Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2015, 02:31 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Dubois , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
HOLY SMOKE! The third picture sent me back through the thread looking at the rear segments. Did you replace the panels or is that the best job of straightening out a dent I've seen in ages?

Details girl, details. What big events surprises and upgrades have been done to get her to that much "shiney hiney"?

Paula
Hi Paula! I believe two of the panels were replaced, another was popped. The large rear dent obviously bowed into the bathroom quite a bit, but popped right back into place. It won't be a perfect interior, but I don't expect perfection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbiii View Post
You owe somebody a big favor... that is in quite a bit better shape than it was when it was purchased. I'm guessing you have one hell of a dad.
I hope you remembered him well on his special day.

Chuck
Hi Chuck! I owe no one a favor, because they were paid beyond fairly for their work. I should have clarified that, of course! We located a guy who does exterior work in Indiana and the trailer has been in his possession for the entire time I've been without updates. He's a bit of an artist - fantastic work, but not great at deadlines.

You are correct though, I do have a phenomenal father! We're in a very rural area of Wyoming so great "finds" like this don't really happen. He shares my love of rescuing old things and has facilitated the entire process from Michigan. I've since rescued a 1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer for $600. My husband and I have been getting the old rig road worthy - my dad is hugely supportive of the project yet again. I couldn't ask for more

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
...Keep us posted on your adventures with this thing. I'm curious about your trip from Michigan to Wyoming with the trailer. Sometimes pulling old Airstreams that have been long dormant causes all sorts of excitement, like doors blowing open, vents flying off, bearings failing, and lights not working.

It appears you have quite a museum piece there. Enjoy it, and enjoy Air Forums. I sure have.

David
Hi David! Our trip wasn't without... complications. Honestly, it went far better than expected give the almost non-existent preparations we had time for. I'm not sure if I mentioned it up thread, but my husband and I own a powersports dealership. Since we're the only owners/operators, we had a VERY short window to get to make the trip, 24 hours each way. I realize there's nothing smart about making a trip with almost zero preparation, but we had to get it done.

We know the trailer has a solid frame. It was exposed, inspected & painted from the guy who did restoration work. We mounted a new set of tires and picked up a stabilizer hitch (am I using the correct terminology here?) We own a 2014 Chevy 2500 Duramax and regularly use it to tow all manner of things larger and heavier than the Airstream. I'm thankful that we knew we could trust the truck and only had to worry about the trailer.

The weather in Wyoming and Nebraska in May really can't be predicted - we've had flawless trips, we've been stuck in an ice storm with the highways closed for 5 days. We hit a blizzard on the way to Michigan and almost constant rain on the drive home. Not ideal, but doable.

Really there were only a few problems - the door latched but wouldn't lock.... zip ties to the rescue! We lost a vent roughly halfway through and someone warned us in time to get the second vent secured. My husband was inside trying to come up with a waterproof solution and opened the closet door. The mirror fell off the door and broke, grazing his face right next to his eye. It could have been SO MUCH WORSE. He was pissed (understandably!) but fine. I'm pretty sure we had one rear light out, but the brakes and turn signals worked just fine. Otherwise, I don't think we can remember another issue from the trip. It wasn't perfect, but it went better than expected.

1963 Tradewind
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Duramax
Milkshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:35 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Northborough , Massachusetts
Wyoming - yes I remember it well...

Back a few years we were going to the WBCCI International Rally in Boise in a brand new 36' motor home... It was snowing in the pass after we left Green River when we came through in July. The real kicker was a wing plow was barreling up the other side of the highway and the snow was traveling in a high curve all the way across the 50' median strip and landing on the side of the highway I was traveling downhill on. Stacked behind me were a line of semi's and there was no way I could stop or avoid the stream of heavy snow headed my way. It destroyed the drivers side windshield though luckily it did not push it in on me. It ripped the shroud off of the air conditioner on the roof (12' up). Luckily I was wearing my wide brimmed western hat and that caught all of the glass and kept it out of my eyes. I probably poured a pound of fine glass shards out of the hats rim. Glass went all the way back into the bedroom in our 36' motor home. I was steady as a rock even though the glass that lodged itself into the inside of my elbows was cutting me while I continued to drive another 3 miles to a exit and called the Wyoming State Police to report the incident. Don't know if anything happened to the yahoo driving that plow... but It could have gone very badly if I was not the calm and collected person I am. My wife and the 2 kids with us were amazed with my calmness in the situation. Unfortunately that is my only memory of Wyoming. Maybe someday I will have the chance to make a better one.

Chuck
cwbiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:27 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Well Milkshed, I think your "recovery mission" went better than some. Thanks for the report. Glad the DH wasn't cut on the mirror. Your Trade Wind is looking good and it won't be too long before you can take it on a short trip somewhere. If you can find the time. Running a retail business is a lot of work and a lot of time.

My 66 Trade Wind is heading out for the first time in years the first week in August. We'll count the parts that fly off.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:00 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Northborough , Massachusetts
Ours too!

Our 10 year project is slated to hit the road for the first time since the full Monty in August as well. We are going to create a renegade rally with a bunch of our camping friends to celebrate. Probably somewhere in Western MA along the Connecticut River. Counting the days...

Chuck
cwbiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags