Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1970-79 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2002, 10:03 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Redmond , Oregon
Uwe,
I agree with Tom about NOT locating batteries to the front of the Trade Wind. Not because of the line loss but because it would make an already heavy front even heavier. That and 70's frames have a history of not being overly stiff.

My battery compartment has a plastic liner, on the door as well as in the compartment. The door liner acts as a shelf when the door is open so the battery can be slid out onto it and it acts as a big spacer block when the door is closed. Are 72's different from 71's?

I am in the planning stages of remodeling my electrical/battery system. Please let us all know how yours turns out.

First on my list is to off the Univolt, mine has been 'customized' by a prior owner, and I do not like the 'hummmmm'.

Take care - Les Brush
igor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 10:14 PM   #22
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Hi Les,

I guess 71's are different from 72's. I have seen the type of compartment you have with the bottom hinge. Mine is the flip up and fall off type.
I have decided to make a slideout type box, that holds 2 batteries, volt meter and a selector/disconnect.
The way we camp is often without hookups in Mexico. So having a spare battery to switch to would suit me well. Sort of like the propane tanks.
I have a schematic for a shutoff relay, I might put a remote shutoof switch by the door. Maybe not, though, because of teh extra wiring and the extra trouble spots. Keep it simple, right?
So I am looking for the low profile sliders, ones that can actually hold 2 heavy batteries. I am going to also build a sealed battery box, with a vent connection to the outside vent. But not this summer. Having too much fun be-bopping around SoCal with the silver twinkie......
Old 09-04-2003, 07:44 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Hmmm '71 or '72 Trade Wind

Uwe,

Although my serial number definitely says it was manufactured in 1971, I too have the bottom hinge door that Les mentioned for his '72. The PO gave me the Owner's Manual that was for '72 models. Maybe I have the '72 design manufactured in late '71? I also wonder if there were differences in Airstreams manufactured in California and Ohio at the time. Mine was manufactured in California.

Anyway, since the PO let the Airstream sit for 8 years I found the battery terminals completely corroded away. So today I bought a new battery, battery box and new terminal connectors. Then it got dark and I couldn't install. Also today I finally got my 30 amp outlet installed at my garage but am still waiting for the energy company to connect my power. So I sit with no battery connection and no electrical connection yet. Getting pretty antsie to see what works and what doesn't including the photovoltaic solar panel on my AS roof.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:41 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1977 31' Sovereign
Narvon , Pennsylvania
Wow, some interesting dialog here. Glad I came upon it.
I wonder how NASA gets to make a decision??
When dealing with such important stuff, it is important that info flow readily so one can make a decision based on their own needs and beliefs.
So, thanks for the info and KEEP on posting, even if somebody disagrees and keep it polite.
Thanks for the insight into this stuff.
Ken
kenwadude is offline   Reply With Quote