Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2017, 06:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Zolatone Repair

Overall my zolatone is in great shape but I do need to repair places where it is scratched. Can anybody tell me a good way to do this and also how I figure out which color I should use. I have a 1961 Safari which I believe is an Ohio trailer. Thanks so much for any help.
Chris
Felina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Way back when there were few Zolatone colors offered. Green seemed to be the predominant color. Zolatone no longer offers that specific color without a special order of a tremendous amount. I guess a thought would be to see if there is an inconspicuous spot in the back of a cabinet, scrape a small piece off and see if your local paint store can come close to matching the primary color. If it looks close, take a small brush and paint the scratches. Zolatone has multiple colored paint particles. The the overall primary color may be the best you can do. Good luck.
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Welcome to AirForums Chris!

On our first Airstream (1964 GlobeTrotter), had Zolatone that was in great shape with just a few scratches & minor areas of damage as you describe yours - certainly not bad enough to warrant re-spraying or painting over. I went to a local train model hobby shop and bought the tiny little bottles of model paint in colors like the flecks in our Zolatone and a tiny little brush and dabbed the colors on to blend with the Zolatone. I also "painted" replaced rivets the same way. You could not see the repairs once done.

The key is finding the colors in your Zolatone and keeping the sheen down - a lot of the model paints were "high gloss" (which didn't look right), but I found the model paints had a lot of flat "neutral colors" that blended very nicely with our Zolatone. It just took patience & looks of little dabs letting them dry in between so as not to look muddled.

As I recall though, '61's may have the older Zolatone which is more of a solid color with more random flecks...ours was the newer style that was more solid flecks. Regardless, I think the same approach would work. Find colors that match an faux-finish to match the Zolatone colors/pattern.

On our second Airstream, we stripped years of paint off the Zolatone and re-sprayed new Zolatone - so we didn't have to go through the faux-finishing as in our '64, but I have touched-up replaced rivets in the same manner.

Good luck!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:21 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
That is an amazing idea. Thanks so much
Felina is offline   Reply With Quote