Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1970-79 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McLeod , Texas
'71 Tradewind LY speaker wire location

We have the '72 service manual which gives the wire locations for front and rear speakers. The front location is listed as 12" forward of 1st rib and 47' from floor. The rear location is 162" aft of 1st rib and 50" from floor. We would like to install a radio and cd, but am somewhat hesitant to cut holes in the inside skin to check for the wires. There are 8 wires under the control panel that are not wired up. So i feel like it is wired for speakers, but would like to have some confirmation from someone with a '71 LY twin bed that the speakers are located in those spots.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom
Wooden Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Speaker Wire Location?

Didn't know the Landyachts came with such luxuries. In my 72 TW I put in a Bose System I bought from Sam's. Came with an Onkyo FM/CD receiver that was long like a small shoe box. I put that with a small Plillips DVD plyer in the overhead bin above the fridge next to the bulkhead above the towel rack. The tiny Bose speakers I mounted one on the panel by the door and the other on the opposite side on the panel above the sink. They face the gaucho. I ran the wires behind the cabinets and then under the bottom of the trailer for the streetside speaker and subwoofer. Yes even though the Bose speakers are tiny they come with a rather large subwoofer (but not heavy). I mounted it under the sink next to the heater unit. I can send some pics if you're more interested. It was a pain running the wires undet the trailer but I needed to get up close and personal with the bellypan anyways. But it sounds great.
Speaker on the left top, Amp/Onkyo above 26" Vizio TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0767.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	89460  
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McLeod , Texas
Thanks for your post. I'll bet it does sound really good. I am trying to use existing wiring in the AS walls. My understanding is there is a standard location to mount speakers, and that the wiring is already in the wall. It seems to be there at the control panel in the front. I'm looking for the other end of those wires.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
email tech@airstream.com give them your year, serial number, model etc. I did so on my 69 tradewind a couple years ago, same issue, speaker wire location and received the following a few days later:

We show that on the 1969 25’ T the curbside rear speaker wire can be found in the wall, 14” forward of bed window lever, 50” above floor. I hope this helps.

Tech
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Speaker wire Location?

Let us know what you find and if it works. I've found some of my wiring starts with one color at one point and becomes something totally different at the other such as from the switch for the entrance outside light to the switch.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McLeod , Texas
Thank all who posted. Will cut the holes in the front this weekend. We don't think we want speakers in the bedroom. Will post and let you know how it went.

Tom