Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2011, 12:58 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog
I can make you feel good about the process. Spent over 8K on my Tradewind fixing everything, custom curtains, fridge Axels brakes shocks and Oak paneling only to have her stolen after all was done. All I got left is a 72 Manual and a ball hitch.
I read your stream on that and it actually almost brought me to tears! Man, what would I do if that was to happen? Especially if I haven't insured it yet?! Damn! I hope that someday your 72 will be found and the bugger rots for it!!!! I'm surprised (but not) that the cops haven't set up a sting with the second one being stolen so close.

I'm gonna rig up a battery operated gps something in a hidden compartment during my rebuild. Inspired by your situation. Maybe you can invent and patent a new security measure for RV owners. Or maybe start a service. Get rich off of it and have the dream of a life custom trailer built for you to make it all feel better.

But my guess is that you'll never forget the work you did and the "intimacy" you had with every nook and cranny of the 72.

I feel for ya man!!!

Ed/Breadbug
Breadbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:13 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Thanks Ed for the thoughts, we got her on Valentines day just two years ago. I looked around for another TW and didn't see any as good as ours and didn't want to go through the work to restore again. That's why we bought the 2006 safari. No personal investment just cash. Hopefully my experience can help others.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:56 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
You might want to check out my thread. I think I started the "roll the dent out" procedures you here about on the forums. I also had to reskin my door so I opted to replace my door latch also.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f416...nte-26902.html
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:11 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood
You might want to check out my thread. I think I started the "roll the dent out" procedures you here about on the forums. I also had to reskin my door so I opted to replace my door latch also.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f416...nte-26902.html
Hey there Aerowood. Yes, I have read every entry in your thread. You are on my list of resource reading every night. I have been planning how I can make myself one of those rollers. That handle is the elusive part. Have you decided to market them? Put me on the list, please.

Thanks for checkin out my thread.

I'm gonna be pullin up the shell this weekend I hope, if I can get a structure built to maintain it in place while I work on the frame. I don't do welding (not since high school) so I gotta send the frame out for the mods I want. I haven't even gotten a quote yet for the work. There is a shop in the same parking lot as my business so I can watch them do the job as I make the money to pay for it.

I can't wait to get a roller made/purchased so I can see if I can get a bunch I'd little dings made less noticeable. I've popped out the two big dents but one of them still needs some work with the roller.

Two more days of money making and I can get back to the fun!!!!

Ed/Breadbug
Old 02-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Burnsville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog
I can make you feel good about the process. Spent over 8K on my Tradewind fixing everything, custom curtains, fridge Axels brakes shocks and Oak paneling only to have her stolen after all was done. All I got left is a 72 Manual and a ball hitch.
Oh that is so sad. I hope you have recovered.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
constructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Louisburg , North Carolina
Concerning having your Airstream stolen. Does anyone know how effective the hitch locks are in detering theft? I think I am going to look into a LoJack system.
Does anyone have any experience with having a LoJack system installed in your RV or might there be a thread on the subject?
Mainstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainstream
Concerning having your Airstream stolen. Does anyone know how effective the hitch locks are in detering theft? I think I am going to look into a LoJack system.
Does anyone have any experience with having a LoJack system installed in your RV or might there be a thread on the subject?
RichHog got his hitch lock cut right off. I think they only deter honest people.

Ed/Breadbug
Old 02-12-2011, 10:42 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
As said above the hitch lock came off and no parts were left behind. Beware of a false Sence of security on locks and chains. Haven't bought it yet but there is a GPS tracking system called Smart Tracker I plan on installing on new trailer.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadbug View Post
Have you decided to market them? Put me on the list, please.

Ed/Breadbug
I plan on making two of them and donating them to the FCU Restoration Rally raffle in June. You are not the first to ask if I am going to market them, I just haven't had time to look into it yet. Maybe I should get off my arse and just do it.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
Ok guys, please tell me that the frame will not be buckled after I remove the axles?

I got the grey tank out and the rest of the belly. Ready for some rust removal and the lift the shell. I'm gonna do most of the cleaning of the frame and POR15 with the shell on for now, cuz it's supposed to rain again soon.

That grey tank is sooooo small. I wonder how big a tank I can get to fit back there? I wanna go with two, I think. One for the bath and one for the galley. I'm also thinking I'm gonna go with an above the floor fresh tank in addition to the subfloor one. I'll put it in the traditional under the front gaucho area with a separate pump and valve.

What do ya think?

Ed/Breadbug
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1652787165.png
Views:	117
Size:	1,015.4 KB
ID:	122147   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4124850877.png
Views:	125
Size:	934.6 KB
ID:	122148  

Name:	image-2429034543.png
Views:	124
Size:	951.3 KB
ID:	122149   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3008276798.png
Views:	134
Size:	897.6 KB
ID:	122150  

Name:	image-2349509201.png
Views:	133
Size:	908.0 KB
ID:	122151  
Old 02-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
Spent some time getting the remaining clear coat off today. If I get time, the shell gets lifted tomorrow.

Ed/Breadbug
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1348264543.png
Views:	142
Size:	802.2 KB
ID:	122193  
Old 02-13-2011, 07:25 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadbug
Spent some time getting the remaining clear coat off today. If I get time, the shell gets lifted tomorrow.

Ed/Breadbug
2.5 gallons of Jasco did the entire trailer. We'll see how much it takes to remove the rest of the vinyl from the interior panels.

Ed/Breadbug
Old 02-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #53
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Nice work Ed. I got three new tanks from Ronco plastics. They have a tank that is 25 gallons called the 17H. I ordered them a week ago. Should be shipping tomorrow. Total price for three tanks and shipping was around $550. They fit between the cross members. See my thread here post 56.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
I wanted pictures.. a video would have been much better.. of you hooking up your TV and pulling that plywood. I am disappointed.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB
I wanted pictures.. a video would have been much better.. of you hooking up your TV and pulling that plywood. I am disappointed.
Bummer! It was so easy. I just took a 10foot length of good heavy chain and used screws to attach it to the plywood. Then hooked it up to my TV and slowly pulled. It came right out. Like butter!
Old 02-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb379_2010
Nice work Ed. I got three new tanks from Ronco plastics. They have a tank that is 25 gallons called the 17H. I ordered them a week ago. Should be shipping tomorrow. Total price for three tanks and shipping was around $550. They fit between the cross members. See my thread here post 56.
Perfect!!! Just what I want. I gotta check that out and get to making my order. So cool, thanks.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:53 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
I haven't gotten any work done on the frame this last 2 weekends of rain and cold.

I spent some time today trying to get my final ideas down on paper and do the specs.

I've got a rough idea of what I wanna do floorplan wise. I have to tweak things to work with frame and tanks though.

I want to go with two grey tanks and a bigger black tank in the belly. I'd like to plumb a flush line in for the black tank at least.

I am not sure yet how I'm gonna make things work and drain. I've got to get some "expert" advice from this forum!!!!

Do I plumb the drain lines below the frame if I'm gonna fill the bays above the axles and aft most? I know I can get the rear most tank drained the way the original grey did. Hmmm? How am I gonna route the additional new tanks? What size can I fit in there with my proposed plan?

Any body have any suggestions? My rough sketches are pictured. The toilet and sink are probably gonna switch. ???

Any questions or input is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-86205345.png
Views:	146
Size:	814.0 KB
ID:	122855   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3839389410.png
Views:	181
Size:	960.8 KB
ID:	122856  

Old 02-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #58
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Tanks a lot!

Ed,
So from what I see you are making a rear bath into a rear corner bath. True? Are you planning on keeping the black tank above the floor as the original?
Vintage trailer Supply sells a 15 gallon tank that was designed by Colin Hyde to fit between the frame rails and cross members of Airstreams without hanging down below the belly pan. You could put two of these in tandem at the rear of the trailer and make it work.
As far as how I'm getting mine to drain? I'm going to use gravity!
I have my whole plan in my head. Let's see if I can put it in words. I have all my gray water sources on the curb side so the inlets will go through the floor into the gray tanks under the curbside twin bed. They will both be vented but only one will have a water inlet (maybe). They will be connected together through the drain. The drains of the three Ronco 17H tanks are on the street side. The 1.5" drain will connect to the 3" drain in the bumper compartment at the street side. So both the black and gray drain valves will be in the bumper compartment. (my plan as of this second) All subject to change upon first contact with the enemy.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
OO , OO
Send a message via Skype™ to cruiser54

cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
OO , OO
Send a message via Skype™ to cruiser54
Tank 1
Ballast, because of the balance of the Cruiser
If the water can pump as a reserve to tank 3

Tank 2
Black water

Tank 3
Water

Tank 4
Grey waters, with pump in black water tank to rinse, or with 3-ways valve directly outwardly

The outlet for everything is high outside from ground, I mustn't creep under the Cruiser...
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1975 tradewind