Old 07-01-2010, 09:49 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hi Ambie, 2 questions if I may ask.

1. How much did you spend on the prodex insulation?

2. You plan on running all of the new wiring between the inner skin and the inside layer of prodex? Is there room? It kinda looks like the inside layer of prodex is pretty much flush with the ribs.

Your work sure looks great! Keep it up!

Thanks,
Chris

Old 07-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambie '64 View Post
I learned so much from the real restorers and it gave me the impetus to charge forward on this project.
I was just looking over some of your recent posts this morning and got a laugh out of this comment. You are most certainly a real restorer at this point. How about an update on your progress? It sure was looking good a couple weeks ago.
Norm

Old 07-03-2010, 11:22 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Thanks Norm, it's been a slow process. Chris, the Prodex totalled $330 (approx.) The styrofoam and glue ran about another $250 to do the belly and the walls. There is a 3/8 inch space between the interior skin and the interior layer of Prodex. At places where I know a group of wires will be passsing through a rib, I notched the styrofoam to give me some more breathing room.

Norm, as for an update, I got all the new running lights and the new scare light back in place and riveted the front nameplate on. I will gutter seal the inside of all the screws and rivets. I had mounted the marker lights in Trempro (almost as bad as the gutter seal) using #10 x 3/4'' aluminum sheet metal screws. At some future date, I'll be switching to LED's, but for now, they'll have to do. Next is running the wires for the marker and brake lights. Unfortunately, it's so hot outside that if you brush up against the trailer, you'll be losing about three layers of skin.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Sounds like you are making good progress despite the weather (we are having a typical 4th of July weekend with temps in the low 60's and overcast skys - summer should start on Monday . I used a lot of Trempro while mounting various lights, patches, etc. That stuff sure makes a mess.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:15 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
A lot has been happening around here. We sold our house and are moving back to Okla. City after spending 25 years in Az. So, with the Airstream in mid-renovation, we endeavored to get it roadworthy to make the trip to a new home. All the interior skins had to be placed temporarily and the exterior lights, plate, insurance, etc. had to be ready. We had to load all the old equipment, cabinets, and various objects with the trailer to make the journey. This is not the template for a successful project, but as circumstances change, you adjust accordingly.

We took off on Sat. headed for a familiar haunt called Enchanted Trails outside of Albuquerque, NM. The trailer obeyed like an old mare being led to the barn. We arrived that evening and got a great deal on a space for the night (the manager remembered me from the resto-rally two years ago). My first night sleeping in the trailer after five years of owning it was spent there, on the floor, in a sleeping bag. It would have helped if Iíd picked up all the pop rivet nails, but once the road motion got out of my head, the sleep was welcome respite. I had a window open to let the cool breeze blow in (well, the window was opened by a gale-force squall that hit the trailer outside of Gallop and shattered all over the parking lot). Had it not been for the miracles of duct tape and baling wire, the trailer would have been the story of childhood memories passing by an object that actually waved back. Lesson for all who plan on doing this: Make sure your window gears arenít so stripped that they canít properly hold and take all tools and materials you can think of to combat the road.

The trailer is now back where it came from on a farm outside of OKC. Iíll store it until we find a place to continue the work. The flat bed F-350 gave it a parting love tap on the street front section which now needs to be replaced, but itís resting secure and waiting for more attention.

The pics show the start of the journey and a milestone of achievement in front of the trailer park.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A-S 8-10-10 001.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	108700   Click image for larger version

Name:	A-S 8-10-10 002.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	108701  

Name:	A-S 8-10-10 003.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	108702   Click image for larger version

Name:	A-S 8-10-10 004.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	108703  

Old 08-13-2010, 04:12 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Seems like you have got your plate full right now, must be hard to move after all that time in AZ. Your windows are like the ones on my tradewind and at least the glass is easy to replace. If you need parts there is a member selling some in the classified section and the operator/gear can be purchased from Blaine window.

Kevin
Old 08-13-2010, 05:34 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
You got her on the road!This great Dar that you are now in OK.You will have to drive across the Red River to visit me and Mr. Melody Ranch.We're both close to Gainesville about 2hrs. from you.She looks great!
Old 08-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Thanks for the info, Kevin. I'll be fixing the windows soon (I hope). Steve, my Mom lives about a mile from the Red River. We've got to get together and brainstorm our restos.

Here's a shot of where the Silver Tuna will be holed up as soon as we close on the property. The barn is 38 x 48 with 4 overhead doors and a concrete floor. It's the main reason we bought it, but then, we do a lot for our Airstreams, don't we?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Barn.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	109038  
Old 11-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
And the hits just keep on comin' I can't believe it's been so long since I last updated this blog. As the following photos tell a portion of the story, the best laid plans (and all that hoopla). We were two days from closing on the property when an ill wind-fed prairie fire laid waste to the structures. What I thought would be a great place to continue rebuilding the Airstream became a giant hurdle. Two good things: 1) The Airstream wasn't in the barn 2) All of our household furnishings weren't there either.

Now, I have to rebuild the barn so I can rebuild the Airstream to live in until I can build a home. We're talking a few more years before I can take a breath...and I'm getting old and cranky.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	The barn.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	115062   Click image for larger version

Name:	The house.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	115063  

Old 11-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Oh my, what a shame! Hope you got a discount.....

Kay
Old 11-12-2010, 08:15 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Dar So Sorry!
At least you won't have to hire an architect.Let me know if you are contracting and building the barn yourself I can probably give you about 3 days or so of labor if you need help.Steve
Old 11-30-2010, 08:23 AM   #68
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
This is unbelievable! What is on the agenda now? Still going to pursue acquiring this piece of property? I know the out building were what interested you the most and now they are gone. What lies ahead?

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Gee, where goes the time? I write to apologize for not updating my Airstream friends regarding our project. As with everything, weíve been forced into Plans B, C, and D. Most of the time has been spent moving the trailer around from storage spot to spot. We rented a storage building for all our stuff for the last year and a half while we stayed w/ Krisí b-i-l in the house they inherited from the parents. Kris stumbled upon a little restored bungalow in June and we moved in. We were finally able to move our stuff out of the warehouse. That took 3 months doing it on weekends. The last 2 items to relocate were my smoker and the Silver Tuna. As you can see, thereís not much room to work around the trailer, but itís a good place to keep it for the winter.

The next order of business is to pull it forward and remove the interior skins (again) so we can install plumbing and wiringÖbut weíll wait for Spring.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A-S 001 (Small).jpg
Views:	64
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	173274   Click image for larger version

Name:	A-S 002 (Small).jpg
Views:	62
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	173275  

Old 11-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #70
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
So good to hear from you. I was just think of you and Kris yesterday and was going to try and figure out a way of contacting you if only posting to this thread. Glad things are heading in the right direction.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1964 ambassador