Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1970-79 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2017, 08:05 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Los angeles , California
72 Tradewind - Just purchased and started restoring it

Hello everyone,

Me and my wife just started to restore our new baby 2ft Tradewind. Not in a great condition but we are happy that started this project!
As we have no any experience, we are keep reading and watching videos.
Here is my very first question:

1- We have not tried to plug the trailer to the actual power yet. Do not laugh but i do not know how to do it. I guess tradewind has its plug connection at the back inside the bumper? Can I plug it into regular wall power?

2- I need to test the heater, furnace, A/C and other stuff. Should I fill the clean water tank first to test the furnace and the heater?

Thank you so much
Aras
Spookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
I'm not sure about your electrical, but I believe the chord is located in the back bumper as you suggest. That year should have a 30 amp plug. If you want to plug into a standard 20 amp outlet you need to buy a 30 amp to 20 amp adapter, then you're good to go.

Before you try out your water heater make sure that your hot water tank is full. If it isn't you'll probably burn out the element. To do this either hook up to fresh water or partially fill your fresh water tank and turn on your water pump. Then turn on a hot water faucet until water runs through it. Then you're safe to turn on the hot water heater.
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:10 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Florence , South Carolina
What DryFly said is correct. I have a 1977 Tradewind and there is no external plug on mine. Instead there is a power cord that is stuffed into the rear bumper storage box - mine is black and yours probably is too. Just look in the rear bumper for a thick black cord and plug that in.

I'll also add that yes - it should be a 30 amp plug. You can plug it in to an adaptor and then plug it into a standard household (15/20 amp) outlet.

However - (and this is a big one) - DO NOT USE YOUR AC while it's plugged in to a standard outlet. Doing so will do a few things: 1. Cause your household breaker to blow since the AC can't be operated on a 20 amp circuit. 2. Cause the AC to overheat which is very bad for the longevity of the unit.

In short, it's fine to plug it in, but don't use the AC, even for very short amounts of time. It's not worth it.

If you want to be able to use the AC from home you will need to get a 30 amp outlet installed by an electrician. Make sure they know that it is a "camper" outlet and not a standard dryer outlet that you want.

Best of luck to you - Happy Streaming!
ajcannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:44 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Los angeles , California
Thank you so much, I can't tell how helpful your answers are.
I appreciate.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:45 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Los angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcannon View Post
What DryFly said is correct. I have a 1977 Tradewind and there is no external plug on mine. Instead there is a power cord that is stuffed into the rear bumper storage box - mine is black and yours probably is too. Just look in the rear bumper for a thick black cord and plug that in.

I'll also add that yes - it should be a 30 amp plug. You can plug it in to an adaptor and then plug it into a standard household (15/20 amp) outlet.

However - (and this is a big one) - DO NOT USE YOUR AC while it's plugged in to a standard outlet. Doing so will do a few things: 1. Cause your household breaker to blow since the AC can't be operated on a 20 amp circuit. 2. Cause the AC to overheat which is very bad for the longevity of the unit.

In short, it's fine to plug it in, but don't use the AC, even for very short amounts of time. It's not worth it.

If you want to be able to use the AC from home you will need to get a 30 amp outlet installed by an electrician. Make sure they know that it is a "camper" outlet and not a standard dryer outlet that you want.

Best of luck to you - Happy Streaming!
Thank you so much! I am glad this forum exist and you guys help to each other, I will post more questions in coming days.
Have a nice weekend.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
Your overhead air conditioner uses less then 20amps and will run just fine on a 20 amp circuit. But that is all that you can use, at one time, most laundry plugs and kitchen counter top plugs are 20 amp. If you can't reach the outlet with the camper cord, you should use a #10 wire size extension cord.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:29 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Los angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbs View Post
Your overhead air conditioner uses less then 20amps and will run just fine on a 20 amp circuit. But that is all that you can use, at one time, most laundry plugs and kitchen counter top plugs are 20 amp. If you can't reach the outlet with the camper cord, you should use a #10 wire size extension cord.
Thank you bibbs, ok so I found my plug at the back in the bumper and yes it is not long enough to plug in the wall so I will buy #10 extension cord.
Is this what I need as an adapter? http://airstreamsupply.com/power-cab...roduct_id=1262 So I can plug in to my wall and run the tests of my water heater and furnace?
Thank you
Old 07-07-2017, 01:24 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Chattanooga , Tennessee
might want to check out my thread: '72 TW renovation - How it began & how it has come

labor of love (of projects)