Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Fort Wayne , Indiana
We can't locate the original vin# on our 1966 Tradewind

I am trying to find out what the original vin# is for our 1966 Trade Wind. Apparently the state of Colorado reissued a vin# to the trailer around the time the previous owner had purchased it in 2007. There is no original vin located anywhere on the trailer. We purchased the trailer from a man in New Mexico on 10/30, and towed it home to Southern California. We then took the trailer to the California DMV for inspection so that we could title and register it in our name, but they of course referred us to the CHP for vin verification. The trailer has a metal plate located on the frame with the reissued vin from CO. The CHP stated they would do some research, and would like us to also try to research to find out what the original vin# was. There are concerns as to whether the trailer may have possibly been stolen in the past and therefore the original vin may have been removed, as it cannot be located. The CHP is checking into this, but if it was stolen years ago, I don't know that we would find records of theft, unless we find the original vin#. The title from New Mexico lists the reissued vin#, the year of the trailer as a 2007 (the year it was issued the new vin), and the make as 'HMD' which stands for homemade. The CHP officer said that since the trailer does not have an original Airstream vin#, Colorado could not list the make as an Airstream, or list the actual model year. There is evidence of a WBCCI #16077 that was once on the trailer. I contacted the WBCCI, who stated that #16077 is not currently being used. They also said they wouldn't be able to find info on the trailer that would help us with our research. I located a TCA registration #2068152 for electrical, plumbing, & heating inspection, and wondered if I could research info through that number. I called Airstream and talked with someone, but he didn't have any way to track that TCA registration number. I'm not sure there is much else that I can do to find out what the original vin# is. It seems that once the CHP sees that we have exhausted all of our efforts and cannot verify the original vin, or whether it was reported stolen, they will allow us to title and register the trailer here in California. In that case the title will not reflect the proper year, make, or model. If anyone has any information that would help us to verify the original vin# through researching the WBCCI # or TCA registration# it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Adams Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You mean the trailer doesn't have the tag by the door that says "AIRSTREAM Tradewind"? That's one of two spots for the serial number. The other is on the A frame.
You can also look in the closets to see if the copy of the lifetime warranty is attached there. It will list the original owner's name and the serial number.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Unless someone has changed the tongue or ground the VIN off of it, you should be able to find the original VIN on the bottom of the tongue channel, stamped into the metal there. It may be hard to find if painted over many times, and also if very rusted, but usually with a wire brush or brush wheel on a drill you can locate it.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Fort Wayne , Indiana
Smile

The trailer does have the Airstream Trade Wind plate by the door, but it looks as if someone used a tool to scrape the number off. We've looked on the A frame, but didn't see a number. The California Highway Patrol sanded paint off of the A frame looking for a vin number, but didn't find one. I'll look through the closets to see if I can find warranty paperwork and a serial number. I'm not sure what part the tongue channel is. I'll try looking around the tongue. Thanks to you both for the info.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Your VIN will be in the format in lines 2 or 3 here. It should be about 8 characters long, not counting any spaces.

Lift-lock brackets of a weight distribution setup may cover the VIN. Does it look like modifications have ever been made to the gas tank seats? The A-frame might be a box beam only; I've seen channel used on Minuet frames. I've seen VINs on the curbside top and the side of the A-frame too.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
California is your problem. Colorado has an established...and recognized program of reassigning registration numbers. That is the metal plate you mentioned. It should have been riveted to the Airstream. It is just a substitute VIN. Your paperwork should still say Airstream and use that new CO number. I have a vehicle now done the same way.....but registered here in Texas now.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:16 AM   #7
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
On your 66 the serial number was stamped into the frame for sure. I will look at the 66 Safari in the yard right now and find out where it is.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:56 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Fort Wayne , Indiana
Unfortunately, when Colorado issued the new vin# they did not put Airstream as the make. It says 'HMD' which apparently stands for homemade. I will try to attach a photo of the Airstream name plate so you can see that some how the number has been scraped off. I don't know how to tell if the tongue has been changed, but it looks old. I looked through all of the cabinets and didn't find any paperwork with warranty info, owner's name, or serial number. Thanks again to everyone for the info.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #9

1965 17' Caravel
1968 20' Globetrotter
leclaire , Iowa
We can't locate the original vin# on our 1966 Trade Wind

Hello!
My 1970 Club directory lists #16077 as belonging to:
Clive and Cathrine Nicely
2235 Shannon Way
Mesa Az. 85205-53
Maybe you could use this information in some manner.
Best of luck!
Smokeater 425
smokeater425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:55 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Fort Wayne , Indiana
Thank you for the info from the 1970 Club directory! We will certainly be doing some research to see if we can get some history and hopefully a vin number for our trailer.

Thanks again!

Tags