Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Ambassador > 1959 - 1965 Ambassador
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2017, 08:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
Swannanoa , North Carolina
1962 Ambassador

Hard to believe but there is a stunning '62 Ambassador parked in my back yard.

The seed was planted a week ago and I looked at a 90's 31' first locally, then drove 500 miles with my tow rig and picked this '62 up. I skipped everything else, all the major projects, the newer models. Once I saw this older model, with most of the original appointments, I knew it was for me. It is amazing how original this thing is and how great thr condition is. There isn't a dent on the thing, just needs polishing. The floors are solid, I read that book before I purchased and researched here a lot and was able to look carefully for issues.

The projects are all pretty straightforward. Gaskets. Glazing. Seals.

I still cannot believe I just hooked on to a 55 year old trailer and made it home 550 miles with no issues. The brakes worked well and all the lights worked after some additional grounding. I stopped frequently and used my IR thermometer and checked things over. It swayed at times and I'll admit downtown Atlanta on 85 was white knuckle. It was my gnarliest trailering to date. I have tens of thousands of loaded miles hauling cattle, farm equip, and boats. Getting passed by tractor trailers on either side at very high speeds was seriously rough. I'd get some kind of sway control if I tow it more. Otherwise it pulled very nicely. Axles, bearings, and brakes were good. Here's a photo. Don't have any of inside, I'll take some in the daylight. Feeling very lucky to have found an affordable vintage airstream to adopt. I could really take this thing camping now with a few additions and I really should. But I'll take a little time with it first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1038.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	282082  
Cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Beautiful!!!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Very nice, we have the same one. Be excited to see the interior.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:52 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
Finally getting around to posting some pics of interior. I think it is mostly original. We haven’t given it any time this last year, but my wife recently gave it a good cleaning inside and I snapped a few shots in low light last night. if I don’t get pics up now I may never, and the sun has been scarce here lately. I’ll try to post better ones later.

This was originally painted by the Martin’s of Green Bay, WI. Looks like they went to Bemidji gathering in 1963

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2018, 09:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
That looks nice, original and very clean. Looks camp worthy.

Sent from my XT1254 using Airstream Forums mobile app

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:51 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
That looks nice, original and very clean. Looks camp worthy.

Sent from my XT1254 using Airstream Forums mobile app

Hi, thanks Hittenstiehl. I should mention the PO painted the baby blue up front. I’ll work towards a zolatone finish throughout, but not a big priority. I do wish they’d left it..... Also the fridge is a kenmore add on.

I also removed the fold-up upper bunks. Our kids are 19 and 23 so we won’t get much use directly, but good to have the option, they come out easily. It’s stained oak I’m pretty sure, all the wood.

My wife is leading the charge on the Airstream, I’m renovating the house. I do need to make a decision on what sealant to use on gutters and other places I’d like to give attention. It’s dry on the inside, but no certainty on what’s happening behind the walls. I’m gonna seal it up like a boat.

Just wanted to post above photos as a reference, since these will be archived forever. Hopefully helpful or interesting to someone.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2019, 12:13 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
1962 28' Ambassador
Williston , Vermont
I know this thread is over a year old, but I would love to know the status of this trailer. I just purchased a '62 Ambassador double bed version. Although mine looks like it might have spent some time underwater, the interior wood is that bad. I haven't started a build thread yet as I won't start restoration until Spring. I just finished the rebuild of our Safari in September.

I am planning to turn it into a twin bed version, like yours and would love pictures and especially measurements of the bedroom. If you still have it and would be amenable, please let me know.

Wish I was starting with your trailer. - Thanks Mark
Old 11-21-2019, 07:09 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
Hi Mark, happy to help. I’ll take some photos/measurements with your request in mind when I get a chance.

Congrats on your ambassador, that should be a rewarding project.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:46 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
1962 28' Ambassador
Williston , Vermont
Measurements

Great, thanks that will really help. I am looking at rebuilding all of the furniture, so I might as well do it in the configuration I want.

There are really only four measurements that I need, the rest I can guess. This diagram is close to our trailers, but not exactly right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	twinMeasurements.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	356635

I was going to message this to you, but I think it would be good to get it into the public record. Thanks again - Mark

Tags