Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1970-79 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2002, 10:21 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1971 Tradewind

Hi all ! Name here is Tom and here is a link to my pride and joy http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch...Tradewind.html .As you can see at one time the previous owners were members of the Michigan Unit which is the state that it still calls home.Hope to hear from other Airstreamers soon ! Tom
71tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 01:40 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Nice trailer!

Hi Tom
Welcome aboard, you trailer is immaculate inside and out. Have you done a lot of work to it? How do you find the Chevy van as a puller?
VAC
https://pages.sprint.ca/Streamsite/main.html
66TradeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 03:37 PM   #3

Hi Tom ;
I am also the owner of a Tradewind 25 - mine is a 1973, polished by P&S and completely renovated by me. I live in Branch County, MI and am very active in WBCCI - would like to see your coach and discuss renovations sometime.
Bob
rpconnors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 07:17 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Hello Terry and Bob! Terry i have done a lot of work maintaining the coach but not much in the way of renovations.I did howerver have to repair the floor under the camode, which required removing the entire bath "everything from the last bulk head back had to be removed" bad thing there was the bathroom was the first thing to be installed at the factory.Its very difficult to do without breaking parts but I managedto do it. As far as my van goes, its just fine for flat land travel but i dont think i would handle mountians very well.Have to say i love the 20 MPG when its not towing.When i am towing it gets around 10 to 11 MPG. Now on to Bob ! I am also in the WBCCI , Metro Detriot Unit !And the VAC! Are you going to be at the Region 4 Rally this spring? I still havent decided weather or not we will be attending.Our shakedown rally is coming up next month it will be at New Hudson Mi.I will more than likely be there .Is your unit having a rally soon ? I would like to see your coach also! Polishing is still in my dreaming stages of work to be done.Perhaps seeing yours will give me the proper motivation to in on mine.
Old 05-07-2002, 06:35 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Redmond , Oregon
Hi Tom,
Recently purchased a '72 Tradewind myself. Wanted to let you know that the photo's that you had posted on the other site helped me in my decision to buy a Tradewind. I had the delema of a larger (w/o the wet bath) trailer that I could not get to where I wanted to go or a smaller one (including the bath) that I could get into the places I like to go, boondocking etc. The one that I found had sat for 10 years, was green and REAL dirty. Going to be an uphill battle getting the ole girl back in shape.

Les Brush
Central Oregon
igor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 09:18 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Les, I'm glad that my photos aided you in your search,believe it or not whenI found my A/S it was also completely covered with what appeared to be some sort of green mold.Hard to believe that ,that was 4 years ago,seems like just yesterday!I hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours as I have mine.For me working on it is as much fun as using it. If I can aid you in any way please feel free to contact me ! Tom
Old 05-08-2002, 03:29 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Redmond , Oregon
Green slime

Tom, I put two photos of my trailier on this web site. These were two of the photographs that were sent to me by friends of mine when they found the trailer. I fell in love with it at first glance. I will post more whenever I buy a digital camera - don't want to rush into anything, afterall, it took me 25 years to get my amateur radio license (c: Mine is configured a little different inside than yours, front dinette, two opposing couches in the bedroom. I really like the wheel covers on yours, did you install or did it come with them? Still working on what to call mine, somehow 'green wheenie' or 'slimer' just does not seem socially acceptable. See ya, Les.
Old 05-09-2002, 07:49 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Les, aside from being a little green your new A/S looks great, one thing I would advise you to get is a stone shield for your front glass.It would truly be a tragedy to lose one of your curved windows.The hub caps on mine were my addition, it originaly cam with dog dish or"baby moons" which ever you wish to call them! The rims were black, I painted them silver kept the dog dishes and added beauty rings from a GMC truck . That combination looked good also! I will try to find some photos when it had that setup.As for your dinette in the front I would rather have that ,it just seems more practical.Cant wait to see more photos of your A/S! Tom
Old 05-10-2002, 01:37 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Redmond , Oregon
Tom, thanks for the advise on the rock shield. The list keeps getting longer for things I want to do to this thing. Rock shield, awning (hmmm - I know of a real nice one on a 71 in Mich .... ooops forgot for an instant what I do for a living), cutains (I have the see through variety), aluminum LPG tanks, really leaning toward aluminum wheels as well. Mine only has carpet in the BR, might have to do the front as well. Then there is the tow rig, at 200k plus on the odometer it is fill the oil and check the gas. About time to freshen the ole engine in it. Shure glad I can work on these things! I do need to scare up an outside door handle, not the entire lock assembly, just the handle, got a little energetic opening the door! Real neat our trailers are hanging out next to one another on the picture page, hadnt seen those two views of yours, it is a fine looking machine! Keep looking around campgrounds, sooner or later you will see one with an Oregon plate on it. Maybe we both should have kept and bottled our green slime, probably would have been the cure for cancer! Les
Old 05-12-2002, 08:23 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Les, if I come across a shield i'll let you know ! you may end up having to have one fabricated ,just make sure that the plastic is polycarbonate ie. "lexan".If you need any detailed drawings or photos let me know. the assembly is fairly simple and should not be difficult to have made. Have you considered joining the WBCCI , if not you may want to, the rallies great ! Then of course there is the Vintage club which I also belong to. The Vintage club sends out a quarterly Magazine/Newsletter which is full of all kinds of good Info. Tom
Old 05-19-2002, 05:08 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Redmond , Oregon
Tom, Inland RV in California has new rock shields. Shipping is a third of the cost of the shield though.

Where did you get the domed full wheel covers shown in your photographs? I have seen some which look like them in racing parts catalog I have. How do they attach? My wheels are in real poor shape and was thinking of replacing them with aftermarket trailer 3000+ lb rated trailer wheels but they are REAL ugly, but allot cheaper than original wheels. Would consider it if I could cover them up.

Bob, do you have any photo's of your Trade Wind. I would love to see one that is polished!

Hope you all had a good weekend.

Trade Winds forever!

Les
Old 06-08-2002, 06:43 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Les sorry I've been away from the post for awhile the wheel covers that are on my rig (or should I say "was") I lost one! Came from Jc Whitney the ones that I have (3 of them LOL) are these http://www.jcwhitney.com/item.jhtml?ITEMID=5933&BQ=jcw2 But I think I'm goin to replace them with these http://www.jcwhitney.com/item.jhtml?ITEMID=5916&BQ=jcw2 The later link are the type you have to screw into the bead area of the rim .And yes they are a pain but are much safer both to others in traffic and your rig .I just hope nobody got hit by my flying disc . Ahhh one other thing the later type are alum the 1st link is stainless steel ,I think the alum will be a better match. Hope your enjoying your new rig as much as I'm enjoying mine! Oh I almost forgot we had a vintage ralley at the region 4 Ralley last weekend ,Had a great time ! Good luck on your wheel buying adventure hope I'm not to late to be of help. Tom
Old 06-08-2002, 01:17 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Rear Bath Redoo

Did you replace the aluminium strips when you replaced the bath? If you did, where did you find the plastic pieces that go into the strips? The RV dealers here all have vinyl strips but they are too small for the A/S channels.

Thanks, Brian
74Tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 08:49 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Brian welcome! I did not have to replace anything I was very careful in the disassembly the only part that was damaged was the hamper wall behind the camode and that was the result of the floor sagging over the years notfrom disassembly.As far as replaceing the strips you might try Andy at Inland Rv .Good luck! Tom
Old 08-07-2002, 10:31 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Redmond , Oregon
Posted photograph

Hi Tom and gang,
I had a roll of 35mm converted to digital and posted a pic of my '72 after first cleaning, with new tires ready for the trip home. Have not done much else except cleaning, as I am in my buisy time at work. Hope you are a 'streamin' well. Best wishes - Les