Old 10-09-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Sherbrooke , Quebec
Misc. questions about a little bit of everything I don't understand...

Hi there again.

I took a few pictures this morning of misc. things I don't know about. I am throwing them at you knowing you are not interested by this kind of trivia...

General info:

I am the new proud owner of a 25 ft 1975 Tradewind Landyacht with a front gaucho and bedroom double bed. I think I am the 4th owner following my Dad who had it for 12 years and has not used it for the last 5 (sadly due to his poor health). He just passed it on to me to put it back in shape and we are buying him a 13 ft trailer for next summer so we can go camp together as a family.

Questions:
1. These two wires are on the back wall of the bedroom closet. There is a connector which I tried but did not see any change in the trailer when they were connected.

2. This electric socket is in the bathroom closet. It looks like cotton wires. If you look under the entry point in the hull, you'll see the top of an two socket electric plugs. Does this mean that the shelf is not original? Do you have a picture of what an original bathroom closet would look like?

3. This is again in the bathroom closet. My dad tells me it was installed by the PO. ???

4. Do you know how I could fix these doors under the front gaucho?

5. The clock needs a new battery. I am hoping it will work...

6. The thermometer (it says it is for the exterior temp.) is connected to a wire which disappears into this tube connected to the side of the trailer. Do you know where the other end is? At the moment, it says we're below freezing when in fact we are around the 55 F. Is there any way to calibrate it?

7. Above the front gaucho, the rounded ceiling is cracked. What would the simple repair plan be? I am no handyman...

Thank you for your help...

Happy Columbus Day (US) and Happy Thanks Giving Day (CAN)
Ghislain
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0423.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	304.4 KB
ID:	142111   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0425.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	279.3 KB
ID:	142112  

Name:	IMG_0427.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	142113   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0428.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	370.9 KB
ID:	142114  

Name:	IMG_0429.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	142115   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0431.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	142116  

Name:	IMG_0432.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	142117  

carmanahwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The electrical wires in the first photo look original, but I don't know what they went too. One is probably a "hot" 12 volt line, the other the ground. If you connected them together you most likely blew a fuse.

The wires going to the round electrical box may not be original, as I don't recall Airstream ever using a round metal surface mount box with a cover in any of their electrical work. I have no idea from the photo what they could have gone to or been for.

The third photo shows some kind of a 12 volt fuse, but again no idea of what it was for, most likely not original.

The tambor doors under the front couch can be removed (may or may not be easy, look for screws in the plastic track on each end) and new canvas or heavy muslin put on the back with spray on adhesive (leave the end half inch un covered so they slide in the tracks better) and re assembled. I am sure there are threads here on the forum with detailed instructions on how to do it best.

The clock most likely has a battery in the back of it. You will need to take the panel out that holds it, probably two screws showing somewhere.

I would guess the thermometer is an old mechanical one, with a long capillary tube to the outside somewhere. Most likely broken capillary tube. Little chance of replacement. New digital ones are under $20, and the easiest solution.

I am sure there are threads here on how to repair the cracks. You can stop the spread of them (usually) by drilling a very small (1/8") hole at the very end of the crack. I can say that Krylon Fusion for plastics spray paint (white, satin) will work wonders for making the old yellowed plastic look like brand new. The refrigerator vent, end caps, and often the AC interior cover all can benefit from that wonderful spray paint.

Have fun.

idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Sherbrooke , Quebec
Hi IDROBA!

Thank you for your helpful answers...

I did not blow a fuse so maybe they are not live. I should haves this before trying to connect them.

I will continue inspecting next week when a electrical engineering friend will come to take a look.

Thanks for the instructions on the roll door.

I found the other end of the capillary for the thermometer. It is coming our of a whole on the streetside front underbelly. It is all green. I'll see if a little clean-up might help. I'll try to gage its "connectiveness" to the other end of the wire by the unit. We'll see.

Have a good day!
Ghislain
carmanahwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmanahwoo View Post
Above the front gaucho, the rounded ceiling is cracked. What would the simple repair plan be? I am no handyman...
Here is one approach to the cracked ceiling. . .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crack_cover-up.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	142147  
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Is the first picture in the wardrobe closet or the bath? My 75 TW has no wires in the wardrobe, but the wires look like the ones in my bathroom closet that go to the thermostat for the furnace.

The battery for the clock can be replace by reaching through the overhead on either side.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote