Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Summerfield , North Carolina
Intellipower Conversion Questions

Hi, I have a 1972 TradeWind that I am renovating. I am replacing my Univolt with an Intellipower 9245 and also adding a DC fuse panel. My questions concern some Univolt wires. I have attached a schematic of what I am doing and would very much like any feedback as to the correctness of my plan. I have listed my questions on this schematic attachment. Thanks for any help you can provide. (I've also read as many posts as I could find, but haven't found answers to my questions.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream - DC Power Center Schematic & Questions.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	111671  
todanielm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Vintage Trailer Supply's website has a very good schematic for hooking up an Intelipower ,you might want to check that out.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air View Post
Vintage Trailer Supply's website has a very good schematic for hooking up an Intelipower ,you might want to check that out.
Thanks very much for the information. I will check that out. Take care.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #4
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Some answers:

1) with the original wiring, the white wire connected to one side of a shunt, which created a small voltage drop for monitoring the current flowing in or out of the battery. If you're not using a shunt (you don't want/need the amp meter in the panel to work), connect the white wire directly to the battery ground.

2) The blue charge wire from the car should connect through a fuse on the panel (20A is typical) to the DC + buss in the panel. The fuse is critical, since it prevents disaster if the car/trailer wiring shorts to ground.

3) You should use a fuse or circuit breaker rated for whatever wire size you used (typically 40-50A) as close to the battery as practical.

Remember, the battery will provide virtually unlimited (well, unlimited compared to the capability of the wiring) current. You want all the wiring to be protected in case something goes wrong. In this case, limiting the total current from (or into) the battery to 50A protects the battery wires, fuse panel and Intellipower wires (in case they ground between the panel and the Intellipower).

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hi Bart, thanks so much for answering all of my questions - much appreciated!!! Take care. Daniel