Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1970-79 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
albuqerque , New Mexico
Need replacement thermostat for '75 Tradewind

Hi all,

This weekend I noticed my thermostat was stuck at 80 degrees. So the a/c just get going and going and almost froze us solid since i went to bed with it on. Whats great is its the original a/c and it works just great! I've looked around and am finding it hard to locate a 2 cool only thermostats that would work. Looking at the wiring diagram it says it needs a 24 volt with Y, G1, G2 and R. I cannot find any thermostats that have the g1 and g2 setting. Has anyone replaced theirs with a newer unit? If so how do I wire it to get both speeds?

Thanks

Kris
kljfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
San Bernardino , California
I replaced mine with a $29.00 unit from Lowes. The units are made by Hunter and are digital and work really well. It come with stickers to go on the wires. Three of the wires go to the Air and two go to the heater.
Rick N
ricknach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricknach View Post
I replaced mine with a $29.00 unit from Lowes. The units are made by Hunter and are digital and work really well. It come with stickers to go on the wires. Three of the wires go to the Air and two go to the heater.
Rick N
Errr isn't your heater (furnace) 12V? If so, that AC thermostat from Lowes isn't going to work. You need a 12V t-stat that's separate from the 120V A/C.
Taylormade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Correct me if I am wrong but don't the older trailer have an AC with a separate thermostat from the furnance? Are you just looking for a thermostat with a knob?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kljfamily View Post
Hi all,

This weekend I noticed my thermostat was stuck at 80 degrees. So the a/c just get going and going and almost froze us solid since i went to bed with it on. Whats great is its the original a/c and it works just great! I've looked around and am finding it hard to locate a 2 cool only thermostats that would work. Looking at the wiring diagram it says it needs a 24 volt with Y, G1, G2 and R. I cannot find any thermostats that have the g1 and g2 setting. Has anyone replaced theirs with a newer unit? If so how do I wire it to get both speeds?

Thanks

Kris
Kris.

99 percent of the time, that original thermostat can be repaired in less than a couple of minutes.

I have done it for 40 years.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote