Old 07-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Post Vintage Fusion - the story of our '69 AS Remodel

Hi there - over the past few years I've been posting photos of our AS renovation. My husband and I rescued a '69 Tradewind that had floated in the Vernonia OR flood and then sat mildewing for approx 8 months. In our innocence we thought it would be a simple "clean up and go" process...HA!!...so not the case. We've spent 2 1/2 years, considerable manhours and....I won't even speak to the $$....are finally nearly the grand unveiling of our beloved AS whom we've named Vintage Fusion. Her interior brings design cues from the mid-century and blends those with the modern aesthetics that my husband and I love.

Recent posted photos show the interior build as designed and constructed by our fantastic contractor Greg Simons, buildesign. The attached link is to his website and includes a link to his work on our AS.

They include the kitchen cabinetry, countertop, "bedpod" which has replaced the rear bathroom and work on the overhead cabinet....stay tuned for final installation photos of this masterpiece this weekend!!!

Feel free to ask questions, post comments, etc.

Mona

Old 07-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Are the plastic end caps just painted silver? It turned out really great! There's no mistaking the quality of work being done in the photos. Makes the new CCD interiors look junky. Good to see that you could save her from the scrap yard and end up with such an impressive Airstream.

AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:10 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Hey fellow Tradewind owner....and future restorer .....thank you so much for the very kind feedback on our restoration. I fell in love with the Design Within Reach AS so we have used that as inspiration when designing something more Design Within OUR Reach.

I've added so many new words to my vocabulary over the past few years: pop rivets, zylocote, belly pan.....but I'm not sure if I'll be able to answer your question re: the plastic end caps. We completely gutted her, had new interior skins refabricated for the bottom half of the walls and painted the top half with an amazing paint from Modern Masters (after a ton of mold remediation). There's not really any plastic left inside, with the exception of the sanded acrylic cabinet doors......the trim around the cabinets and floor is actually formed, very thin strips of aluminum applied to the wood - same with the amazing curved wall separating the kitchen from the bathroom.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:33 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Post Recent Photo Uploads

For those of you following this thread (thanks btw!) I just uploaded some new photos you might enjoy.

Stopped by the trailer yesterday afternoon to see the latest progress - hubby and our contractor/designer were there working well past midnight most of last week so I couldn't wait to see their accomplishment. As I stepped into the the trailer, actually as I peered in the door before even stepping into the trailer, the vision before me actually brought tears to my eyes - the absolutely amazing overhead cabinets, and the equally amazing countertops were installed

Countertops are a product called Avonite...a solid-surface acrylic product which is heat and water resistant - once I found the sample at IKEA nothing else could come close

The overhead cabinet above the kitchen sink is a work of art: beautifully curved wood, sanded acrylic shelves and sliding doors with thin LED light strips embedded inside the cabinet and underneath - the interior glows from within while the light shining on the countertop is perfect for food prep or simply mood lighting!

On a few of the pics you can actually see the sanded acrylic doors separating kitchen from bathroom, as well as the curved aluminum piece I referenced above. The acrylic is a perfect way to bring light into the space yet still provide privacy - you'll see it in our "bedpod" photos which I'll post shortly

An ?? please feel free to ask.....it's been an amazing experience!
M

The cabinet paint is actually a dark Espresso Bean brown...the light from the flash sometimes make it look a little funky
Old 07-05-2010, 10:55 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Post Photo Uploads 7-5-10

Thought of the day "I LOVE MY AIRSTREAM"

Uploaded a few photos today of our renovation:
  • the back "bedpod"....artist formerly known as the stinky moldy old bathroom
  • cabinets, complete with acrylic sliders, were constructed to serve as headboard and align with the existing overhead storage compartments which we kept from the old bathroom layout
  • freshly installed cabinet handles...images are of the storage under the bar counter
  • one of my favorite things....two-sided acrylic sliders between bathroom / kitchen
My husband Doug and I truly hope you're enjoying the evolution of our AS as much as we are

Mona
Old 07-08-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Post At This Point.....Why Not?

After removing the rear belly pan (oh yes, a bunch of the Vernonia Flood gunk fell out!...the smell brought back memories from a few years ago)...my crafty husband decided to replace it with diamond-plate aluminum.

Oh yes, I said diamond plate - why not have a textured butt-end on the off-chance that someone gets on their hands and knees to look underneath the trailer?

Seriously, at this point why not? Just spent some quality time reading threads where people were questioning the purchase price of their first AS (whatever it is...if you feel a connection go for it!!! btw ours was $3200), saw some beautiful restorations (uhhhh 2+ years and lots more $$$ for us), felt a connection with someone who was covertly looking for their second trailer without telling hubby (I so just did that with a 1950 Clipper) and came to the realization that it's totally okay for my husband to want a diamond-plate belly pan - at this point, why not?
Old 07-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Post The Punch List

It's an enlightening experience to go back and review those old punch lists. They began with such optimism (okay, maybe it could be called "denial"). As the restoration of our AS evolved, the punch lists became more detailed - clicking down a level or two...or five - from those initial aspirations.....which seemed to take us further and further away from the finish line!

If you've been following this thread, the pace of our restoration has increased in direct proportion to the number of days before our trailer-warming party. I've progressed from buying screws and various other construction things at the local Home Depot to "staging" the interior...finding homes for all of the more fun purchases which would bring our merchandising vision to life. I'm attaching some photos taken by a friend about three weeks ago - hope you like them:
Attachment 106998

Attachment 107000

Attachment 106999

Attachment 107001
Old 07-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Attachments don't open. Says to contact administrator.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Post Merchandising 101 - Hope these Images loaded!!

Inspire, Engage, Connect and Deliver the Unexpected. A few weeks ago some darling neighbors came by the trailer - Jeany made our drapes as a belated wedding gift and had seen the AS a few times...her husband Leer had not. Since I can't figure out how how to load photos on this thread I'll upload some of his beautiful photos on my Gallery in the next few hours so please take a look! My husband Doug and I had tears in our eyes as we looked at them. Absolutely amazing to see our work through the lens of someone else

Cheers
Old 07-18-2010, 05:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Still can't open them
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:16 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Angry Photos

I cannot figure out how to upload images to the thread. Will post them to my gallery shortly....apologies
Old 07-18-2010, 05:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
I looked at Greg's site. WOW. Sure hope you figure put how to upload pics. Maybe they are too large. Looks real nice.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:12 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Uncle!!!

OK, I give....I can't figure out this whole thread/photo posting thing.....uploading my from computer didn't work, copying the picture didn't work, and I don't have a URL (tried my Facebook link but that didn't work)

I did just post some photos in my Gallery so please take a look there

If anyone out there can give me instructions it would be awesome
M
Old 07-18-2010, 07:40 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Above the box where you type your message you will see a paperclip, click on it and you should be able to figure out from there.

SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1969 tradewind, midcentury modern, modernism week, remodel, renovation, vintage airstream