Old 10-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Sherbrooke , Quebec
Water trickle from under the trailer

Hello.

There's a nub under the trailer and its been trickling water (?) everytime I took it for a spin in the last month.

Pior to this, my dad winterused it 5 year ago and emptied all the tanks and water systems. I had not moved since.

Where is this liquid coming from and how can I empty it for good before winter?

Thank you
Ghislain
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1114606195.png
Views:	90
Size:	834.8 KB
ID:	142049  

carmanahwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Condensation drips from the air conditioner coils into a pan underneath the AC unit. That pan drains through a hose routed inside the walls and drips onto the ground. Sound like this might be what you're seeing?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
I'd put my money on the fresh water holding tank. It's virtually impossible to get that tank to drain completely on a 75 tradewind. I'd bet that the drain cock is still open and everytime you move the trailer the remaining water is moving around inside the tank and starts draining out as it gets to the drain point.
Check the two drain cocks under the kitchen cabinet. They are in an access point through a hole cut in the floor. They are located below the level of the floor.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Add a gallon of colored Rv antifreeze to the holding tanks and then see if the water in question is colored next time you check if that is it you are done. If not then check for leaks, or

Put newspaper under it. And when it goes on the paper, wax it and say good job! Soon enough it will learn to go on the paper.

Good luck
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The AC unit could only hold a few ozs. of water and than only if the trailer was tilted away from the hose. That amount of water would evaporate in weeks from the last time it was used.

I agree you have to look at the freshwater holding tank. If the hose in question is on the sane side of the trailer as the fill port that strengthens our suspicions.

Tilt the trailer to the side the hose is on. That should drain the tank in short order. If after that the water reappears that would lead me to believe there is a leak in the trailer and water is making its way to the top of the fresh water tank and collecting in the tank. I say this because some trailer tanks are mounted with a flange at the top and under extreme cold the tank shrinks enough to crack the top of the tank. The tank can be dropped and repaired. When remounting oversize the mounting holes so the tank can float on the mounting screws. Been there had to do that.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:20 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Sherbrooke , Quebec
Thank you all for the info.

I parked it last night on its side and it seems that the water trickle has stopped. I take both scenarios (Air Conditioning and Water thank) and will take a look at it today. We're going for our first outing on this fine Fall day and will park it at a local campground. I am not going to use the water but will test the appliances and electrical.

The little hose is on the same side as the fill port. I will try to look un the underbelly to see if the water tank might be cracked or worse. Thank you for the tips on refitting it.

If all else fails, I'll do the colour trick next summer so I do not have to drain again in preparation for Québec winter.

I do strike it gently every day. Somewhat in disbelief that I now own one of these amazing trailers... I had not thought trying positive reinforcement to potty train it though. Thank you for the tip.

I am not sure where to look for the two drain cocks (not that I know what this is either) under the kitchen cabinet. If you ever have pictures to enlighten me...

I will also have an expert go over the air conditioning next year. So we'll know if it was from it...

Thank you very much for your tips and answers to my questions.

I do have other questions but will start a new tread. See you there?

Happy Fall!
Ghislain
Old 10-09-2011, 07:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
don't fire the water heater is the tank is empty! enjoy the trip :-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:36 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Sherbrooke , Quebec
Good point. Thank you.