do awesome stuff. You would have to have deep pockets to get your coach done at that place. But if there is a market for it...
Rebuilding campers and motorhomes has been my passion for the last 20 years. The first three were VW campers and they all sold like hot cakes, when I finally decided to part with them.
I get so attached to them that I have to interview the potential new owner.
My first Mh was a class C 1978 Avion. Some fine coach! Very rare. I completely restored it. Two days after I ordered the last thing on the list, the front seats, the Airstream showed up.
Then I had 2. But as soon as the word got out that
I might consider selling the Avion, it was gone.
Never have 2, it drives you crazy.
Unless, you want your house to look like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spiderlizzysmall.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	23  
Old 03-14-2002, 01:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I had a VW at one point. It was a lot of fun to camp in. Spent many a night on that cot in the pop up top. Also had a few Ford van campers along the way to my present 28 footer. I am thrilled with the Airstream at this early stage of ownership, I have been known to sit out there with the tv on as a quick escape for a few moments from the kids....a very few moments...