Old 10-13-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Ringoes , New Jersey
what is it/does it do?

OK. not sure so put it here, on my 73 Tradewind I found something I do not know what it is. Curb side, behind (rearward) of the battery door, under the wrap. close to the bumper and frame is a "pipe" maybe 3" dia. it has a piece of wire covering the opening. It is almost flush with the bottom of the wrap. It seems to be in bad shape, some erosion of sorts, metal? wood? The pipe comes down vertically from above. I want to know what it is for/ what it should look like. Ie, how far down bewlow the wrap it should come, why it seems to be eroding? MPK

moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparjohn View Post
OK. not sure so put it here, on my 73 Tradewind I found something I do not know what it is. Curb side, behind (rearward) of the battery door, under the wrap. close to the bumper and frame is a "pipe" maybe 3" dia. it has a piece of wire covering the opening. It is almost flush with the bottom of the wrap. It seems to be in bad shape, some erosion of sorts, metal? wood? The pipe comes down vertically from above. I want to know what it is for/ what it should look like. Ie, how far down bewlow the wrap it should come, why it seems to be eroding? MPK
That is not anything Airstream installed.

Post a photo or two and maybe someone can better answer your question.

Andy

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Without a picture, it's kinda hard to guess, but I'll take a stab that it's the heat duct that should connect from a duct on the floor to the black tank box. Maybe the end you can see fell off the black tank box. On our 72, that entire duct was rotted away, as was the metal box around the black tank. Can you run the furnace and feel for hot air coming out of the pipe? If you feel hot air, then it's a heat duct.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Thats the doorway for the mice. well...one of them, anyway.

Ok, seriously: its the exhaust port for the bathroom vent fan. Look down next to the toilet, installed into the closet wall, you may find a small exhaust fan. I've seen it referred to as the "fart fan". There was a duct leading from the back of that fan down to the aft corner of that closet.

Since I have the exact same thing on my 73, I'd guess that Airstream did install it.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Thats the doorway for the mice. well...one of them, anyway.

Ok, seriously: its the exhaust port for the bathroom vent fan. Look down next to the toilet, installed into the closet wall, you may find a small exhaust fan. I've seen it referred to as the "fart fan". There was a duct leading from the back of that fan down to the aft corner of that closet.

Since I have the exact same thing on my 73, I'd guess that Airstream did install it.

My 73 Overlander has it also,I replaced with 2" pvc. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Ringoes , New Jersey
finally here's a pic

now, what, if anything should I do? I am thinking it should extend a bit past the pan/wrap, and get a new cover. MPJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3358.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	328.3 KB
ID:	117188  

moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote