Old 01-19-2016, 08:57 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
Denver , Colorado
Seventies Tradewind Vista Vue Slider Shades

I'm feeling like a bit of a failure as a web design/code guy, but I'll be darned if my internet searches can turn up a photo of what a 70's window shade slider looks like on a Landyacht Trade Wind Vista Vue window (either side).

I've got the original skins, plastic inserts (behind the skins), and aluminum sheet slider for both vista vue windows (I think there is a piece of trim missing for the rectangular cut skin window hole), but I would like to see a photo of what they look like so I can decide if I want to clean up the parts and re-install them as stock, or do something different.

Can someone post a shot of their 70's vista vue sliding window shade so I can see what it looks like?

I've got a 1972 Land Yacht Trade Wind gutted to the exterior skins, but it came with all the interior skins and plastic parts (the parts that hold the single sheet aluminum window shade sliders), so I'm just trying to make some decisions as I put the insulation and skins back together before I start doing the interior design/build.

Thanks in advance for any photos that might be posted!

kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
You might want to rephrase your question and or I googled "images of 1972 Airstream Tradewind" and found a fair amount of interior image's but not sure they are good enough for you to see what you need.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 05:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
They're plastic with a handle. Think the sliding shades in airplane windows.
Check out this blog entry:

Progress on polishing and 1 Vistview window broken - Airstream Forums
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 05:32 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
You might want to rephrase your question and or I googled "images of 1972 Airstream Tradewind" and found a fair amount of interior image's but not sure they are good enough for you to see what you need.
Right. I've looked through hundreds and hundreds of photos with various search criteria and nothing I'm finding shows a shot of the way the skin, interior trim, casement, and slider all line up over the vista vues. I'm pretty good at searching (thus my despair).
Old 01-20-2016, 05:41 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
PERFECT! Thanks so much. And it is as I suspected: I seem to have everything except the gasket-like trim piece that goes around the rectangular cut out in the skin.

I like how the shade slides behind the skin, but it doesn't exactly look great (all the clunky plastic, the gaps around the window behind the skin, etc.).

I'd love to do some kind of custom tambour shade that slides over the window, but I'm not sure I've got the time/energy to do the work with everything else that needs done before the AS is useable, and I kind of have to decide now what I'm doing, as I'm putting the skins back up and won't have easy access behind them anymore.

I may end up trying to just fabricate the window trim "collar" like is on the flat windows and then going with a removable shade that functions as an insert attached with magnets, but getting the curve for the vista vues will probably be tricky.

Thanks again!
Old 01-20-2016, 06:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Looks like you are in business. It was just a matter of the right person seeing it and responding. Good luck

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote