Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1970-79 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Burnsville , North Carolina
'73 Tradewind Project

The project is well underway. Haily is getting a facelift. I want to start logging some of the work. Here are a few shots of what we started with. The photos don't show just how dirty the inside really was.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rightside posting.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	452.8 KB
ID:	124105   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0833.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	124106  

Name:	IMG_0775.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	359.1 KB
ID:	124107   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0844.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	124108  

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
constructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:55 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Looks good! The interior looks almost all original (ex. curtains).

Good luck with your resto!
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Is the tambour in your galley in good shape and functional still? That's the one area that we had to rip out and replace.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Tambour and More Stinking Leaks

All but under the sink work well. We are going to try the cut in half method and let one side retract in and the other piece slide back and forth.

Dang DANG DANGGGGG. Just went and inspected Haily on my lunch break as we have had hours of hard rain. We have LEAKS that we thought we got. Poor constructor will have to do some more sealing. Front windows which he beautifully broke out one pane and removed the ugly tint mess and mold are leaking and back in the street side closet where the shell meets the frame.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Punch List and Costs

At the risk of TMI....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf forum list 3 10 11.pdf (110.0 KB, 238 views)
Old 03-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Never too much TMI -- it's interesting to compare our costs on stuff against others. All of our vertical tambours were dead (galley and credenza) and had to be removed. Eventually, I just built regular doors on the front of the galley, but we wanted to keep everything as original as possible in ours (at least from an appearance standpoint). After squeezing two kids up front in our double/double, we removed the credenza and built in a seat that folds out to a twin bed. We still have the tambour everywhere else, and still in decent shape.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
Old 03-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Tear it up! I'm ready to see some blood and guts.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Sault ste Marie , Ontario
Our PO's were smokers, I think I brightened up our interior by about 50% just by scrubbing the walls and ceiling with a good industrial cleaner. Luck was also with us as all our tambour doors work. The only one that was a little sticky was the narrow one under the galley counter and that was fixed with a little candle wax. Hope you get your leaks sorted out, they seem to be a constant issue. Cheers............Phil.
pgr32e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:37 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
On the interior vinyl coated aluminum walls of these 70's units, there is a sticky substance which is continually exuded from them resulting in sticky walls. You'll find other's posts on here talking about it and how to mitigate it. But it's always there on these units. It does tend to attract dirt pretty badly. We accused our PO's (prior owners) of deep fat frying all the time when--but later learned the recurring vintage Airstream lesson of "They're all like that" applies....
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #10
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
We tried the floor wax treatment on the walls after they were cleaned, and it seems to have worked well for the past year.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by exthemius
We tried the floor wax treatment on the walls after they were cleaned, and it seems to have worked well for the past year.
AH HA, So glad I started this. Vinyl floor wax I assume.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
I have searched and cannot find any info on the lower exterior trim on our 73 Tradewind being the source of leaks. Our trim is pretty beat up and not tight in many places. The PO installed the awning in a manner that has separated the trim from the shell.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #13
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Yeah -- first we ordered a little handheld bathroom scrubby cleaner off amazon (it's battery operated, used for cleaning your tubs and such). Sprayed the walls with orange oil (or whatever degreaser you're comfortable using), then wiped on Future Floor Wax. If you don't get it clean, then the wax will only work for a little while -- you have to get all of gunk off first.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:09 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Trim Pics. The constructor is making his plan for sealant and riveting this back down. Advice is appreciated. The awning is going to be removed. Besides the poor install it is in bad shape.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0960.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	124207   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0962.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	324.6 KB
ID:	124208  

Name:	IMG_1047.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	325.9 KB
ID:	124209  
Old 03-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Flooring and Curtains 73 Tradewind

Work In Progess (WIP). We can't seem to finish up one job when another issue nips at our heels (the leaks today). We may not be 100% by 1st trip Date, April 7th, but we will make due and ENJOY! The flooring is floating engineered bamboo and curtains are sunbrella with a blackout lining. We still want to tint the windows and darn it, if that got left off the LIST. Along with including the new stained clear pine stand off that the constructor installed for the curtain track and to put the couch cushion in the correct place.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1017.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	308.6 KB
ID:	124210   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1057.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	361.2 KB
ID:	124211  

Name:	IMG_1060.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	124212  
Old 03-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
1 The constructor got the new instant hot water heater partially installed using parts from the old hwh box, still some fabricating to go.

2. Working in the plumbing.

3. I ruined the light indicator with the stripper. Where do I find a new one of theses?

Ordered the cyclo and parts for polishing tonight. Didn't get any work done today and little yesterday due to us both getting a dreaded cold
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-377092653.png
Views:	181
Size:	859.2 KB
ID:	124450   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1461753203.png
Views:	183
Size:	838.3 KB
ID:	124451  

Name:	image-84813682.png
Views:	176
Size:	830.3 KB
ID:	124452  
Old 03-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Good luck on your TW. Did a lot of work on mine, on that tambour under the sink I did what you said split the panel so the right 1/3rd was fixed and only the left side had to roll up into the canister. Recovered all of the plastic woodgrain with 1/8" Red oak veneer. Stained with Minwax Provential 215 and it matches the original color and tambour.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Thank RH, your panel redo looks great!
Old 03-14-2011, 01:52 PM   #19
x

XXXX , XXXX
Ann here is a link to the part you need for the taillight monitor.
Inland RV Center Inc.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
73 Tradewind Leaks and Polishing

Next up: Along with tracking down exterior leaks is ...Pulling the fresh water tank. It is leaking if filled over 1/4 full. All our booked trips this year are in campgrounds with water and city water is working fine but we do want this taken care of.

Speaking of leaks, the trim at the banana wrap to the exterior siding is not tight and the siding laps behind NOT over the banana wrap as we expected. Does this mean the BW was replaced wrong or is this a factory original? The constructor has placed it on the list of places to seal up. He is planning on butyl tape and vulkem. Input please! The pictures shows the poorly installed awning by the PO that is also on the list for removal and replacement, that has further pulled the trim off.

Starting the polishing and I am going to help (thinking like the kid on the shake and back commercials, did she really help?) Question on the polishing, we don't have a Dewalt, but a 7" Chicago 1000 to 3000 rpms. Will this work? It isn't adjustable except by the pressure placed on it. Ordered the cyclo... so that is covered.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0962.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	324.6 KB
ID:	124545  

Tags
1970s land yacht, 1973 tradewind