Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2004, 09:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Question Shock absorbers changing

shock absorbers, I have been restoring my 71 tradewinds for the last year now and i have gotten close then i came up apon the shock absorbers as i was repacking my bearings and checking the brakes. why does the top bolt of the shock loosen toward the frame where you cannot pop it out, because it binds against the frame.
my question is has any body had success changing the shocks ?
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 09:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Shocks

Here is one of many threads on shock replacement. Shocks
Great picture by Chas
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 08:52 AM   #3
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Bend it

Just bend the bracket out until the shock clears between the frame and the stud.
But - when i replaced my axles and shocks, the old shocks were still functional. Pushing/pulling revealed the same tension as the new ones had.....go figure.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
As stated on some earlier posts you have to bend the top bracket so that you can slide the shock off the stud. I have a 94 and the stud is welded in, or at least it appears to be. I used a 24" pipe wrence on it and could not get it to budge.
I was told to use Monroe Shock # 33033 as the replacement shock. This may work on older Airstreams that have a 1/2" stud top and bottom, but mine has a 1/2" on top and a 5/8" on the bottom. I found this out only after purchasing 6 shocks. The replacement shock for mine in NAPA part no 555003 RV Severe Service. The compression length is the same as the Monroe but the extended length is greater by 1". The bushing size is correct. I almost lost my trailer just starting out to go to the International in Vermont because my potable water tank was only 1/2 full and it began sloshing. The shocks were worn to the point that they could not control the sway. It pulls much better now. Hope this is of some help to you.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 12:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Reference Monroe

Found a good reference sheet for Monroe shocks.
The 33033 Monroe is a Monroe-Matic group, and the 555003 is a Monroe Gas-Matic RV group shock.

At the following reference, click on the "shock absorber 'dimension' chart. The 33033 is on page 3 and the 555003 is on page 5. You can also find shock absprber mounting 'style' chart.

Be cautious, the 550003 'severe service' and the 555003 'RV' are different animals.

Here is the Monroe Reference
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 01:23 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you are not changing the axle, you need to bend the bracket slightly to allow the bolt to come out. I changed mine when I replaced my axle. Of course it was easy then, it only cost a few hundred more to do it that way...
Terry
Old 03-10-2004, 05:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Replacing all six shocks took about 8 hours. I also repacked bearings and adjusted brakes. Cost was under $200 for all work. 4 of the brakes were way out of adjustment. On one the spring had broken and on 4 the star wheel had to be removed loosen it so that it would turn. Lubed it and put it back.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:21 PM   #8
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
horizontal vs. vertical

I am not sure the normally vertical Monroe shocks will be effective in a horizontal mounting pattern, as it is on the Airstream.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I had checked with others that had used this shock in this application before I purchased them and they have traveled over 25k miles through the flatlands of the east coast as well as climbing the rockies with them and had no problems.
I have made a trip to Florida from North Carolina and back and they seem to do t he job. In 6 weeks I will be doing a cross country trip 8k miles and this should be a decent test. I feel very confident with them.