Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Ambassador > 1959 - 1965 Ambassador
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1959 28' Ambassador
Carmi , Illinois
Recently purchased 1959 28' Ambassador

Just picked up our new toy today. It is in fair condition. The exterior is in rather good condition while the interior is in need of a renovation. We are new to the Airstream ownership, but it is something we have wanted to do for a long time. We planning on renovating the trailer this fall/winter and I am sure I will have tons of questions. Are there other '59 Amabassador owners on here that I can pester...I mean ask questions. One of my first questions is, how rare or obscure is my particular trailer? I understand the serial #. Mine being 289011. Are there many left? Do I have a relativley low # in the known trailers on the road? Just curious more than anything. I find the history fascinating. Thanks in advance.
JBigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Pella , Iowa
I just purchased a 78 Ambassador and would love to see some pics of your 59.
denmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1959 28' Ambassador
Carmi , Illinois
Will try to post some soon.
JBigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:45 PM   #4

1959 28' Ambassador
nisswa , Minnesota
New to forum, I have a 59 -28ft ambassador. Vin #289075. Sounds pretty close to yours. I am restoring it right down to the frame with the shell off. I am working now on repairing the frame, before I paint it. I have pics of my tear down if you are interested. How is your renovation going?
jimmartinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:01 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Burnsville , North Carolina
How cool, we just found I280120T. We think it is the 1959 International model built in California, it has twin beds. Skin in nice shape, interior a mess. Most likely a shell off remodel.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
constructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome to Airsteamming. There are a lot of folks who love their Ambassadors. Many of them are renovated and back traveling the country. Enjoy it. You gotta order Tim Sheppard's book "Restoring A Dream". It's all about a 1960 Ambassador. Tim is the creator of the Vintage Airstream Podcast (VAP). He and Colin Hyde do a great job with it. It's all about old Airstreams.

It appears your serial number is an early 59, maybe the 11th one made. You can take it from fair condition to excellent condition with many hours and dollars. But I told my wife that we are likely to get our money back when we sell or Trade Wind. You know what I mean when you were searching for your trailer. The ones that are renovated can be up to $20,000 easily. The ones that are professionally restored are worth much more than that.

Get ready to enjoy a big project.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #7

1959 28' Ambassador
nisswa , Minnesota
59 ambassador

thank you so much for the info. I was flying solo on this project. I just sent for the book "restoring a dream". Looking forward to reading it. Also, I did not know about the podcast that he has. Found it. I now will have a great wealth of research before me. Thank you again! Jim Martinson
jimmartinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
You ain't solo anymore! There's about 10,000 of us Airstream crazies that participate on these Forums. Ask a question, and you'll likely get 50 answers. The fun is deciding which one is right for you.

The vintage Airstream hobby is a lot of fun, challenging and rewarding. Traveling with your Airstream is even more fun. It's all fun, other than having a tree fall on your trailer, or driving into a hail storm, or a tire blow out that rips out your bedroom.

My old Trade Wind is slowly getting ready for the road again.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1406 Z Home At Last.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	387.9 KB
ID:	224927  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags