Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1970-79 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2007, 06:20 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Latham , New York
Any quick fixes for copper pipe?

Hi,

Haven't got the service manual yet, and have a chance to go camping this weekend but the only thing holding us up is a leak at this joint in the copper pipe. Anybody know of anything that can get us thru the weekend til we can take our "new baby" in for her first check up? We are real new at this!!....although we did get the water pump to work...
We still can't get any water to go thru the lines at the city water connection....nothing! Does that pressure regulator need to be adjusted to allow water to go thru it?
Thanks,
Christine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	close up leak.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	38264  
jask12rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:37 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If the leak is in the joint, just heat up the joint with a torch. It will re-sweat the solder and hopefully stop the leak. If it's at a point just above hte joint, you can unsolder the pipe using the same method, cut off the leaking part, and resweat the remaining pipe. Don't forget to put some flux on the new pipe, along with some fresh solder..
Old 05-30-2007, 06:37 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
A quick temporary fix is to wrap a piece of thick (1/8") rubber around the leak and squeeze it with a band clamp. That should get you thru the weekend.
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:46 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander17
A quick temporary fix is to wrap a piece of thick (1/8") rubber around the leak and squeeze it with a band clamp. That should get you thru the weekend.
That's a good suggestion if the leak is in the pipe itself. We have had to use a similar method on board some of the ships I was on, involving a sleeve of metal and several bolts with large wing nuts to tighten them. Clamp the sleeve over the leak with the bolts. They were supposed to be temporary, but I have seen some that had very obviously been in place for years.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jask12rs
Hi,

Haven't got the service manual yet, and have a chance to go camping this weekend but the only thing holding us up is a leak at this joint in the copper pipe. Anybody know of anything that can get us thru the weekend til we can take our "new baby" in for her first check up? We are real new at this!!....although we did get the water pump to work...
We still can't get any water to go thru the lines at the city water connection....nothing! Does that pressure regulator need to be adjusted to allow water to go thru it?
Thanks,
Christine
Hmmm; The leak fix suggestions you received are what I would suggest. Also there is the putty like epoxy material they use for quick repairs for boats and fuel tanks. You can find that at auto suppy stores. As for the lack of city water flow you have something blocking it. It wouldn't take much to 'fiddle' with the water pressure valve but I doubt that is the cause. If you do.... get a water pressure valve to put onto the hose fitting. Your system will not take much pressure over 45 psi or you will have more leaks to repair especially with your old rig.

Neil and Lynn
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:58 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I have had an Argosy with athe same lack of city water problem, it turned out the regulator was clogged. I rapped on it with a wrench and got enough water pressure to use for the weekend. A wqay to check this is to fill your inboard water tank, turn on the water pump, and watch for flow. If you get good pressure using the onboard systems, but the city water doesn't work, and you can't get it to work, you will have to replace the regulator.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
A piece of plastic or rubber tubing overlapping both ends held in place with double hose clamps on each end. A little dish soap will help it slide on.

As for soldering on new connections, if the copper line has frozen but not cracked it is likely the copper will have stretched and new fittings will no longer fit.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:35 AM   #8
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
call a plumber?

Another option: call a local plumber if you're not keen on doing it yourself.
  1. The plumber will Do It Right (they aren't happy to do their own rework)
  2. The plumber will Do It Quick (hey, you want a "quick" + "fix", right?)
Me? I love to be the one to really mess things up first, before calling in the professionals, so I'd get right in there and flame on!

On the other hand, this might just be leak #1...fix it and find another Hopefully that's not the case!

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:18 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Latham , New York
That'd be too easy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cats
Another option: call a local plumber if you're not keen on doing it yourself.
  1. The plumber will Do It Right (they aren't happy to do their own rework)
  2. The plumber will Do It Quick (hey, you want a "quick" + "fix", right?)
Me? I love to be the one to really mess things up first, before calling in the professionals, so I'd get right in there and flame on!

On the other hand, this might just be leak #1...fix it and find another Hopefully that's not the case!

Cheers,
-jd.
That would be just too smart and too easy!! We got to give it the ol' "try to fix it ourself" routine first...but not much "know how" here!!
Don't think I'd dare put a torch in there...too many wires around and don't really know what I'm doing....

Thanks for all the advice everybody...wish us luck on the shakedown cruise!!
Christine
jask12rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:54 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Battle Ground , Washington
The pressure regulator is already set for the correct pressure. Check the water screen where you hook up the hose. At an auto parts store you can find a quick fix for the water pipe. I had a leaking water pipe under the kitchen sink. I converted it to plastic. Got the parts at a plumbing store.
Hippo is offline   Reply With Quote