Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1970-79 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2016, 06:46 AM   #1
BoyneNorth

Palm City , Florida
VIN # Discrepancy vs. Serial Number

Hello, this is my first post as we are "newbies" to Airstream. We are in the process of closing on a 1978 Tradewind 25' trailer and there seems to be some confusion as to what seller describes as a "VIN #." I had already downloaded the "Pre 1980 Serial Number Identification" which shows on Page 2 that the first digit is a letter and not a number. The first digit is what is in question as seller insists that it is the number "1" and not the letter "I" as shown on the example. When you look at this page it clearly states that the first digit is for the model, either being an "I" for International, an "E" for Excella, or an "L" for Land Yacht. It is not that we doubt the seller's honesty...we just don't want to inherit a huge problem after closing re: insurance, registration, etc. Have any of you encountered a similar situation? Thanks.
BoyneNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum! I have no personal experience with this but share your concerns. FYI here are some earlier threads which may be helpful:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f266...cy-146876.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f352...nes-75709.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f352...amp-18940.html

And here is the Title/VIN sub-forum's list of threads to peruse:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f352/

I see a number of threads which mention Florida. You can also "Search this Forum" at the top right, and enter Florida and choose "Show Posts" -- you might get lucky with another owner in the same boat, er, trailer!

Good luck, and please keep us advised.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
There were no vin numbers before a certain year. The dmv should know this. Ask to speak to someone else. Posted on wrong thread. Sorry
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
When the first digit is stamped on the plate, it is sometimes difficult to distinguish between a 1 and an I. Have you inspected the trailer and the plate? If so, what do you think, if not, have the seller send you a copy and a rubbing.

I really doubt that this is a serious issue as there was no standardization of VIN or Serial numbers prior to 1980.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyneNorth View Post
Hello, this is my first post as we are "newbies" to Airstream. We are in the process of closing on a 1978 Tradewind 25' trailer and there seems to be some confusion as to what seller describes as a "VIN #." I had already downloaded the "Pre 1980 Serial Number Identification" which shows on Page 2 that the first digit is a letter and not a number. The first digit is what is in question as seller insists that it is the number "1" and not the letter "I" as shown on the example. When you look at this page it clearly states that the first digit is for the model, either being an "I" for International, an "E" for Excella, or an "L" for Land Yacht. It is not that we doubt the seller's honesty...we just don't want to inherit a huge problem after closing re: insurance, registration, etc. Have any of you encountered a similar situation? Thanks.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:35 AM   #5
Complete Rehab

1977 31' Sovereign
Peyton , Colorado
Cool Just had the issue

So i just dealt with this.
I purchased a 1977 31' Sovereign in Michigan (i live in Ohio)
the seller had not registered the trailer when he purchased in in 2014 and it was not renewed since 2004.
the original title 1978 had a 1 not an I like the VIN plate
in June when it went to the Ohio title office the get it titled they had to inspect it to verify at which time I showed them that it was an I not a 1 and had it corrected.

It was easier than I expected I also had a written Bill of Sale that noted the issue since the trailer was not titled in the name of the people I purchased it from.
pgothro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:47 AM   #6
BoyneNorth

Palm City , Florida
Our Florida connection
Old 08-23-2016, 10:52 AM   #7
BoyneNorth

Palm City , Florida
Sorry, I am new to this. Re: our Florida connection, our permanent residence is in Florida and we spend all of our summers in Northern Michigan. We are buying the Airstream in South Texas and want to bring it to the Grand Rapids area to Woodland Travel Center to replace the belly pan, window screens, etc. We have good recommendations from people here who have used them while restoring their Vintage Airstream. Then, we will take it to Florida for the winter and then back here in Northern Michigan next summer. The seller has written that she is going to the TxDOT today to get title cleared. I think after reading some of the Forum posts it is a good thing it is getting cleared by the seller! If anyone else has any good recommendations for Northern Michigan or around the Stuart, Fl, area, we would appreciate hearing about them. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2016, 10:54 AM   #8
BoyneNorth

Palm City , Florida
Also, I am using an iPad and I do not see the threads to particular states as was mentioned. Has anyone else noticed any difference when using a computer vs. an iPad or mobile tablet? Thank you!
Old 08-23-2016, 11:50 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Cocoa , Florida
Campsite in fla

We live in Cocoa which is 92 miles north of Stuart. There are rocket launches just about every month at cape canaveral. So maybe you want to look at "jetty park". It's on the ocean and a stones throw from the launch pads. VERY COOL. And you have a good chance at a spot in the summer/early fall.

Safe travels
Bhkh226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:52 PM   #10
BoyneNorth

Palm City , Florida
I have now been informed by seller that Texas does not recognize and "I" as the first digit on a serial or VIN #. She says Texas always puts it in the computer as a numeral "1." My question: I am not registering this trailer in Texas. It will be registered in Florida. If a 1978 Tradewind trailer DOES NOT HAVE A "1" then the burden to prove the VIN # (or the lack thereof of one prior to 1980), then the burden falls upon us as buyers to correct the title when we get to Florida. Correct? HAS ANYONE BOUGHT A TRAILER IN TEXAS and tried to register it with the "1" vs. the correct "I" IN ANOTHER STATE? We were going to register it by providing documents to the proper Florida DMV by mail since we will not return to Florida prior to November 1. Again, thanks for any experience like this.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:33 PM   #11
BoyneNorth

Palm City , Florida
Thanks for the info; but, I was really asking about places to have work done. If you have any suggestions, that would be great! Thanks!
Old 08-23-2016, 01:49 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
McDonough , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyneNorth View Post
Also, I am using an iPad and I do not see the threads to particular states as was mentioned. Has anyone else noticed any difference when using a computer vs. an iPad or mobile tablet? Thank you!
To answer your question: Oh yes, big difference. There usually is a pull-down menu in your browser where you can "request desktop site" - but it doesn't always work.

Sites are programmed differently for mobile devices to optimize display on the smaller screens (and other stuff that I'm not too sure of). Usually the web site automatically detects what kind of device is accessing it and displays mobile or desktop as needed.

Personally, the mobile sites I've used so far (including airforums) drive me crazy, and I usually try to get the desktop version running. But I'm an old fogey, set in my ways!
Kittycatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
VIN # Discrepancy vs. Serial Number

The serial number may be stamped into the tongue. On my '74 Argosy 26' the number is located on the curb side of the tongue just behind the propane tanks.
You may have to scrape some paint off to find it. The numbers on my coach are at least 1/2" in size. Easy to read once the paint is removed.
They are on the top surface.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote