Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Ambassador > 1959 - 1965 Ambassador
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2019, 08:27 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Beebe , Arkansas
Looking at a 62 ambassador LandYacht

What’s the going price for one that has panels all in good shape and is unmolested but has been sitting for years, has broken rear glass and untested water and electric? I fully expect she will need extensive work
MarinePT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Not attempting to have this be a smug answer at all.

The going price is what you are willing to pay and they are willing to sell it for considering the work that it will need. Unless it's the other way around and you were trying to sell it.

A good place to look is in the classified section here and on a couple of other Airstream sale sites. the vintage models are very popular right now being used for travel, Airbnb, food trucks Etc. sometimes people will just slap a price tag on to see what they can get.

With these vintage trailers the prices are all over the board. If a trailer has had extensive work done it's a little easier to figure out because you can do the math and know what some of the parts pieces and work costs.

Another big factor to consider is how handy are you? Will you be doing most of the work or are you going to have to work done by an outside source thereby paying shop hours.

You can start by thinking it will automatically need tires, bearing work just to get it out of there. New axles will run you a couple thousand, does the electric need to be updated, does the plumbing need to be updated.

When was the last time it was actually towed, plugged in and the systems inside worked.

If the exterior body looks good that means that you will likely not have to replace any aluminum. You will likely not be able to see the frame because it sits beneath the belly pan you won't know if that needs to be repaired or replaced until you take the belly pan off or the floor off. The next big thing is to look for floor damage. Small soft spots can be repaired but if it's a lot of area sometimes people do an entire new floor.

Sorry for the long non answer.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:07 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Beebe , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Not attempting to have this be a smug answer at all.

The going price is what you are willing to pay and they are willing to sell it for considering the work that it will need. Unless it's the other way around and you were trying to sell it.

A good place to look is in the classified section here and on a couple of other Airstream sale sites. the vintage models are very popular right now being used for travel, Airbnb, food trucks Etc. sometimes people will just slap a price tag on to see what they can get.

With these vintage trailers the prices are all over the board. If a trailer has had extensive work done it's a little easier to figure out because you can do the math and know what some of the parts pieces and work costs.

Another big factor to consider is how handy are you? Will you be doing most of the work or are you going to have to work done by an outside source thereby paying shop hours.

You can start by thinking it will automatically need tires, bearing work just to get it out of there. New axles will run you a couple thousand, does the electric need to be updated, does the plumbing need to be updated.

When was the last time it was actually towed, plugged in and the systems inside worked.

If the exterior body looks good that means that you will likely not have to replace any aluminum. You will likely not be able to see the frame because it sits beneath the belly pan you won't know if that needs to be repaired or replaced until you take the belly pan off or the floor off. The next big thing is to look for floor damage. Small soft spots can be repaired but if it's a lot of area sometimes people do an entire new floor.

Sorry for the long non answer.
That wasn’t smug at all and I appreciate the long answer.

I will be able to do the work myself. It just might be more work than I’m wanting to do. I do know that the exterior looks great so there are no panels to replace except for one small dent that I could live with.

The rear window being broken is what bothers me. If it wasn’t covered or sealed I’m guessing a lot of damage has been done to that part of the trailer.

They are asking 6500 which I think is way overpriced but once I see it in person I’m sure I could get them down.

Thank you for your reply
Old 05-23-2019, 09:34 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
St Petersburg , FL
Land Yacht

If you are close by I believe that would be worth at least a drive by. Trailers of that vintage with unmolested/clean interiors are tough to come by and the body looks nice, although I wonder what the vertical exterior pipe situation is up front. The fact that the rear bath countertop laminate isn't toast tells me that water intrusion may not have been that bad, but as usual proceed w/caution.
Al Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
If the aluminum surround for the window is still there the window portion of it will be an easy fix as in 62 that should be flat glass.

You are correct in thinking that could have been a lot of exposure to the elements over the time.

And the bathrooms tend to be a spot of soft floor anyway.

I agree if it's not too far away it might be worth looking at especially if they're not expecting to get 6500 and willing to take less.

I think somebody on the other thread also mentioned a 62 would not have great tanks so that would be something else to consider. Seems all of the big things for the trailers run $1,000 :-)

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:25 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Beebe , Arkansas
I’ll go look at it, take pics and see what you all think
Old 05-24-2019, 09:22 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Beebe , Arkansas
It sold before I got there
Old 05-24-2019, 09:31 AM   #8
CC

1972 27' Overlander
Heinsburg , AB
Awe, now that seems a pity, but I always think things like this are meant to be. Your dream airstream will come along.
CC
Camper Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:36 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Valencia , California
Marine PT if your still looking

Hi I read your post this morning about your 62 trade wind find, and then it was sold when you went back for it. Sorry to hear that but depending on what your looking for I’m just getting ready to put our 61’ tradewind land yacht on the market let me know if your interested and I can send photos and more descriptions she is a beauty, we purchased her from someone else who loved her a lot and did all the work on restoring her, she’s worth a look
We are selling her because we purchased a 85 345 LE motorhome
I can also give you my email or cell phone if that’s easier
silvercutie is offline   Reply With Quote