Old 08-21-2011, 05:57 AM   #1

1977 25' Tradewind
Guestling , East Sussex
Music Centre wiring?

Hi, I have a 1977 Trade Wind that is pretty much in its original state. If I can, I prefer to repair rather than replace when things wear out. Partly it's cheaper, but mostly I find it more fun. The next thing on my long list of things to tackle is the furnace. I think it's a case of wasps nesting and no more. The sail switch doesn't close, so it's probably a blocked intake. Anyway, the furnace is under the sink and I know that the speaker wires, antenna and 12 volt supply cables for the music centre are in the wall nearby. I'm just no sure exactly where. They could be under the roadside window or under the sink. I've scoured the literature and asked Airstream and looked into all of the holes in the wall I can find, but to no avail. It seems the music centre would have been housed under the window but the fader controlling the speakers would have been in the cubby hole under the sink. The weird thing is, the speakers were put in by Airstream, but not the music centre. I'm not keen to drill holes in the wall without a very good idea of the correct spot. If my drilling doesn't reveal the wires, the patches would be like accusing eyes, staring their baleful reminder at me for ever more. So, whilst the furnace is out, I will be able to reach the wall under the sink (if that is where the wiring lurks). Do any of you know where I can find the music centre wiring in my 1977 Trade Wind? Maybe you have one installed and you can have a look for me?

By the way, as you can probably tell from my spelling and the excessive use of commas, I'm in the UK. We full time in our beautiful Trade Wind and we are finding it more and more difficult to contemplate ever living in bricks and mortar again.

Dastardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:19 AM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The speaker wires should go down the channel in the center of the coach in the ceiling. The radio and speaker control should have been put in a small tilt-out cabinet near the front couch, with wires disappearing into the wall, and up into the ceiling, at that point. The antenna is part of the television antenna, so if you ever replace the tv antenna, you'll need to install a radio antenna as well.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:43 AM   #3

1977 25' Tradewind
Guestling , East Sussex
Thanks for the swift reply. The tilt out cabinet came without a radio and no holes or wires. I'm guessing the wiring comes down the left hand side of the window. Unless anyone has even more precise positioning info, I'll be making holes under the left side of the roadside window. Thanks again and here's to music playing throughout the Trade Wind.
Dastardly is offline   Reply With Quote