Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2016, 07:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
San Diego , California
My new 1960 Safari

Hi
I just purchased my Safari and am looking to maintain as much of the original design as possible. It has most of the original interior and is in overall great condition.

The entire interior had been painted several times and I have started there with removing all of the drawers and cabinet doors to strip and stain. I have also tried stripping an area over the dinette to see how it may strip so I could bring it down to the aluminum. I have been using using a gel stripper and it is working but slow going. I am wondering if anyone had tried using a heat gun to remove the paint on the aluminum? I would welcome advise.

I am also wanting to polish the outside but not to a mirror finish. Any thoughts on that, or where in the forums to look.

Thanks in advance!
Mary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160108_120024.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	256277   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160116_110346.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	524.3 KB
ID:	256278  

safaritime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 02:57 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
My new 1960 Safari

You'll likely find, as many others have, that stripping paint is one of the messiest and least fun tasks you'll have with your Airstream. Like many others, I used Citristrip gel and it does do the job but still takes a lot of scrubbing. Here are my suggestions if you decide to keep using it:

You want the surface to be warm, or the stripping agent won't activate properly. If it's a hot dry day though, the stuff will dry out too quickly and be tough to remove. To help with this, run pieces of Saran Wrap over the surface after brushing stripper onto a section. Easy to apply with two people.

Some use of the heat gun will help speed up the process if the surface is cold.

For removal, as you pull off sections of Saran Wrap use plastic razor blades. There's a company that sells them online, or you can find them at Ace Hardware. There will still be plenty of scrubbing required.

I went through a lot of $ in Citristrip and many hours of labor. My interior was out and was in the process of a shell off...so if I could go back I'd look at some of the aviation grade strippers, and an appropriate respirator for the job as well. I'm just getting geared up to start polishing, but my understanding is that if you do polish to a perfect shine it will become less than perfect in no time. Use the search function on this site and you'll find an answer for just about anything. Nice looking rig! Congrats and welcome!
54fuselage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags