Old 04-26-2019, 10:47 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1958 18' "Footer"
North Pole , Alaska
I am hoping to get mine ordered today, and will end up just ordering another sheet of 3003 .032 unless you tell me that you can use something different, and I will just swap one sheet out for that.

badpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:55 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
North Pole , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by badpaddler View Post
I used 3003 for the interior and the exterior skin, and 5052 for the belly pan. Depending on year, they used the 2024 alclad for the exterior, but it is hard to get get up here.

5052 is strong, and corrosion resistant, but is prone to cracking when bent to far (why it is good for belly pans). It also doesn't dent as easily as 3003.

3003 is maleable, and shines up very well. As far as shining when polished, it is as close as you can get to 2024 alclad.

Here is a good writeup.

https://www.modernmetals.com/item/11...termarket.html

The sheets that I would order would be .032 3003. If you don't want to go with that, then let me know and we can order you a different alloy (like some 5052 for your belly pan), we could change one sheet of the 3003 to whatever you want and combine shipping.

I also attached a PDF that shows what they used for exteriors throughout the years. Depending on how big your patch panels are, I may have enough sitting around for you.

Thank you, that was very helpful!

I just need a couple square feet of the 3003, so a sheet may be overkill.

I am definitely interested in a sheet (or more) of the 5052, however. I sent you a PM with my contact information.

Dan

Dwwalker18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:37 AM   #45
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Healy , Alaska
FYI for Alaskan Airstream enthusiasts, I just saw a 1966 Airstream Safari 22 listed in the Peninsula Man Stuff Facebook classifieds. Iíd love a smaller one than my 31 footer but out of the budget for now.
AlaskaElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:05 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
North Pole , Alaska
Finally got out to do some more work on Otis. Didnít accomplish too terribly much, but I was able to remove some more random rivets and the old Airstream Logo that a PO had repurposed to say something else.

I also started removing the old vent caps. I thought this was going to be much easier than it was. I got held up by what I suspect is an obscene amount of silicone sealant. It is a bear to get off. That job is about 80% complete. Iíll re-attack it throughout the week with the hopes of completing the ďclean upĒ by next weekend.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:18 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
North Pole , Alaska
Itís been a busy week for Otis! Week started off by meeting Badpaddler and getting a few sheets for the belly pan. It was great meeting another enthusiast, especially one that has much more experience and know-how than I do!

Last week got in a shipment of various supplies for VTS, which included some new vent caps. Throughout the week I painted them so they are ready when itís time to install. I used automotive paint and clear coat so hopefully it stands up over time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3907.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	632.1 KB
ID:	340591

The new axles also arrived this week, after a two month journey. I ordered them from Colin Hyde, and they arrived in good condition. The great irony of this is that up until a few years ago I lived less than a hundred miles from his shop. Now, Itís closer to 4000 miles!

Name:	IMG_3906.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	457.8 KB
ID:	340592

I was able to nearly complete three minor tasks this week as well. Iím about 90% complete scraping off the old sealant and crud from the shell. I used some plastic ďrazorĒ blades I found on amazon. They worked reasonably well and didnít scratch up the shell. Next round Iím going to try to use goof off to finish.

I started to seal around the wheel wells. I did the area surrounding them on the interior of the trailer, but will wait until I change out the axles to attack it from the outside.

I also made some good headway sealing the rear area by the bumper. First picture is as it was after I put the shell back on without thinking through the problem. I used some aluminum flashing to build a barrier. In the third photo youíll see the flashing hanging down. I left it unfinished for when I build out the rear bumper storage area.

Name:	IMG_3899.JPG
Size:	445.4 KB
ID:	340593

Name:	IMG_3900.JPG
Size:	467.2 KB
ID:	340594

Name:	IMG_3902.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	735.5 KB
ID:	340595

Final project of the week was fixing the area around the door. This included cutting out the subfloor so the door frame mounts flush. I also took the opportunity to add a piece of flashing to cover the gap between the door frame and the frame to help keep some water out. It was looking really good until I started tightening everything back down, and then it started to wrinkle.

Name:	IMG_3903.JPG
Size:	483.3 KB
ID:	340602

But, when the door is closed itís hardly noticeable.

Name:	IMG_3905.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	364.1 KB
ID:	340603

Iím considering riveting another piece of aluminum over top that is cut to fit, just for aesthetics.

All in all, a productive week!

Dan
Old 05-14-2019, 04:02 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1958 18' "Footer"
North Pole , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwwalker18 View Post
Itís been a busy week for Otis! Week started off by meeting Badpaddler and getting a few sheets for the belly pan. It was great meeting another enthusiast, especially one that has much more experience and know-how than I do!

Last week got in a shipment of various supplies for VTS, which included some new vent caps. Throughout the week I painted them so they are ready when itís time to install. I used automotive paint and clear coat so hopefully it stands up over time.

Attachment 340591

The new axles also arrived this week, after a two month journey. I ordered them from Colin Hyde, and they arrived in good condition. The great irony of this is that up until a few years ago I lived less than a hundred miles from his shop. Now, Itís closer to 4000 miles!

Attachment 340592

I was able to nearly complete three minor tasks this week as well. Iím about 90% complete scraping off the old sealant and crud from the shell. I used some plastic ďrazorĒ blades I found on amazon. They worked reasonably well and didnít scratch up the shell. Next round Iím going to try to use goof off to finish.

I started to seal around the wheel wells. I did the area surrounding them on the interior of the trailer, but will wait until I change out the axles to attack it from the outside.

I also made some good headway sealing the rear area by the bumper. First picture is as it was after I put the shell back on without thinking through the problem. I used some aluminum flashing to build a barrier. In the third photo youíll see the flashing hanging down. I left it unfinished for when I build out the rear bumper storage area.

Attachment 340593
Attachment 340594
Attachment 340595

Final project of the week was fixing the area around the door. This included cutting out the subfloor so the door frame mounts flush. I also took the opportunity to add a piece of flashing to cover the gap between the door frame and the frame to help keep some water out. It was looking really good until I started tightening everything back down, and then it started to wrinkle.

Attachment 340602

But, when the door is closed itís hardly noticeable.

Attachment 340603

Iím considering riveting another piece of aluminum over top that is cut to fit, just for aesthetics.

All in all, a productive week!

Dan
Looking good! I am just a bit closer to getting myself in more trouble. ;-) Glad to see you are getting her done. I have some more stuff for you, but I will text that info for ya.

Seth
badpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:17 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
North Pole , Alaska
Question for the group:
Should I remove the old awning mounting rail? I have no awning to mount to it at present. On the ends itís a little beat up, but doesnít seem irreparable. Eventually I plan on replacing the awning, just not sure if Iím going to want to keep the same rail up there. Thanks for your thoughts!

Tags
1967, 24ft, alaska, full monte, shell off, tradewind, vintage