Old 11-16-2013, 04:47 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Chattanooga , Tennessee
It has been a long 5 months of other issues dominating my life, but did want to bring my readers up to date.

I finished off the back platform bed. It rests above the water heater and fills up about a queen size space. I took my old twin foam mattresses and trimmed with them with my turkey knife to fit.

I added a locking hatch on the back of the rig so that I can put my solar panels on one side and my cords and hoses (not sewer) on the other. It makes good use of underneath the platform bed.

Pix to follow.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:51 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Chattanooga , Tennessee
You might notice that I am now in Tennessee. I finished up the rig and have now towed it across country to be nearer to my children who are in Arkansas and TN.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131105_142528_636.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	463.9 KB
ID:	200098  

Old 07-17-2015, 09:36 PM   #45

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
I like the trailer and the modifications you've done to it! Would you post further pictures so I can see how things are laid out and how they visually work. Also, do you think $4500 is fair for a '72 Tradewind in good shape? What, if you were to sell, would you ask for yours?
Michael
202-907-6200
GREENovaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:36 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Chattanooga , Tennessee
I just took and added some current pictures.

"good shape" is the tricky phrase. How are the axles(biggest expense, and if never done, will need them), a/c, holding tank (only had black in '72, I added a grey as part of my work), leaks of all sorts, brakes?????

As my story said, I basically bought it as is without much knowledge on any of those issues. I have put in (parts only) about $12,000 to make it in great shape.

One thing I always know, is that I have the only trailer in the campground that is going up in value over time.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #47
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Paw stuck , Connecticut
Hi got my tradewind land yacht memorial day this year...because of condition and smell I removed everything down to bare walls & wires I'll have an electrician rewire for my needs big question is it possible to put up 1/4" plywood over insulation wires for new interior walls? I really cant imagion putting the old aluminum walls back up with rivets they are stinky and have a lot of cuts and cut outs I will not need any advice about this project I want the land yacht for my vintage business and didn't need all that was original and in rough shape
Katzmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:24 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
The aluminum interior skins are part of the structure. You might try what we did, power was interior skins laying flat on the ground, ours cleaned up nicely. That is unless yours are covered in mouse fur, then I have no good suggestion

Sent from my iPhone
David & Diane
Old 10-02-2015, 11:39 AM   #49
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Paw stuck , Connecticut
how did you replace by using original rivet holes into wall frames? that is one of the problems there were hundreds of rivets and lots of cutouts I don't need also can you panel over the skins once replaced? thanks
Old 10-02-2015, 08:03 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Hi Betty71, welcome to Air Forums and the vintage Airstream hobby. Sounds like you want to rehab your Trade Wind into a business trailer.

Hey, you attracted a post from D'Flores - David and Diane. They built their Safari in short order on their kitchen table. You ought to read their thread. I found it very interesting. There is nothing these folks can't build on their kitchen table!

The interior skins are important. The exterior aluminum and the interior aluminum rivets to the "hoops" or ribs create a strong, light sandwich structure. Airstreams are built like old airplanes. Wood does not have the strength or lightness of aluminum. Ask David, but I think you can drill new holes for new aluminum interior skins. But like David said, aluminum cleans up nicely. It is likely many of your interior skins can be reused. All 40 year old Airstreams are stinky and dirty. But they can be made like new again.

Maybe you have visited the Timeless Travel Trailer website. This shop custom builds fantastic vintage Airstreams both for business and private use. You might get some neat ideas from their posted projects they have completed.

You have to give your Tradewind a "physical exam" from the tires up. Assess all of its structure and systems. Chances are you will be looking at new axles, brakes, belly pan, rusted frame repair, subfloor rot, plumbing and electrical issues, window problems, and on and on. Rebuilding one of these things is a lot of work and a lot of money. Just plan your project and budget accordingly. Or get somebody like Timeless to build it for you and write them a big check. Business investment!

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:05 PM   #51
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Paw stuck , Connecticut
Hi me again is there a trick to taking out the allen screws? I bought the tool but the little screws won't turn I even tried wd40!!!
Old 10-05-2015, 07:05 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Where did you find "allen screws" in an Airstream? I don't remember very many in mine. But I'm sure there are some. Most Airstream fasteners are rivets, wood screws, sheet metal screws, and common bolts and nuts. All of which can be a bugger to loosen in a vintage Airstream.

Try a penetrating oil designed to soak into the threads and free up corrosion. Spray some on the offending screw and come back tomorrow. Try to tighten and well as loosen to break the corrosion free. Loosening is most important. Sometimes when I'm upside down I get confused on the direction of rotation for the screw. "Righty tighty, Lefty loosy" applies to most fasteners. A better way is clockwise to tighten, counterclockwise to loosen no matter which way the tool is positioned.

Another way to get fasteners loose is an air powered impact tool. This tool tends to "hammer" the fastener and thus breaking the corrosion bond (rusted tight).

David
Old 10-06-2015, 05:50 AM   #53
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Chattanooga , Tennessee
I don't remember allen screws either, but I needed to drill out most of the fasteners to get them out. The trick is to not use a bit much larger than the shasft of the fastener.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:00 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Isn't drilling out rusted tight bolts that the head snapped off fun? Especially if they are grade 5 or grade 8. I've seen guys blow out rusted fasteners with a plasma cutter.

Lucky for me I had very few I needed to drill out.

David
Old 05-22-2016, 07:22 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tallahasee, Fl , Florida
You're braver than I, don't know if I'd be able to just buy an Airstream unseen as a project! Course I needed one in fairly usable shape since I want to be on the road within the year. But it sounds like you got lucky with all the working parts on this one!
Old 07-07-2017, 01:39 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Chattanooga , Tennessee
To continue... My spring project this year was to completely replace the copper piping under the stove and sink with PEX. So glad I did. Simplified everything in that mess of old tubing. also replaced the 1972 faucet at the same time. Still annually need to seal the 2 fantastic fan installations I put in against leaks. Besides that stuff we will be camping at least 5 weekends this season.

A by the way comment. I am from California, and there we call these rigs trailers. Now being in the South, they are called campers. When I first got here and told people that I had a trailer that I would take to campground they were flabbergasted that I was hauling around what I know as a mobile home. Too funny!